LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Steering Column Leak - Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 08:59 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Column Leak - Rack and Pinion

I posted this on a different forum this last weekend and thought I would bring it here too. Here is the original link:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ste...n-leak.977486/

So, after having the LX serviced on Friday, the local dealer told me that I have 2 leaks. One is the power steering and that is looking like something that I will have to pay for and the other is a leak in the rack and pinion, which I didn't even think could happen. So, I do have an extended warranty on the truck, which only has 83K miles even though it is 7 years old. I was never expecting to have issues with the steering column, but there you go.

Has anyone had similar issues with their LX?
Attached Thumbnails Steering Column Leak - Rack and Pinion-image0.jpg   Steering Column Leak - Rack and Pinion-image1.jpg  

Last edited by JDJackson; 03-06-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 04:15 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

What good is the extended warranty if it does not cover these items?
Old 03-07-17, 06:11 AM
JDJackson
Driver

I agree. I have just not gotten confirmation that it is covered or if it is covered, by how much. Total coverage is what I am shooting for.
Old 03-07-17, 09:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by JDJackson
I agree. I have just not gotten confirmation that it is covered or if it is covered, by how much. Total coverage is what I am shooting for.
Unless they can prove you have physically damaged these parts they better be saying it is covered.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-07-17, 09:19 AM
JDJackson
Driver

I called just called my local Lexus dealership to see if I could get a status update. The tech writer that started this on Friday is out until tomorrow, so nothing is happening until he gets back tomorrow. I'm not overly thrilled, but then again I am not stranded either. Patience.... I just need more patience.
Old 03-07-17, 12:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

I called just called my local Lexus dealership to see if I could get a status update. The tech writer that started this on Friday is out until tomorrow, so nothing is happening until he gets back tomorrow. I'm not overly thrilled, but then again I am not stranded either. Patience.... I just need more patience.
Stuff you don't control yourself always need tons of patience. I'm assuming the truck is at the only Lexus dealer in the area...
Old 03-07-17, 01:03 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Area... state... yeah.
Old 03-07-17, 04:11 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The post on mud made it sound like a 3rd party warranty. Was it or was it the Lexus one.

How much did it cost?
Old 03-07-17, 07:43 PM
JDJackson
Driver

3rd party, since I am the second owner. If the steering column is covered, it will have paid for itself. I don't have the exact amount for the warranty handy... I'll have to look it up.
Old 03-08-17, 07:29 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Just as an updated, I heard back from my local dealer this morning and they have submitted the claim to the 3rd party warranty company. Given the extensive repair being requested, the company is sending out an inspector to verify the claim prior to authorization. The dealer says that they will not get out to inspect prior to the end of day tomorrow, so I will not know anything further until early Friday. I have not seen the break out of repairs they are authorizing, nor have I seen a total for the repair so I really have no idea how much this might end up costing... someone.

Stay tuned.

Jonathan
Old 03-10-17, 05:56 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Ok, here is an update. The extended warranty is going to cover everything. All I am out is my deductible, which is $100. No problem. Although he has not finalized the paperwork, it is sounding like this repair would have cost me over $6000 given his last email to me. OUCH! I am so very glad the warranty is covering this! Definitely worth the money up front when I purchased the truck 2years ago!
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (03-11-17)
Old 03-10-17, 09:08 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Ok, here is an update. The extended warranty is going to cover everything. All I am out is my deductible, which is $100. No problem. Although he has not finalized the paperwork, it is sounding like this repair would have cost me over $6000 given his last email to me. OUCH! I am so very glad the warranty is covering this! Definitely worth the money up front when I purchased the truck 2years ago!
Great to see you're completely covered. I don't think $100 would cover an oil change with that particular dealer.
Old 03-10-17, 09:09 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by hankinid
Great to see you're completely covered. I don't think $100 would cover an oil change with that particular dealer.
BAHAHAHAHAHA! Yep, I believe that you are correct!
Old 03-10-17, 09:12 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

BAHAHAHAHAHA! Yep, I believe that you are correct!
I forgot to mention that's if you supply the oil. Have a great weekend. I'm doing my normal spring fluid change for the '01 LX...engine, trans, trans case, and diff's. Not to mention fuel, oil, air, and cabin filters. I definitely love NAPA's half-off filter sales.
The following users liked this post:
JDJackson (03-10-17)
Old 03-20-17, 10:08 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Update to this thread:
So the dealer replaced the rack and pinion assembly, which was where the original leaks were taking place. These leaks were at the boots on both sides, with the driver's side being worse. I got the truck for 1 day and noticed leaking when I got home from work. I immediately drove the truck back to the dealer who then placed it up on the lift and we started looking for leaking power steering fluid.

After a day at the dealership, the rack and pinion assembly is once again being replaced, as the hard fittings where the power steering lines attach are leaking. They tried initially replacing the crush washers but found that this did not fix the issue and therefore, the entire assembly would be replaced... again. I expect to see the truck again on Wednesday of this week.

My warranty is a 4 year / 48000-mile warranty... I am now thinking that I will hold on to the truck until the end of the warranty period to get the most of it but then will probably sell/trade-in the truck. This will be especially true if we have another major assembly failure even if it is covered by the warranty. We are losing confidence in this truck.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Leak - Rack and Pinion