LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX console trim - leather or vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 03:28 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the price tag for the LX weighs heavily on the off road features plus luxury. Is the current LS fully leathered? Sometimes, for a utility/luxury vehicle, vinyl or the like may be the better material to use in terms of durability. I am only speculating here. My BMW 750 has much more leather than LX and 3 years older too. As for leather care, I have used Lexol cleaner and conditioner for over 10+ years.
Old 12-13-16, 09:26 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kg19989
Just a follow up.... I chose to overlook the few spots with vinyl. It is a shame that a vehicle which stickers in the 80s - 90s isn't 100% but I guess it is just a sign of the times. Anyone have any good advice on leather conditioner? I used leather in a bottle which is what I always used on my LS however this left my seats shiny as hell. Looked horrible.
Thanks!
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It comes with pre-moistened towelettes.
Old 12-13-16, 11:43 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It comes with pre-moistened towelettes.
Leathernique gets very good feedback on mud.

I use Steubben (sp?) glycerine soap cleaner and their conditioner. Got the recommendation from my wife and 2 very high-end saddle makers.

Autogeek.com has some good info...that said, I'd trust someone who works with the material every day v. someone selling the stuff.
Old 12-16-16, 08:33 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I mostly use the same products on my leather car interior surfaces that I use on the saddles and bridles for my horses. Just search for leather care products and there are tens of thousands of opinions out there about what products are the best, and almost all of it is anecdotal. In my opinion, based on several decades of caring for both horse tack and for car interiors almost leather care products work reasonably well as long as the leather is regularly cleaned and maintained. The real test is a really dried out leather surface, and there I'm partial to Leatherique products.

Keep in mind that leather is colored or dyed basically in two ways. One is by immersion, where the treatment and pigment goes completely through the thickness of the Leather. That's pretty expensive, and very rare in new mass produced automobiles. Essentially all car leathers are surface dyed, a process similar to putting paint on wood. You can put oil on surface dyed leather seats until it drips off and puddles on the carpet, but it will not penetrate through the leather. Unless it penetrates through cracks and moves laterally, or along stitch lines, and that can cause dark stains in light colored seats. And, since some Lexus leather is perforated, any liquid you use to excess will soak into the padding beneath the leather, which is not a good thing
Old 12-16-16, 09:30 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I mostly use the same products on my leather car interior surfaces that I use on the saddles and bridles for my horses. Just search for leather care products and there are tens of thousands of opinions out there about what products are the best, and almost all of it is anecdotal. In my opinion, based on several decades of caring for both horse tack and for car interiors almost leather care products work reasonably well as long as the leather is regularly cleaned and maintained. The real test is a really dried out leather surface, and there I'm partial to Leatherique products.

Keep in mind that leather is colored or dyed basically in two ways. One is by immersion, where the treatment and pigment goes completely through the thickness of the Leather. That's pretty expensive, and very rare in new mass produced automobiles. Essentially all car leathers are surface dyed, a process similar to putting paint on wood. You can put oil on surface dyed leather seats until it drips off and puddles on the carpet, but it will not penetrate through the leather. Unless it penetrates through cracks and moves laterally, or along stitch lines, and that can cause dark stains in light colored seats. And, since some Lexus leather is perforated, any liquid you use to excess will soak into the padding beneath the leather, which is not a good thing
+1. I would definitively like to have your advice. But you're partial to Leatherique, what about the other partial?
Old 12-17-16, 03:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Best description of today's leather I have read in a while.

Have used Meguires natural shine on both vinyl and leather in all my Lexi for years.
Old 12-17-16, 12:09 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DocT
+1. I would definitively like to have your advice. But you're partial to Leatherique, what about the other partial?
Two common general meanings of the word "partial"...

par·tial
ˈpärSHəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    existing only in part; incomplete.
    "a question to which we have only partial answers"synonyms:incomplete, limited, qualified, imperfect, fragmentary, unfinished
    "a partial recovery"
  2. 2.
    favoring one side in a dispute above the other; biased.
    "the paper gave a distorted and very partial view of the situation"synonyms:biased, prejudiced, partisan, one-sided, slanted, skewed, colored, unbalanced
    "a very partial view of the situation"

• You picked the first definition, Reggie1 used the second definition.

Old 12-17-16, 03:14 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Two common general meanings of the word "partial"...

par·tial
ˈpärSHəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    existing only in part; incomplete.
    "a question to which we have only partial answers"synonyms:incomplete, limited, qualified, imperfect, fragmentary, unfinished
    "a partial recovery"
  2. 2.
    favoring one side in a dispute above the other; biased.
    "the paper gave a distorted and very partial view of the situation"synonyms:biased, prejudiced, partisan, one-sided, slanted, skewed, colored, unbalanced
    "a very partial view of the situation"

• You picked the first definition, Reggie1 used the second definition.
There is a third. A "partial" is dental jargon for a "removable partial denture." It usually replaces missing back teeth, and attaches in some way, usually with clips, to the remaining front teeth. A partial is the stage of replacement before losing all remaining teeth, when you go to a complete or full denture.
Old 12-17-16, 10:41 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So what about semi-aniline and full aniline leather? I know most car leathers are pigmented, but Lexus said that the LX has semi-aniline leather. It probably means pigmented but in a way that it is not fully pigmented or full aniline. I have a full aniline chesterfield sofa from England; it's really nice but a really pain in the rear to take care of. No food, no dirty clothes, no jeans, no dirty pants, no drinks except water at the sofa.And it requires periodic conditioning. Beauty is expensive and high maintenance.
Old 12-17-16, 11:28 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Talking

There is a third. A "partial" is dental jargon for a "removable partial denture." It usually replaces missing back teeth, and attaches in some way, usually with clips, to the remaining front teeth. A partial is the stage of replacement before losing all remaining teeth, when you go to a complete or full denture.
I left that out as not germane. Same with a "partial" being part of a musical note, like a harmonic.