Please, help me understand...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 07:11 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Sorry I did mean Range Rover.
Your neighbor's experience is not atypical.
Old 05-17-16, 08:04 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Your neighbor's experience is not atypical.
Hmmm. Maybe I was dreaming when I read about the problems with Range Rovers.
Old 05-17-16, 08:29 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Range Rover, being an Indian brand (Tata Motor) for the last eight years, is probably nowadays designed in Indian, manufactured in China and put together in England. The quality seems going downhill---the only thing the car can reliably do
Old 05-17-16, 09:19 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Range Rover, being an Indian brand (Tata Motor) for the last eight years, is probably nowadays designed in Indian, manufactured in China and put together in England. The quality seems going downhill---the only thing the car can reliably do
Actually, the quality has significantly improved as Tata is head-on re: QC. Improved as it is, but not enough to comfortably own one just yet.
Old 05-17-16, 11:04 AM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
Actually, the quality has significantly improved as Tata is head-on re: QC. Improved as it is, but not enough to comfortably own one just yet.
Ford actually did bring up the quality of JLR products significantly and it appears that Tata is at least maintaining the gains. The only way they can improve quality to match German/Japanese/Ameican makes is to move production out of Britain. The Brits sure know how to finish the interior of a car, but they are also known for shoddy workmanship.
Old 05-17-16, 11:44 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

I would still accept a Defender without argument. U-tube has a quick video of a 200 series Land Cruiser following a Defender up a very muddy British "road"...the Defender (with iirc a diesel) simply idled through the snot, the Cruiser powered on through but definitely kept up the pace.

I've owned enough British cars and bikes to have experienced a general lack of electrical reliability...once you throw in computer controls repair costs tend to become unbelievable.
Old 05-17-16, 03:24 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by malba2366
Ford actually did bring up the quality of JLR products significantly and it appears that Tata is at least maintaining the gains. The only way they can improve quality to match German/Japanese/Ameican makes is to move production out of Britain. The Brits sure know how to finish the interior of a car, but they are also known for shoddy workmanship.
Very, very true. My former LR service advisor used to tell me that the Brits make those cars while drinking Guinness. It was sort of cute the first time, but then the cuteness began to wear out, and 2 years was all I could handle without completely losing my mind.
Old 05-17-16, 03:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Does the average RR consumer care their car is highly unreliable historically??? Its probably the third car in their lot, they use to run to the mall with. As long as thats not interrupted (even if it is they dont care) theyre good. Plus a RR turns more heads then a LX.

Reliability, gas mileage at this end of the spectrum is a welcome addition, but more likely then not an after thought for most buyers.

In regards to the OP question, Lexus has never been the pioneer in advancements. But their nameplate has been built on the foundation of reliability. As they say, you cannot have everything in the world, so pick your poison.
Old 05-19-16, 12:37 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2 ☺😊👍👍

Many other car manufacturers lie about their MPG (For example, Audi recently got caught) . If you actually tested them out, our LX570 actually has surprisingly good mpg for such a big, heavy, and sturdy vehicle.

It's like going into an RV dealership and complaining about mpg on the RV rigs.

I could not be more happy with my 5th new LX and I have owned Mercedes, Porshe, BMW and was glad to be back with Lexus. I do not consider myself to be a rich snob as I work very hard for my money.

We do see judgmental snobs like you come into the forum all the time to trash our brand. Best of luck on that!

Want good mileage get you a Prius!
Old 05-19-16, 08:16 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

If you go to different RV dealerships and see the different mpgs then you probably take notice of this parameter along with others.
Old 05-19-16, 09:15 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry I did mean Range Rover.
i never liked the styling of the RR but is grown on me. the SVR is a beast. Way over priced though and as many have said unreliable. Why cant lexus make a vehicle that drives and handles like a RR?
Old 05-19-16, 09:36 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i never liked the styling of the RR but is grown on me. the SVR is a beast. Way over priced though and as many have said unreliable. Why cant lexus make a vehicle that drives and handles like a RR?
...because if they did, it would not be an LX?

If you don't leave the pavement, it shouldn't make any difference. Watch any U-tube comparo of an LX or Land Cruiser v. a Range Rover and then decide.
Old 05-19-16, 10:05 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Why invest money into a market which the majority of the user base could care less about? I doubt they want to get burned 3 times with 2 flops in the RC and GS F.

Lexus knows the key to success lay in making vehicles that are ES like, slow, comfy, quiet, and offer Laz-Boy like seating with absolutely zero headache in the reliability department.

Thus far its made them a ton of money, so what motivation would they have to stray from success?
Old 05-19-16, 10:26 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Success? on LX line? Probably not. If you have been on a recent shopping trip of large SUV it would be pretty disheartening to any LX fan. For example, LX is typically marked down with $5K discount below MSRP while brands like Mercedes GL450/550 are commanding a $3k-5k premium over the MSRP. I know it sounds crazy, but the market, as a collective voice, has spoken in favor of other brands. As a Lexus loyalist I just do not want to see it going the way like an Oldsmobile which became an old folks car...
Old 05-19-16, 01:06 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Success? on LX line? Probably not. If you have been on a recent shopping trip of large SUV it would be pretty disheartening to any LX fan. For example, LX is typically marked down with $5K discount below MSRP while brands like Mercedes GL450/550 are commanding a $3k-5k premium over the MSRP. I know it sounds crazy, but the market, as a collective voice, has spoken in favor of other brands. As a Lexus loyalist I just do not want to see it going the way like an Oldsmobile which became an old folks car...
What???

GL450 price quotes here start with $5k off before any real negotiations. That would be the day when I see a Mercedes SUV command $3-5K over the sticker.

Quick Reply: Please, help me understand...