LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Anyone Coming From Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 01:11 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfront
what is your opinion of the cayenne gts with offroad package...this is not a setup question, I am done arguing about LR... just wondering your thoughts
Isn't that just a hyped version of touarege 2?? IMHO, i prefer RR over Cayenne (either version). I am sure that it is quite capable (as is RR with rear locker). Reliability and durability are major concerns for me because the Touareg 1 (and thus Cayenne) have major issues (both mechanical and electronics). The VW Touareg forum is much like Rangerovers.net...every other thread is a problem thread.

If you are willing to put up with this, then i much prefer RR over Cayenne because RR has simply more elegance and style. Cayenne looks like a bloated frog or something. You never catch me criticizing the current RR's looks, style, and pure elegance inside and out. (The LX570 lacks such IMHO except maybe the interior...Lexus could have done so much to the LX570 to compete with RR in these areas, but they failed short.) However, if RR is the choice, then i would plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off...resale value will stink, either from rising gas prices or from TATA takeover or both. (BTW, do you have a RR at the present time?)

In addition, i do not see the point in having a sport SUV. It just does not make sense for me. If you want a sports car, then get a real sports car, even if it's just a Miata or Cayman S. Are you really gonna take the Cayenne off-road a lot?? If so, then why not get something that is more "disposable"? A FJ Cruiser or Jeep Wrangler for example. To be honest, i went with the G500 because back in 2004, there was not much out there for my needs...i had an '02 4runner 4wd, so i wanted something more capable. In 2004, the FJ Cruiser did not exist. The Rubicon was there but it had no ABS, which is a mandatory safety thing for me.

If i had to do all over again in 2008, then i would go with the FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE or maybe Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The g500 is great and all for my off-roading needs (i have not reach it's limits yet), but it is damn expensive to feed (5-6 mpg off-roading, 13 mpg on highway on premium gas) and repair (due to off-road damage)...one little plastic bumper end runs $200/each! It has a nice heritage and it's handbuilt to last a long time. But, it rides really aweful compared to modern SUVs, which is OK with me but my wife hates it! I have plenty of tree marks and scratches and etc on my g500, which hurts when you look back at how much i paid for it...but for me, if i buy something, then i am gonna use it to it's potential. It's like buying a Ferrari and then driving it like a grandma...or buying a Hummer H1 for mall driving.

Sorry for long winded post....

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-25-08 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 09:49 AM
chicagoSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default range rover

I love my supercharged range rover. Its way better looking then the LX. The rover in much move suv and the LX. It a monster off road and will keep up with anything on the highway. Ton's of power and great views( no blind spots). I am sad to see it go. my lease will end this june. Still not sure if i want another one. I might be getting into a sedan. No need to go off road any more as moving to the big city. Can't go wrong with either but the range is in another league.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Coming From Range Rover-this4.jpg  
Old 05-17-08, 09:51 AM
chicagoSC
Driver

Default range>lx

another thing the lx can't touch.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Coming From Range Rover-this9.jpg  
Old 05-17-08, 09:52 AM
chicagoSC
Driver

Default range>lx

one more pic
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Coming From Range Rover-this8.jpg  
Old 05-17-08, 04:30 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by chicagoSC
I love my supercharged range rover. Its way better looking then the LX. The rover in much move suv and the LX. It a monster off road and will keep up with anything on the highway. Ton's of power and great views( no blind spots). I am sad to see it go. my lease will end this june. Still not sure if i want another one. I might be getting into a sedan. No need to go off road any more as moving to the big city. Can't go wrong with either but the range is in another league.
The only thing that the RR has over the LX is style. Nothing else...sorry to break it to you. How can it be a "monster off-road" if it breaks down on the trail from a busted front differential (every 30K miles), broken air suspension (limp-home mode), tranny failure (so much for ZF reliabiliity!), etc.. I am sure that you can search on Range Rover forum about all the problems with the RR.

But, you're right...style is where RR excels....

BTW, do you have any pics of your RR off-roading?? I find it hard to believe that you can off-road anything beyond a water puddle at a local mall with those rims & tires.

Last edited by tigmd99; 05-17-08 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 05:45 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dont agree. I like the body of the 570 (and the 470) much better than the Range Rover. Also ease of use, comfort and finally power (now in the 570).

To each their own and like I said before, the Range Rover is a great car, just not for me.
Old 05-17-08, 06:15 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Range Rover is given a much worse reputation than it deserves from a reliability perspective. I have had mine for a year and have had zero problems. Same with the people I know personally who own them. It is the older ones that have problems (much like my older RX). Go on any number of forums with older cars and you will see problem after problem. Lexus has less but still has them (I can't even begin to tell you how sick I am about the LS460 "wind noise issue."

chicagoSC, I love to have mine in the city. You can see well, people don't damage the bumpers much in parallel parking because it is much higher and people tend to get out of the way more. It is always the car I take into the city. Keep yours!

Also, for the record, Lexus and Range Rover can live together in harmony. below is my proof
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Coming From Range Rover-rear-x-2.jpg  
Old 05-17-08, 07:28 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Wind noise vs. front diff blowout...hmmm, which one is more devastating? Or dash rattle vs. limp-home mode for tranny and suspension...hmmm, this is a tough one!

In other words, there are minor issues and then there are major engineering dumb-dumbs...you pick your poison.
Old 05-17-08, 07:41 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Oh yeah, here is a good example of the monstrous off-roader known as 2008 RRSC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAm4FWvDJWs

Oh yeah, this is the perfect off-roader....

Last edited by tigmd99; 05-18-08 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-17-08, 10:08 PM
trusso
Pole Position

1 word, 8 letters..
W A R R A N T Y !!!!

I think people's love of RR would be much less if there was no supercharged version.
RR and LR are both great cars but the extra power brought about by the supercharged (I feel) is what made the car become more desirable.
I remember being a bellman/valet at a hotel when I was a kid and Range Rover having meetings one day, we parked probably 20 Range Rovers and I was in heaven (early 90's).
Most fun job ever !!! Not just the Range Rovers, I learned to DRIVE from having that job...
Old 05-18-08, 06:12 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I said it before and will say it again (even though I will get flamed), Range Rover simply has more prestige. You can talk about break downs, differentials, etc, all you want but the prestige and exclusivity is there which are my favorite things about the car.
Old 05-18-08, 06:51 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Prestige...i agree with...but let's see how long that lasts now with TATA taking over.
Old 05-18-08, 08:14 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by luxury1
I said it before and will say it again (even though I will get flamed), Range Rover simply has more prestige. You can talk about break downs, differentials, etc, all you want but the prestige and exclusivity is there which are my favorite things about the car.
I think overall the Land Rover has more prestige than Lexus as a brand. But I think LX 570 has just as much prestige as the Range Rover and I also believe the Lx470 has more prestige. Same thing with the 200 series Land Cruiser.

Cars like the ES350 and IS250 weaker the prestige of Lexus.
Old 05-18-08, 08:49 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by luxury1
Prestige and exclusivity?
Are you buying a car for you to drive or to be seen driving in? (which is OK with me)
I agree that the LR has more "show" than the 570 but I'm OK with that. I dont want to be spotted (or targeted) at the mall or just out and about.
I havent seen any 570's on music videos or on "Cribs". I was just watching "Life of Ryan" on MTV..he has a RR.

Last edited by trusso; 05-18-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-18-08, 09:43 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think overall the Land Rover has more prestige than Lexus as a brand. But I think LX 570 has just as much prestige as the Range Rover and I also believe the Lx470 has more prestige. Same thing with the 200 series Land Cruiser.

Cars like the ES350 and IS250 weaker the prestige of Lexus.
Huh?! You think that a Freelander (aka Freeloader) is prestigious??? LR3??

Let's face it...RR (+/- SC) is the ONLY Land Rover product that is truly aimed at the luxury crowd.

But, just to play along and using your thought process here (which makes no sense BTW)...if you think that LR is more prestigious than Lexus, then why would LR's top-notch numero-uno product be less prestigious than any of Lexus vehicles, esp. one that is basically a Toyota product???

Land Cruiser prestigious & luxurious?? Hmm, you mean the horrible gawdy-looking fake wood, hard surfaces, and extremely bland styling?? It's a great SUV for what it is, but it doesn't have much of style nor elegance to it.

Last edited by tigmd99; 05-18-08 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Coming From Range Rover