LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Headlight Aim

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 06:58 AM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Aim

I just bought a 2015 LX 570. I like (nearly) everything about it; it drives like a dream.
I feel that the headlights are aimed a bit too low. I know that this has been addressed before, but I'd like to look into an easier way to adjust the lights.
Some background:
When faced with the same problem in my 2007 RX-400, I found the height sensor inboard of the right rear wheel. It is essentially a small turnbuckle (like a tie rod end) between the suspension and a potentiometer on the underside of the body. This is how the car senses its position on the road & raises or lowers the headlights as needed. I loosened the lock nuts, turned the adjuster a bit, & the headlights went up. I didn't have to do anything to the headlight housings under the hood.
On my old (2000) GS-300, same thing. But the sensor was inboard of the left front wheel.
Has anyone found the little adjustable link + potentiometer under the 2015 LX 570? It has to be there somewhere, in order to aim the headlights up or down in response to varying passenger loads. This might make headlight adjustment super easy from a DIY perspective.
Old 12-24-16, 11:06 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have adjusted them, not with the load-leveling feature, but I used a screwdriver and the adjusters along with some painter's tape on the wall to keep them level. Easy to do and reversible.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/adj...lights.632193/

Last edited by Chocolate; 12-24-16 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-24-16, 12:20 PM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Thank you, Chocolate!
In your second & fourth photos I see a hex head; is this what I need to turn? If so, how does a screwdriver work the mechanism from above (through the hole in the plastic fascia)?
Bob
Old 12-24-16, 03:48 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

That's right.

You will see a guide for the screwdriver shaft. The philips screwdriver will act like a gear and rotate the aim screw.

Last edited by Chocolate; 12-24-16 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 04:13 PM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Excellent!
Thanks, Chocolate!
Bob
Old 12-25-16, 11:58 AM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Chocolate & anyone else with an LX 570:
I removed the plastic engine compartment fascia; saw the hole for the screwdriver; looked in from behind, & found a black plastic cap installed over the metal gear, preventing the screwdriver from reaching or engaging the gear. That hex that shows in your photos is covered as well.
I can't pull the cover off - must be there to make the headlight aim adjustment "tamper-proof".
I can bring it in to the dealer, but I'd very much prefer to adjust the aim myself.
Mine's a 2015 LX. Any ideas as to how to (temporarily) remove that plastic cap?
Bob
Old 12-25-16, 01:34 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Can you provide pictures? The 2013 model is like the ones in the thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/adj...lights.632193/

Last edited by Chocolate; 12-25-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 03:53 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
You will see a guide for the screwdriver shaft. The philips screwdriver will act like a gear and rotate the aim screw.
<br /><br />Just a side comment. Asian cars like Toyota and Lexus, particularly if assembled in Japan, typically have Japanese Industrial Standard screws (JIS screws) rather than Phillips screws. While the JIS screws and screwdrivers closely resemble Phillips screws and Phillips screwdrivers, the two are different. Using a Phillips screwdriver on a JIS screw may cause stripping or other damage. Phillips screws are designed for the screwdriver to cam out before enough torque can be exerted to shear off the screw. but JIS screws are not. If anyone wants to learn more, here is a link to get you started. If you have had problems removing screws on your Lexus with your Phillips screwdrivers, Amazon has JIS screwdriver sets.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When...rial-Standard/

Last edited by Reggie1; 12-25-16 at 03:57 PM. Reason: to correct punctuation
The following 3 users liked this post by Reggie1:
Bimmer32 (12-26-16), fosterelli (11-25-17), hankinid (12-25-16)
Old 12-25-16, 05:05 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Vessel Tools makes what I'd call the gold standard of JIS screwdrivers. Check http://www.toolpan.com/Vessel-Tools-...it_p_3793.html or similar. JIS screws are often marked with a single dot on the head.

Yeah, they're not cheap. Nor are buggered screws if you don't use the correct tools. Remember that things break when parts and hardware store are closed.

Reggie1, thanks for helping my brain find the JIS screwdriver file.

Steve
Old 12-26-16, 05:38 PM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Default some photos - 2015 LX 570

Chocolate:
Here are some photos of the passenger-side adjuster on my car. The driver side has the exact same black plastic cover blocking screwdriver entry into the adjuster. I need to remove the plastic caps in order to do the vertical aim adjustment.
Have you or anyone else out there have any experience with this?
Please advise.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Aim-img_0634.jpg   Headlight Aim-img_0638.jpg   Headlight Aim-img_0639.jpg  
Old 12-27-16, 07:37 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

As there may be no other way without removing the entire headlight assembly (depending on where the access to the plastic cover piece is mounted - looks that way) I would probably dremel the five tiny plastic supports to separate them (knowing that there are no electronics or anything around the aim screw), fold up the plastic piece, and use the 8mm socket directly on the back of the aim screw.
Old 12-27-16, 10:18 PM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Default plastic cover over aim adjuster

Chocolate:
Your suggestion may be the only option. I'd love to be able to pry the plastic caps off; I could even replace them when I'm done.
I'll look again tomorrow.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-02-17, 05:05 PM
hazilim
Driver School Candidate

Default Did it

I pried the black plastic caps off. Turned the adjusters (8mm hex head), & the high beams moved horizontally!
Went to the dealer: "No adjustment can be done, as the lights are self-leveling". I'm not making this up.
Did a quick Google search for "LX 570 headlights" & found a few used ones on eBay. They had some broken tabs (they were in accidents), but the photos were very clear. On the rear views, the rest of the adjustment screws are visible.
Look at the white plastic structure in the photo taken from one of the ads. It has 2 8mm hex sockets. I tried them & the outboard one controls the vertical aim (high beam & low beam).
Adjustment took about 1 minute on the passenger side (easy clearance behind the socket for an 8mm hex wrench).
Way harder on the driver side because the battery is pretty close to the adjustment socket; still took 5 minutes to adjust.
High beam & low beams both went up to where I wanted them. I'll drive the car tonight & see how satisfied I am with the aim. I can re-adjust them if necessary.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Aim-lx570-headlight.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Chocolate (01-06-17)
Old 11-25-17, 01:37 AM
premier865
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" It has 2 8mm hex sockets. I tried them & the outboard one controls the vertical aim (high beam & low beam).
Adjustment took about 1 minute on the passenger side (easy clearance behind the socket for an 8mm hex wrench).
Way harder on the driver side because the battery is pretty close to the adjustment socket; still took 5 minutes .."

thanks for your post. i am trying to do the same thing here. i read you post abot the part"i tried them &the outboard"
what is the outboard ? and where is it locate?. or did you just adjust the 2 8mm hex only? thanks so much
Old 11-25-17, 05:07 AM
fosterelli
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Typically outboard would be furthest from the center of the vehicle, and inboard would be closest to the center of the vehicle. In this case, it'd be easy with trial and error, park your vehicle in front of a wall or garage door. Start with passenger side because it is easier access. Turn one while watching the light on the wall...as soon as it moves you'll know which is which.