LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2009 LX570 starts then dies, many codes showing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 02:25 PM
thebigtman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 LX570 starts then dies, many codes showing

I'm a fairly handy car guy but I'm not sure what to do on this one. Here's the specifics.

We've owned the 2009 LX570 (approx 101k miles) for about a month now. The vehicle has run fine, no issues. This morning it started very briefly (.25sec) then quit. Same thing over and over. I charged the battery, had it load tested and it all checks out fine. I cleared codes and rechecked it. No standard OBDII codes show, only the enhanced codes. Dash shows a CEL. We drove the vehicle yesterday a few times and all was fine...normal acceleration, started, etc. Then, this morning, it went down. I also pulled the MAF, cleaned it, reinstalled. Pulled the intake tube, cleaned the throttle body butterfly and corresponding area around the butterfly. It was slightly dirty but looked normal.

Here's what I have for codes:

P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0011 Intake camshaft position timing - over - advanced (Bank 1)
P0012 Intake camshaft position timing - over - retarded (Bank 1)
P0014 Exhaust camshaft position timing - over - advanced (Bank 1)
P0015 Exhaust camshaft position timing - over - retarded (Bank 1)
P0016 Camshaft position - camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A
P0017 Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 Sensor B
P0018 Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation - Bank 2 Sensor A
P0019 Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation - Bank 2 Sensor B
P0021 Intake camshaft position timing - over - advanced (Bank 2)
P0022 Intake camshaft position timing - over - retarded (Bank 2)
P0024 Exhaust camshaft position timing - over - advanced (Bank 2)
P0025 Exhaust camshaft position timing - over - retarded (Bank 2)
P0032 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0052 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance

I am uploading a short video to Photobucket, which perhaps illustrates what's happening better than I can describe. I will post it up once it clears on Photobucket. Cranking sounds normal and I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump activating as well. I know that low voltage on a CANBUS system can make weird things happen. However, since my battery checks out, I'm not sure on this one. Any ideas?
The following users liked this post:
LRAWDOGGEN (10-12-22)
Old 06-02-16, 04:08 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. A lot of codes....and a lot of them indicate something is out of place. Timing chain/belt?
Old 06-02-16, 04:25 PM
thebigtman
Driver School Candidate

Default Started!

I read something about the immobilizer and the keys getting out of sync. The process is to hold up the key to the start button for 20 seconds to get it to reset. Whatever I did with that process worked. It started right up and idled fine just like it always had. No codes.

We had a duplicate fob and key made up two weeks ago. Both sat side by side in the key bowl and sometimes I would end up with both in my pocket at once. I will report back if the "start, stumble and die" symptoms return.

In the meantime, maybe that will help out another poor soul. I spent all day tracking down potential wiring issues.
apwp93 (01-02-17)
Old 06-02-16, 04:27 PM
MattBianco
Driver

^ Well done.
Old 06-03-16, 03:07 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigtman
I read something about the immobilizer and the keys getting out of sync. The process is to hold up the key to the start button for 20 seconds to get it to reset. Whatever I did with that process worked. It started right up and idled fine just like it always had. No codes.

We had a duplicate fob and key made up two weeks ago. Both sat side by side in the key bowl and sometimes I would end up with both in my pocket at once. I will report back if the "start, stumble and die" symptoms return.

In the meantime, maybe that will help out another poor soul. I spent all day tracking down potential wiring issues.
Could you elaborate a little? You hold the key up to the start button with the button held down, or just after you have started/tried to start the vehicle?
Old 06-06-16, 05:34 AM
thebigtman
Driver School Candidate

Chocolate, I went back to search for the thread where I found the procedure but unfortunately, I can't locate it. Here's what I remember, I depressed the start button without pressing the brake. I then held the key to the start button for about 20-25 seconds with the back of the fob to the start button. After 20-25 seconds, I then pressed the brake depressed the button and she started right up, everything normal. I seem to recall I found this on a Lexus IS specific forum. If I run across it, I'll post it up.
Old 06-06-16, 03:27 PM
MattBianco
Driver

I tried to find it......it looks like all you have to do is hold the battery side of the FOB against the start/stop button for a while.

Sources: Page 556: http://www.adusa.us/data/documents/1...-P.535-595.pdf

and

Page 24: http://www.adusa.us/attachments/File...13-for_Web.pdf
apwp93 (01-02-17)
Old 06-07-16, 06:52 AM
thebigtman
Driver School Candidate

Matt - good job, thanks for posting that up.
Old 06-07-16, 10:30 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Good information!
Old 01-02-17, 02:05 PM
apwp93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0024 - Immobilizer reset worked for me

Originally Posted by thebigtman

I have a 2007 GS350. VSC and CEL came on a couple of days ago... when I had the codes pulled, only one was showing: P0024. Seems like a pretty rare code... not many threads showed up as I searched it on the forum. This thread was the first one.

I recall earlier in the week I got a message on the dash saying the FOB was not found, or something to that effect - the same one I would get if I had two FOBs in the car at the same time. Your solution was a no-brainer to try, and it worked! The procedure worked for me when I turned the power on (but not the ignition/engine), and held the key FOB to the start button as described. Started the car up, no codes, no lights on the dash, and everything working as it should (ABS, VSC - it was wet... and easy to test safely, so, why not?!).

Thanks for posting the original info. Saved me a trip to the dealer and a potential costly part change.