LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Anyone Coming From Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08 | 10:46 AM
trusso
Pole Position

I understand the statement by Pagemaster
Land Rover has a 60+ year history and has been favored by The Queen of England and carried her marque for years (although I couldnt find the fact that it currently does). I'm not sure what other British car The Queen would marque since I don't see her rolling in as Aston day to day.
This history (let's say "prestige") is much different that Lil Jon pulling up to a club in one.
The name Land Rover makes me think of the history of the automobile, the name Range Rover makes me think of MTV.
I believe that Pagemaster is talking about brand recognition rather than which car is best or favorite or even most reliable.

BTW, LUXURY1, great looking pic of the RR and LS !!
That's a "edgy" picture considering the forum it's in...haha
They look happy together !!
Old 05-18-08 | 10:59 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Wouldn't "heritage" be a more proper term then??
Old 05-18-08 | 11:23 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Land Cruiser prestigious & luxurious??
Land Cruiser and Range Rover go head to head in the UK as well as other places in the world such as South Africa and New Zealand. I doubt think that LX is even sold in the UK. Middle East the Land Cruiser is one of the most desirable SUVs one can own complete with three different engine choices which range from 4.0, 4.7 and diesel.

In New Zealand you can shop for a Land Cruiser diesel or even a Range Rover diesel. Over in the UK....the active height control (AHC) suspension is used in the Land Cruiser.

, hard surfaces, and extremely bland styling
I have sat in the Land Cruiser I am not sure if you have. The door panels are very well constructed and there are plenty of soft surfaces that look hard but are in fact soft. All materials of the Land Cruiser of of premium quality.

horrible gawdy-looking fake wood
I prefer the wood in the Land Cruiser and current Avalon over the Lexus any day. Just my preference. Having real wood trim makes no difference to me.
Old 05-18-08 | 11:56 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

, then why would LR's top-notch numero-uno product be less prestigious ??
The point is. Land Cruiser is almost a brand in itself outside of the name Toyota.

For example. You have:

Land Cruiser prado
Land Cruiser 70 series
Land Cruiser 200 series
and Toyota even claims on the Land Cruiser heritage website that the FJ is part of Land Cruiser.

All of these are all still in production.

than any of Lexus vehicles, esp. one that is basically a Toyota product
With the LX570 or Land Cruiser compared to Range Rover. You really are buying the vehicle LC/Lx than you are buying the brand Lexus where as other Lexus models you are buying more of the brand than the individual model.

Last edited by pagemaster; 05-18-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-18-08 | 12:12 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trusso
Prestige and exclusivity?
Are you buying a car for you to drive or to be seen driving in? (which is OK with me)
I agree that the LR has more "show" than the 570 but I'm OK with that. I dont want to be spotted (or targeted) at the mall or just out and about.
I havent seen any 570's on music videos or on "Cribs". I was just watching "Life of Ryan" on MTV..he has a RR.
I bought the car that I built up in my mind to be the greatest (under $100k). I may be shallow (and probably am) but I really do care about the prestige because I just feel better about myself, my accomplishments and the money I spent. I think a lot of people buy cars because of the way it makes them feel. As for being seen in it, I have all of the windows tinted so nobody knows who is inside which I also like.

I am also toying with the idea of buying a Bentley for the same reason. Are there better cars out there from one perspective or another??? Of course, but the Bentley has the same prestige and exclusivity appeal to me (even more than Range Rover).

Last edited by luxury1; 05-18-08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-18-08 | 12:19 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I may be shallow (and probably am) but I really do care about the prestige because I just feel better about myself, my accomplishments and the money I spent. I think a lot of people buy cars because of the way it makes them feel.
I resepct this but in contrast.

I am planning on buying a Land Cruiser instead of a LX570 because it is more low key less popular than the LX. I simply do not want the Lexus badge on my next vehicle but I want a vehicle that is just as high quality.
Old 05-18-08 | 12:40 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I have sat in the Land Cruiser I am not sure if you have. The door panels are very well constructed and there are plenty of soft surfaces that look hard but are in fact soft. All materials of the Land Cruiser of of premium quality.

I prefer the wood in the Land Cruiser and current Avalon over the Lexus any day. Just my preference. Having real wood trim makes no difference to me.
Uhhh...didn't we have discussion before about the Land Cruiser?? Yes, pagemaster, i have sat in one, testdriven one, and even crawl underneath of one.

Premium quality? Yeah, that fake wood looks ultra-premium alright! Hint: car costing this much should have real wood. The fake crap in my Corolla looks better than that junk in the TLC! The lower dash is good old hard plastic, is it not? I can't remember for sure, but i think that the lower half of the door is hard plastic.

I can live with the fake wood on my Sienna or even Corolla, but that fake wood on the TLC is just plain hideous! It attempts to copy the REAL non-glossy wood of the Range Rover (which i love).

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think that the leather in the Lexus is significantly better than TLC's leather. The TLC leather doesn't seem to look any better (or different) than my Sienna's leather.

This is why i think that the LX570 interior is far better than TLC. And no, pagemaster, the TLC interior is NOT better constructed. In all likelihood, the Lexus interior is better assembled with better materials and with more sound deadening materials.

Last edited by tigmd99; 05-18-08 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-18-08 | 12:47 PM
tigmd99
Racer

The point is. Land Cruiser is almost a brand in itself outside of the name Toyota.

For example. You have:

Land Cruiser prado
Land Cruiser 70 series
Land Cruiser 200 series
and Toyota even claims on the Land Cruiser heritage website that the FJ is part of Land Cruiser.

All of these are all still in production.
Could it be that the "Land Cruiser" nomenclature is used to describe Toyota body-on-frame SUVs in general??
Old 05-18-08 | 12:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

I resepct this but in contrast.

I am planning on buying a Land Cruiser instead of a LX570 because it is more low key less popular than the LX. I simply do not want the Lexus badge on my next vehicle but I want a vehicle that is just as high quality.
I can respect this...but i don't know if i can live without the Mark Levinson Reference audio system.... I would kill to have that system.... The JBL in the TLC was OK-good when i listened to it.

Last edited by tigmd99; 05-18-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-18-08 | 12:54 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

You can do what i've done Re-badge the LX with the Toyota insignia. I feel it is much more true and carries higher "prestige" than either Lexus or RangeRover (for me, minimally).

For all the historical and other reasons my 470 is the LandCruiser Cygnus, and I prefer it that way.
Old 05-18-08 | 01:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think that the leather in the Lexus is significantly better than TLC's leather.
Not to me. The Lx leather is very nice but will crack quicker IMO. Different buyers, different leather. I also like the seat design of the LC better than I do the Lexus. The LC leather is not Tundra grade but is nicer.

The lower dash is good old hard plastic, is it not? I can't remember for sure, but i think that the lower half of the door is hard plastic.
Both LX570 and LC are using hard plastic for the lower dash and door panels. In most instances the lower dash and doors are the same grades and design.

[QUOTE]This is why i think that the LX570 interior is far better than TLC.[/QUOTE

Both vehicles are built in the same assembly line and using part that are pretty much the same. Both are very high quality and are equal IMO and I am glad they are more different than before. I like the dash and design layout more in LC than the Lexus. As for materials they are the on par but different. I also do not want and adaptive suspension nor do I want a power rear hatch. But I would like a power second row in the LC.

The LX is in all honesty a up level trim of the Land Cruiser. I just prefer the 200 series Land Cruiser more than I do the LX570....I did like the Lx470 more than the 100 series/.

Last edited by pagemaster; 05-18-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-18-08 | 01:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Could it be that the "Land Cruiser" nomenclature is used to describe Toyota body-on-frame SUVs in general??

Where does Sequioa and 4runner fit then?
Old 05-18-08 | 02:19 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Sequoia and 4runner are USA creations....
Old 05-18-08 | 02:20 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Not to me. The Lx leather is very nice but will crack quicker IMO. Different buyers, different leather. I also like the seat design of the LC better than I do the Lexus. The LC leather is not Tundra grade but is nicer.
If the leather is same as my Sienna (which i am sure that it is), then cracking will be part of life. My Sienna already has plenty of creases...and it's only 6 month old and garaged.
Old 05-18-08 | 02:20 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Wouldn't "heritage" be a more proper term then??
I would say both.
I would say the heritage of the Land Rover brand is prestigious.
The "problem" (in quotes because I use the term very loosely) is that you are very well versed in the world of four wheeling and automobiles and most of the world does not look that deeply into it. Most of the world will view the Range Rover brochure and be sold on the images and prestige of the car and brand.
I was noticing today that every other car seems to be a Range Rover and every other Range Rover seems to be driven by an 18 year old "Daddy's Princess" (ala Kim Kardashian)
I bet none of these girls care what company owns RR, what the parent company is or even what the MPG is, but they are causing RR sales because of the prestige.
I see the prestige on a few different levels.

Quick Reply: Anyone Coming From Range Rover