LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus LX570 vs Mereceds GL550.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 09:18 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The LX is pretty quick...0-60 in the mid 6 second mark.
Actually the LX is the slowest vehicle using the 5.7 V8. 0-60 mph time is 7.4 seconds and this is using premium fuel.

The Land Cruiser is around 6.5 seconds. The reason for the slow performance of the LX is because of the 3 ton weight it carries around.
Old 06-02-09, 02:21 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Actually the LX is the slowest vehicle using the 5.7 V8. 0-60 mph time is 7.4 seconds and this is using premium fuel.

The Land Cruiser is around 6.5 seconds. The reason for the slow performance of the LX is because of the 3 ton weight it carries around.
I certainly am not questioning your stat's but I have to say that something is strange in those numbers.

The LX570 and LC are essentially the same vehicle with the exception of trim and some goodies.

Edmunds list the curb weight of the LX @ 5,995 lbs while the LC is 5,690 lbs. I'm not sure that it makes since that 300 lbs would explain nearly one second in 0-60 time.

Does anyone else think that's odd?
Old 06-02-09, 03:32 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I certainly am not questioning your stat's but I have to say that something is strange in those numbers.

The LX570 and LC are essentially the same vehicle with the exception of trim and some goodies.

Edmunds list the curb weight of the LX @ 5,995 lbs while the LC is 5,690 lbs. I'm not sure that it makes since that 300 lbs would explain nearly one second in 0-60 time.

Does it really matter??!! These are heavy duty SUVs we're talking about...none of us will race them. If anyone wants bragging rights, then you have bought the wrong vehicle! I rate SUVs by what they are made to do...utility, capability, etc., not on speed or handling. If i wanted something along those lines, then i would get a BMW X5 or something.
Old 06-02-09, 07:36 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Does it really matter??!! These are heavy duty SUVs we're talking about...none of us will race them. If anyone wants bragging rights, then you have bought the wrong vehicle! I rate SUVs by what they are made to do...utility, capability, etc., not on speed or handling. If i wanted something along those lines, then i would get a BMW X5 or something.
It only matters to satisfy an intellectual curiousity. Two very heavy vehicles (nearly 6,000 lbs) with identical drive trains that weigh very near one another should produce similar acceleration times shouldn't they?
Old 06-02-09, 07:54 PM
tigmd99
Racer

And the only way to know the answer to your question (and pagemaster's claim) is to test both vehicles on the same day, by the same driver, in the same direction...in other words, under the same exact condition...the answer that you are looking for will never be answered.
Old 06-02-09, 10:46 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Lexus.com states 7.4sec 0-60mph for the LX. Motor Trend claims the Land Cruiser is at 6.5 secs.

Last edited by pagemaster; 06-02-09 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 12:02 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Does it really matter??!! These are heavy duty SUVs we're talking about...none of us will race them. .
I disagree. We have gotten to the point now where Toyota's SUVS such as the Land Cruiser now have dual VVTi, 6 speed auto, pre crash, cameras (LX models) and why can't I have my outstanding performance. And this is why I believe Toyota should go IRS on the 200 models.
Old 06-03-09, 06:08 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Lexus.com states 7.4sec 0-60mph for the LX. Motor Trend claims the Land Cruiser is at 6.5 secs.
And we all know that Lexus estimates are usually conservative. Here is the real test by C&D: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Basically, 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, matching Mercedes GL450. End of discussion.
Old 06-03-09, 06:10 AM
tigmd99
Racer

I disagree. We have gotten to the point now where Toyota's SUVS such as the Land Cruiser now have dual VVTi, 6 speed auto, pre crash, cameras (LX models) and why can't I have my outstanding performance. And this is why I believe Toyota should go IRS on the 200 models.
To be honest, i am dumbfounded by people who buy big SUVs and care about a 1 second difference in 0-60. Of course, the actual difference is only 0.2 seconds!
Old 06-03-09, 07:58 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

And we all know that Lexus estimates are usually conservative. Here is the real test by C&D: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Basically, 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, matching Mercedes GL450. End of discussion.
I couldn't care less if it matches the GL or not but the much closer time to the quoted acceleration of the nearly identical Land Cruiser satisfies my intellectual curiosity.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-09, 08:15 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

I couldn't care less if it matches the GL or not but the much closer time to the quoted acceleration of the nearly identical Land Cruiser satisfies my intellectual curiosity.

Thanks.
The GL550 is kind of a beast (for an SUV) the 0-60 mph is 5.9 seconds (source: C&D Short Take Road Test) and contrary to what has been said it comes almost totally loaded (options for GL550 at edmunds) for the $81K price of entry. The third row is usable by adults/full-sized teens that could be a big plus for people who need that capacity. The true passenger capacity is akin to a minivan or a Suburban than the Lx/LC.

Last edited by CRB; 06-03-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 09:15 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by CRB
The true passenger capacity is akin to a minivan or a Suburban than the Lx/LC.
Suburban, yes. Minivan, no way! The beauty of the minivan is that the 3rd row is quite useable AND there is still plenty of cargo space left.
Old 06-03-09, 12:15 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Suburban, yes. Minivan, no way! The beauty of the minivan is that the 3rd row is quite useable AND there is still plenty of cargo space left.
The third row in my brother-in-laws Chrysler Town&Country is less inhabitable for adults than the GL's third row. The seat in the T&C is just too low to the floor to be comfortable. I guess it depends on the people and the mini. Three across for adults is hell in either. And cargo space is another matter.

Last edited by CRB; 06-03-09 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 12:23 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by CRB
The third row in my brother-in-laws Chrysler Town&Country is less inhabitable for adults than the GL's third row. The seat in the T&C is just too low to the floor to be comfortable. I guess it depends on the people and the mini. Three across for adults is hell in either. Cargo space is another matter.
Yeah, T&C (esp. previous generation) did not have good cargo space. Take a look at a Sienna or Honda Ody next time...big difference.
Old 06-03-09, 04:43 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

and the driving dynamics in a modern minivan (Sienna and esp. Odyssesy) are far superior to most SUV's.

Quick Reply: Lexus LX570 vs Mereceds GL550.