LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

trailer hookup question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18 | 12:16 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Incidentally I was trying to fix the lights on my old (I mean real old) utility trailer last night. I gave up trying and went to Harbor Freight this morning and got a set of magnetic mount dual trailer lights similar to yours for $9.XX with a coupon (Regular price is $19.XX).

Mine was not LED like yours, but I figured for under 10 bucks plus tax I can buy at least 3X more for the price of one LED set. If I accidentally damage mine during transport, oh well, just get another set.

Very easy to set up......took me literally less than ten minutes!!! All prewired and stick them on to a metal base. I took the time to zip tie them to the trailer, so took all but ten minutes. If not, probably can do it in three minutes!!!

Here is the coupon (EXPIRING SOON):

Originally Posted by LX5280
I now have Trailer Lights ! Thanks for the info, for now I don't plan to pull anything more than a U-Haul trailer every once in a while. Good to know about the mirrors and the electric brake trailer feature.
I found the Wiring Harness on eBay for $75 + shipping and hooked it up last night, put in the 4-pin lighted connector to test it and it works.

I also use these magnetic towing lights on the back of my Yakima Hold-Up Hitch bike rack when I have the extension on it to hold 4 bikes, adds some safety I think -
Magnetic Tow Lights
Old 04-06-18 | 12:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

That is very strange.

I thought ALL LX570 CAME WITH WIRING HARNESS AND A TOW BAR/HITCH.

So yours came with the tow bar/hitch, but no wiring harness? If so, then either the dealership/port of entry prep station forgot to put all that on!!! Or someone "removed them" prior to "you".

Originally Posted by LX5280
Bringing back an old thread, but exactly what i was going to ask. My new to me 2014 didn't come with a the trailer wiring harness. I can see the factory wires underneath, just need to get the extension and the mount to the hitch. Is this the best option, to go with the OEM harness ?

Toyota Lexus Wiring Harness 82169-60080

This is what mine looks like
Old 04-06-18 | 11:05 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
That is very strange.

I thought ALL LX570 CAME WITH WIRING HARNESS AND A TOW BAR/HITCH.

So yours came with the tow bar/hitch, but no wiring harness? If so, then either the dealership/port of entry prep station forgot to put all that on!!! Or someone "removed them" prior to "you".
North American market 200 series all should have a class 3 receiver, a 7-pin "RV" pre-wired harness, and wiring to install a brake cotroller. Not certain what you mean by "tow bar".

As I've posted before, Toyota mounts the socket for the trailer's plug in a very hard-to-get-to location...not imo where it should be if you tow frequently. Easiest solution is to re-position the socket near the hitch...that avoids kneeling down on a muddy parking lot to check the plug before towing. Another thing I've found is that the factory socket is not even close to waterproof. I found better connectors on e-trailer.l
Old 04-07-18 | 07:56 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Yes.
Works the way it should.
Hardware lines up perfectly.

And I found it to be very much waterproof.
Old 04-13-18 | 08:31 AM
LX5280
Driver

Got the Hitch Bolts and installed (they were not included in my eBay order from an individual seller), it's very secure now. Zip ties worked well for a week. In case anyone needs these in the future, the part # is 91674-80818
Hitch Bolts

Last edited by LX5280; 04-13-18 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Add
Old 09-15-19 | 12:10 PM
MagnumP45
Driver

Default Missing RV plug

It looks like I'm in the same position as the original OP. I bought a used 2015 LX570, and my RV plug is missing. I have been searching around online, but not sure exactly what I need to add a plug like it should have been from the factory. Sorry for the poor terminology. I am very very new to towing. However, if all goes well with my trip in a couple weeks with a travel trailer, I might be towing regularly. I have seen plugs for sale online, but i am trying to figure out if I need some sort of wire to connect to the existing setup, and not sure how to mount the plug. Is there an all inclusive kit I can buy with instructions?

I'm going to continue to search, but thought I would ask here too, since time is of the essence. I have to take the trip in 2 weeks. I'm just glad I started checking this out in advance (somewhat). I really assumed that the plug was already installed.

Btw, here is what my setup currently looks like. Any pointers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-21 | 11:19 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
It looks like I'm in the same position as the original OP. I bought a used 2015 LX570, and my RV plug is missing. I have been searching around online, but not sure exactly what I need to add a plug like it should have been from the factory. Sorry for the poor terminology. I am very very new to towing. However, if all goes well with my trip in a couple weeks with a travel trailer, I might be towing regularly. I have seen plugs for sale online, but i am trying to figure out if I need some sort of wire to connect to the existing setup, and not sure how to mount the plug. Is there an all inclusive kit I can buy with instructions?

I'm going to continue to search, but thought I would ask here too, since time is of the essence. I have to take the trip in 2 weeks. I'm just glad I started checking this out in advance (somewhat). I really assumed that the plug was already installed.

Btw, here is what my setup currently looks like. Any pointers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. I can’t find anything in the LX. I don’t have any place for 7 pin or 4 pin whatever those are..
Can some please for the love of God 😳 post what part are needed to connect the electric wires from the Uhaul to LX ?... Please 😀😀😀
Old 04-18-21 | 11:21 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sheikhmax;[url=tel:11035634
11035634[/url]]
I am in the same boat. I can’t find anything in the LX. I don’t have any place for 7 pin or 4 pin whatever those are..
Can some please for the love of God 😳 post what part are needed to connect the electric wires from the Uhaul to LX ?... Please 😀😀😀
Looking forward for some info on that soon LX Warriors!!!....
Old 04-18-21 | 03:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Looking forward for some info on that soon LX Warriors!!!....
The 7-pin socket, if it is installed, will be between the spare tire and muffler. If the socket is not installed, see your Lexus or Toyota dealer and get one. The Land Cruiser socket and wiring is identical.
Old 04-18-21 | 03:58 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
The 4-pin is for turn signals, tail lights, and brake lights. The 7-pin adds trailer brake actuation

Go to your Lexus or Toyota dealer and buy the harnesses. The wiring is the same whether it's an LX or Land Cruiser.

God loves you whether or not you understand trailer brakes.

Old 04-20-21 | 06:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

How does the truck know when to activate the trailer sway control?

Picked up a new to me 2014, too, and I have a boat. This will be used for towing.
Old 04-20-21 | 09:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Reggie1
The OEM harness you posted is pretty pricey. I'm assuming that it is interchangeable amony other Lexus models like the GX that are equipped for towing. If so, and if you're into auto salvage yard foraging, you might be able to easily pull the harness from a wreck for less money.

And if are towing a horse or enclosed trailer with the LX, you will find that those little side mirrors on the Lexus are almost useless. Here is a link to a nice set of towing mirrors for the LX. I had to have mine shipped from Australia, but they are now sold in the USA. They were fairly easy to install, since they re-use all the stock mirror mounting hardware and wiring. The first one took about 3 hours, and the second one less than an hour. Expensive at about $600 for the set, but they really do wonders for rear and side vision when towing.

https://clearviewmirrorsusa.com/towi...s/lexus-lx570/
Thanks for the link...these are actually cheaper than OEM Toyota (same as Lexus) mirrors. Am I correct in assuming they work with oem mirror defroster heaters?

Last edited by hankinid; 04-20-21 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-03-23 | 08:47 AM
sondkr
2nd gear

Default 2021 lx 570

Does our model have the same requirements as I'm seeing on these others? Its wired but we need a harness to connect to the towed? And there should be a connector in the vehicle does anyone have a pic of it? Thnx!
Old 03-03-23 | 04:43 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sondkr
Does our model have the same requirements as I'm seeing on these others? Its wired but we need a harness to connect to the towed? And there should be a connector in the vehicle does anyone have a pic of it? Thnx!
If your truck was sold with a towing package, the harness which connects to the truck and trailer was supplied in the left side 3rd row seat. Pull down the zipper in the back and see what you find. if you can't find the harness, you can get one online via a dealer or other source of Lexus parts.

hth
The following users liked this post:
sondkr (03-04-23)
Old 03-06-23 | 04:12 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
If your truck was sold with a towing package, the harness which connects to the truck and trailer was supplied in the left side 3rd row seat. Pull down the zipper in the back and see what you find. if you can't find the harness, you can get one online via a dealer or other source of Lexus parts.

hth

Are you looking for these?Around $12
https://www.harborfreight.com/seven-...ter-64495.html

OR

https://www.harborfreight.com/seven-...ord-64494.html

Quick Reply: trailer hookup question