LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

vibration revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 11:28 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perry, you are not alone, my wife and I are extremely disappointed by the lack of cool air from our "air conditioned" seats. However, I don't think there is much Lexus can do to improve the performance (according to my service rep). As to the vibration, I can still feel it in my steering wheel but much diminished (4000 miles). I am hoping it continues to decrease.
Old 07-22-08, 03:01 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

good to know....i am only at 2500 miles....maybe mine will yet improve.
Thanks mikeivan.
Old 07-23-08, 02:42 AM
black570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can take you all back to the original topic of vibration. IBack to the topic of vibration now. Since my last post, I have been trying to come up with a better description of this vibration. I think “buzzing sensation” felt while holding the steering wheel and accelerator pedal describes it better than saying vibration. I say this because vibration might indicate to people a more pronounced effect – akin to when wheels need to be balanced – that they might not realize that they are experiencing this same problem.

Pemarsh, have you tried to drive other LX570s for comparison?
Old 07-23-08, 03:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts

It is a "buzzing" that is mostly felt in the stearing wheel and not heard by the driver. It happens at a certain RPM and throttle load and can go and come by changing either.
Old 07-23-08, 07:36 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

I agree...can not be heard. Best felt in steering wheel and pedal. RPM based.

I have not driven another LX570---none around to drive---they are still being sold when they hit the lots by people who have pre-ordered them still.
Old 07-23-08, 08:54 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts

I still think it is a sympathetic or harmonic vibration caused by a dampening problem with the engine. Not uncommon for a new vehicle and is usually eliminated in the next year models. There is no doubt that Lexus knows about it, even if they do not admit it. Their nationwide service computers have a wealth of information that we are not allowed into. This feedback from all the dealers is what gets things just like this addressed.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 07-23-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 10:14 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Does anyone think it might be the driveline or something like that??
Old 08-15-08, 11:51 AM
uvafan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pemarsh's description is exactly how I would describe the "problem" - the vibration is most noticeable when the gas pedal is depressed and not through the entire acceleration - seems to come and go and increase/decrease in strength of vibration throughout the acceleration process. If you stop accelerating and coast, the vibration stops. If you reach a speed where there is no vibration, and maintain that speed, the vibration does not return.

I have 750 miles on my LX570. I took it into the dealership today and the technician noticed the vibration during the test drive but said it was "normal" vibration in large trucks/SUV's and had to do with fan torque. I know nothing about engines/fans so I didn't question the "it's normal" assessment.
Old 08-15-08, 12:11 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

at least your dealer was able to reproduce it, mine just said..."could not feel it".
Old 08-15-08, 05:48 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Default It's Normal!

Originally Posted by uvafan
pemarsh's description is exactly how I would describe the "problem" - the vibration is most noticeable when the gas pedal is depressed and not through the entire acceleration - seems to come and go and increase/decrease in strength of vibration throughout the acceleration process. If you stop accelerating and coast, the vibration stops. If you reach a speed where there is no vibration, and maintain that speed, the vibration does not return.

I have 750 miles on my LX570. I took it into the dealership today and the technician noticed the vibration during the test drive but said it was "normal" vibration in large trucks/SUV's and had to do with fan torque. I know nothing about engines/fans so I didn't question the "it's normal" assessment.
Wow, great post. I never thought about the fan. My vibration is much reduced but still discernible and it bugs the hell out of me. Comes and goes without much pattern except during acceleration. I have been riding with my right hand on the shift lever and I don't feel the vibration there like I do in the steering wheel. I want to get some hard data for my service rep when I do my 5000 mile. I am getting so paranoid about this, I even thought I felt it in the steering wheel of my wife's LS 430. Anyways, good with the bad, the sound system in this vehicle is amazing. I have loaded all my fave CD's and still only 35% on the hard drive, even Willie Nelson sounds good. Big road trip next month with some 4 wheeling in New Mexico.