LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Please, help me understand...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 09:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Maybe the 200 series section...the 100 series part of the forum looks like it's beginning to die.
100 series is more active on ih8mud. But hey one love regardless of forum right
Old 05-23-16, 10:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, toward the lower end of the spectrum due to some rear bumper damage that occurred accidentally on the day before the trad in. ......long story. We were on a tight schedule so we traded in as is. Probably can get a few grand higher, but it meant we had to deal with insurance and body shop and etc.

That LX470 was beyond reliable. Wife wanted a new batmobil so we got a new LX570.

Originally Posted by DocT
Did you get more than KBB price?
Old 05-24-16, 04:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I don't have any problems seeing the BSM on the outside mirrors on my Lexus vehicles even in bright sunlight.

Last week I did have a Loaded Volvo 4 door sedan for a rental car for a whole week. I noticed the BSM indicator was INSIDE the vehicle on the inside of door. This is fine. It was just not what I was expecting and looked for.

I did notice that on the Volvo the LDW feature was NOT AS PRECISE as on the Lexus. I will have to cross the lines on the road before it will warn me.

However, the auto stop feature was BETTER vs. the Lexus. There are red dash lights blinking snd BEEPING if the car thinks you are not going to brake and it will brake for you.

Originally Posted by T4Fun
what you guys dont get is that torque is higher at same rpm with a turbo than non turbo engine. There is no turbo lags on the new cars. This is true for bmw and the gtr. Go check out the Range rover if you have doubts. Blows away the LX, pun intended. But reliability is the ONLY thing Lexus has got going right now.

Toyota has no choice but to eventually convert all their engines to hybrid or turbo. You already see them starting to do it and it was hinted when the designer of the GSF said that engine will be the last naturally aspirated V8.

And the light for BSM should not be outside, because its only visible when its dark and not on sunny days. I dont feel you should have to turn your head to make a lane change. Takes your eyes off the road.
Old 05-24-16, 05:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I don't have any problems seeing the BSM on the outside mirrors on my Lexus vehicles even in bright sunlight.

Last week I did have a Loaded Volvo 4 door sedan for a rental car for a whole week. I noticed the BSM indicator was INSIDE the vehicle on the inside of door. This is fine. It was just not what I was expecting and looked for.

I did notice that on the Volvo the LDW feature was NOT AS PRECISE as on the Lexus. I will have to cross the lines on the road before it will warn me.

However, the auto stop feature was BETTER vs. the Lexus. There are red dash lights blinking snd BEEPING if the car thinks you are not going to brake and it will brake for you.
To be fair I do actually like having the BSM indicators on the inside. The indicators on the outside are difficult to read when the weather is inclement. An inside light is a bit more convenient
Old 05-24-16, 09:26 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

not a surprise as lexus is again behind in technology.
our suburu with eyesight blows away everything on the road and it wont even let u hit the gas when it detects something in front. lane departure is also excellent
Old 05-25-16, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
I have been lurking in the forum for a long time and a Lexus owner (LS models) for over 15 years. Finally, I took the plunge into the LX club. What took me so long? because LX/GX atrocious gas mileage in its class. Now with gas being cheapest in years I finally pulled the trigger. But virtually every monster SUV in sight---Suburban, Yukon, Tahoe, Navigator, Escalade....----you name it, have much better gas mileage, ie highway of more than 22mpg. That's 30% better than LX570! Now I am not going to complain about the cost of gas. But I want to understand if there is a tradeoff between really poor gas mileage and reliability? If there is, what is the story behind it? If there is not, why does Lexus take us so much for granted?
Which year LX model did you get?

Your comments about the MPG is not just limited to the LX, almost all large Toyota body on frame SUVs and trucks are not where the competition is when it comes to MPG. Toyota does not use cylinder deactivation, also their body on frame trucks are from the 05-08 generation of vehicles.
Old 05-25-16, 08:02 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Which year LX model did you get?

Your comments about the MPG is not just limited to the LX, almost all large Toyota body on frame SUVs and trucks are not where the competition is when it comes to MPG. Toyota does not use cylinder deactivation, also their body on frame trucks are from the 05-08 generation of vehicles.
The mileage issue is being beaten to death...yeah, 200 series Toyotas don't get the mileage of the big-3's trucks. But the big-3 don't come close to Toyota's reliability. You can take your choice, but you can't choose both reliability and mileage.
Old 05-25-16, 12:15 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The mileage issue is being beaten to death...yeah, 200 series Toyotas don't get the mileage of the big-3's trucks. But the big-3 don't come close to Toyota's reliability. You can take your choice, but you can't choose both reliability and mileage.
Needing to switch to Costco gas for my guzzler, as it is about 60 cents a gallon cheaper and still top tier gas.
Old 05-25-16, 12:16 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would rather see and welcome cylinder deactivation and Direct Injection rather than a nasty, nasty small displacement turbo engine in this heavy truck. See the new Expedition - 3.5L TT - highly stressed engine :thumbsdown:
Old 05-25-16, 04:45 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

X2. I'll take reliability any day.

Old 05-25-16, 04:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Costco gas, here I go.

😃😃😃😃😃

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Needing to switch to Costco gas for my guzzler, as it is about 60 cents a gallon cheaper and still top tier gas.
Old 05-25-16, 04:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

On you Suburu, did you have issues when trying to pass and over take another car in multi lane busy traffic?

The system in Lexus seems to get confused sometimes and brake when I really wanted to gun the engine and get going QUICK, but brakes were applied instead!! This was not an issue on the rental Volvo I had for a whole week recently.

Originally Posted by T4Fun
not a surprise as lexus is again behind in technology.
our suburu with eyesight blows away everything on the road and it wont even let u hit the gas when it detects something in front. lane departure is also excellent
Old 05-25-16, 05:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Which car(s) do you actually own that you are referring to?

BTW, on my rental Volvo sedan that I had for a whole week recently the inside red BSM light indicators were too bright at night for me for what I was used to. I guess I COULD get use to it over time.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
To be fair I do actually like having the BSM indicators on the inside. The indicators on the outside are difficult to read when the weather is inclement. An inside light is a bit more convenient
Old 05-25-16, 05:40 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want MPG and reliability, Honda is the best choice .
Old 05-25-16, 06:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
I would rather see and welcome cylinder deactivation and Direct Injection rather than a nasty, nasty small displacement turbo engine in this heavy truck. See the new Expedition - 3.5L TT - highly stressed engine :thumbsdown:
~210 cubic inches in a fully loaded truck that can weigh up to 3-1/2 tons.

Brilliant.

X2. I'll take reliability any day.
When I and wife are 6 hours up a USFS road at an 8000 foot trailhead, the last thing we need is a "reliability" issue.

Costco gas, here I go.

����������
I've been using 91 octane no-ethanol for the last 3 years in the LX and since I bought the Cruiser last August. Long haul average gives us about another 1-2 mpg, which I'd expect since you end up with 10% more gas per gallon.

EPA is seeking comments on increasing ethanol percentage past 15%...that would slowly fark-up anything rubber that's part of the fuel system. Without a flex-fuel truck, you may have problems.

Originally Posted by DocT
If you want MPG and reliability, Honda is the best choice .
I agree. I bought the first '86 Prelude on the SF peninsula. It taught 2 boys how to drive with a manual transmission and was still running at 225K. I like the Ridgeline but still definitely prefer body-on-frame, full-time fwd, locking trans case, not to mention room for stuff.

Quick Reply: Please, help me understand...