LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Please, help me understand...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-16 | 05:11 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
You may be speaking from your personal experience...it's definitely NOT mine.

In countries with buyers who have perhaps more money than God, I can understand someone having their people go find a vehicle after looking at a pic in a magazine or online. I have a good friend who exports half a dozen LX's per year to the Middle East. But the ME is a blip off the chart as, to my knowledge, Toyota ships Land Cruisers to that market and not LX's.

I doubt the majority of LX buyers don't heavily consider warranty, maintainability, and lack of "issues"...otherwise, they'd be driving POS German or British trucks.
+1. I totally agree. I would not spend $100K for the car that keeps always breaking down before it reaches 100K miles and spend more time seeing mechanics than driving it.. Unless I was Donald Trump or the Kardashian. I personally will look for reliability 1st before anything else.

Not everyone on other side of world is wealthy, they are just like us. Some are very filthy rich, middle class and poor. They spend the monies wisely.

Last edited by DocT; 05-22-16 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-21-16 | 05:27 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DocT
+1. I totally agree. I would not spend $100K for the car that keeps always breaking down before it reaches 100K miles and spends more time seeing mechanics then driving it.. Unless I was Donald Trump or the Kardashian. I personally will look for reliability 1st before anything else.

Not everyone on other side of world is wealthy, they are just like us. Some are very filthy rich, middle class and poor. They spend the monies wisely.
Trump may not even know how many and what kinds of cars he has...he doesn't need to, he has people to do that. Otoh, living in Manhattan he may not have as many as we think.

From the reliability standpoint, I don't see how adding more electronics enhances it...electronics can be challenging to troubleshoot, and bizarrely expensive to fix. But the major market for luxury SUV's is North America and it seems most North American's are convinced they need a 4K television on the dashboard and video's in the back to narco-out the kids on long drives.
Old 05-21-16 | 10:49 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

You may be speaking from your personal experience...it's definitely NOT mine.

In countries with buyers who have perhaps more money than God, I can understand someone having their people go find a vehicle after looking at a pic in a magazine or online. I have a good friend who exports half a dozen LX's per year to the Middle East. But the ME is a blip off the chart as, to my knowledge, Toyota ships Land Cruisers to that market and not LX's.

I doubt the majority of LX buyers don't heavily consider warranty, maintainability, and lack of "issues"...otherwise, they'd be driving POS German or British trucks.
Not completely off the mark but were not talking about LX470s or any used vehicle. ME, Russia etc get both the LC and LX new from their dealership. The people who can afford to buy one or say an armada of them are ones that want the look. Not saying they are not reliable etc etc, but when their other car is a 458 or a Phantom, their primary concern is a vehicle that looks good in their stable. Their slow sellers are NXs RXs, ESes (talking about ME here) as they just dont offer the ambiance the LX570 offers them.
Old 05-21-16 | 10:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Trump may not even know how many and what kinds of cars he has...he doesn't need to, he has people to do that. Otoh, living in Manhattan he may not have as many as we think.

From the reliability standpoint, I don't see how adding more electronics enhances it...electronics can be challenging to troubleshoot, and bizarrely expensive to fix. But the major market for luxury SUV's is North America and it seems most North American's are convinced they need a 4K television on the dashboard and video's in the back to narco-out the kids on long drives.
Thats never gonna change. Back in the day people wanted power steering, power brakes. Then fuel injection, then power windows, then navigations, now autonomous tech. Progress in the car industry is driven by consumers willingness to see a new feature in a car.
Old 05-22-16 | 11:38 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

I lived in Qatar for six years, LX570 is very common and sells very well there especially to locals. Also Land cruisers are everywhere in big numbers, think of Civic or Corollas in the US.

The reason why they are very successful:

- Very durable cars with deserved reputation
- Excellent in the loose desert dunes and sand, (better than most if not all others)
- Strong resale value and high demand on used by non Qataris.
- Bullet proof reliability, available spare parts and service other than dealer
- Great A/C System which is very essential in the desert heat.

Nissan Patrols sell also well but not as much as Land cruisers.
Old 05-22-16 | 12:48 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ragabnh
I lived in Qatar for six years, LX570 is very common and sells very well there especially to locals. Also Land cruisers are everywhere in big numbers, think of Civic or Corollas in the US.

- Excellent in the loose desert dunes and sand, (better than most if not all others)

Did you see a lot of POS Mercedes GL's or Range Rovers (German cars or Brits), if so does it depreciate a lot for the used ones?

Last edited by DocT; 05-22-16 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-22-16 | 01:50 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

There are Range Rovers and very few Mercedes GL's and yes they depreciate a lot and very difficult to sell used, From personal experience, the easiest car to sell used is the Toyota Prado and the FJ Cruisers.
Old 05-22-16 | 03:07 PM
DocT
Pole Position

There are Range Rovers and very few Mercedes GL's and yes they depreciate a lot and very difficult to sell used, From personal experience, the easiest car to sell used is the Toyota Prado and the FJ Cruisers.
Thank you for the info.

Ladies and Gent ,

Now you've got it. Pick your choice more power or reliability. And how fast can you really drive anyway?

Last edited by DocT; 05-22-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-22-16 | 03:43 PM
yakim
Pole Position

The man from Qatar hath spoken. The case is closed.

Now if you want a 2nd/3d/4th car in your stable, go ahead and get some German models, or better, yet some Italians. I heard their lifespan in the sands is next to nil
Old 05-22-16 | 06:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I agree with the first bold.

I disagree with the second bold. Just my opinion. The people in those third world countries who REALLY have money don't really have to flaunt it (especially the ones with OLD money and people in that area all know these people well). It's the newly minted ones with NEW money feel the need to SHOW it. The OLD money group maybe tired of the unreliable nature and will tend to go for the Lexus LX570. It is not like these people in remote areas can just call AAA on the fly.

BTW, there is a trend in some of the third world/developing countries in Asia going for OLD, REALLY OLD FULLY remodeled Toyota Land Cruisers SIMPLY because it is SO RARE!! In a place where literally all the TOP END SUV are common place, the people with lots of OLD money go for a FULLY RESTORED OLD CLASSIC Land Cruisers. So rare that it is not availableat any price, almost!!!

BTW, one of my cousins overseas has two fully restored REALLY OLD CLASSIC Land Cruisers. One of the two he had to look long and hard for one of it's doors that was missing in the restoration process. He finally found one in Japan and had it shipped. But it did not readily fit bc back in the day each door was shaped by hammering the door to FIT the Land Cruiser the door to be mounted. So each door was hammered to fit. So my cousin had to get the restoration body shop to beat the door to shape to fit. Then paint it. It was a long process.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The first bold is nailing it square on. The GLS could probably strand an owner on the side of road, but since they got an amazing lease deal, these vehicles move themselves. Even with the POS reliability, people keep on buying into them. Hence why MB moves soo freaking many of them each year in the NA market. The GLS caters to GX luxury buyers all the way upto LX570 and above buyers. Its got the biggest market area covered.

Second bold:
What?
Buyers in those countries could care less their vehicle is reliable, and care more about buying the biggest and most powerful vehicle possible. They sell more LX570s, GLS AMGs, RR SVRs Cayenne GTS, G AMG wagens etc etc due to the shear fact that they have an image to maintain, an image that is based on the emblem on the front, and power on tap. If a particular vehicle is having trouble, they get a new comparable one.

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-22-16 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-22-16 | 06:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, my old 2000 LX470 with 280k+ miles that I traded in for a band new LX570 back in 2013 was literally GONE from the Lexus dealer's lot the next morning when we went back to retrieve some CD's in the CD changer we forgot. It was already at Port side waiting to go overseas. Luckily the dealer had already retrieved the CD's for us. So all was ok.

Originally Posted by DocT
I know a person who buys older LX470's and 570's and sell them to Middle East countries, Dubai. He indicated that for the most part the 470's are still very popular over there. He also said that there are a lot of them that get sold and shipped to Dubai. The 2003 sold in one day on Autotrader for full asking price in 2010. The guy wired him funds and the vehicle sat in his garage for almost a month before the shipping company picked it up.
Old 05-22-16 | 08:00 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, my old 2000 LX470 with 280k+ miles that I traded in for a band new LX570 back in 2013 was literally GONE from the Lexus dealer's lot the next morning when we went back to retrieve some CD's in the CD changer we forgot. It was already at Port side waiting to go overseas. Luckily the dealer had already retrieved the CD's for us. So all was ok.

Did you get more than KBB price?
Old 05-23-16 | 01:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Over 100 posts for LX mileage and technology

Last edited by ggebhardt; 05-23-16 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-23-16 | 09:18 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Over 100 posts for LX mileage and technology
Revitalizing the LX forum one post at a time LOL
Old 05-23-16 | 09:35 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Revitalizing the LX forum one post at a time LOL
Maybe the 200 series section...the 100 series part of the forum looks like it's beginning to die.

Quick Reply: Please, help me understand...