LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX 570 Door Actuators

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 10:50 AM
Turcoupe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX 570 Door Actuators

I bought a 2014 LX 570 with 36,300 miles on it recently.
Today the driver side rear door lock began intermittently not unlocking with the key fob or from the driver side door switch.
Only way to open it was to manually unlock it.
Upon bringing it to the dealership, a tech confirmed the door actuator needs to be replaced and ordered one (LX is still under manufacturer warranty).
At 30,000 miles, the original owner brought it to the dealership for the same issue (for front driver and passenger doors) and the dealer replaced both door actuators at the same time.
After speaking with the tech offline, he stated the Lexus engineers have determined (internally, no recall) that cleaning agents (armor all, etc) cause the door actuators to fail.
They have been and are currently replacing them with door actuators which incorporate a scrubber to prevent this issue.
Has anyone else experienced an issue with their door actuators?
Old 10-18-17, 10:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Seems to me UNUSUAL to have failure so early!!!

Originally Posted by Turcoupe
I bought a 2014 LX 570 with 36,300 miles on it recently.
Today the driver side rear door lock began intermittently not unlocking with the key fob or from the driver side door switch.
Only way to open it was to manually unlock it.
Upon bringing it to the dealership, a tech confirmed the door actuator needs to be replaced and ordered one (LX is still under manufacturer warranty).
At 30,000 miles, the original owner brought it to the dealership for the same issue (for front driver and passenger doors) and the dealer replaced both door actuators at the same time.
After speaking with the tech offline, he stated the Lexus engineers have determined (internally, no recall) that cleaning agents (armor all, etc) cause the door actuators to fail.
They have been and are currently replacing them with door actuators which incorporate a scrubber to prevent this issue.
Has anyone else experienced an issue with their door actuators?
Old 10-19-17, 04:09 AM
Turcoupe
Driver School Candidate

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't going to purchase an extended warranty, but Lexus charges $800 to replace one door actuator.
Old 10-19-17, 08:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So, is the dealership gonna fix it under warranty free of charge?

If not, I wonder how much is just the part? It will be LUCKY IF THE ACTUATOR is the SAME ones used in Camary, for example which is VERY COMMON therefore CAN'T be THAT EXPENSIVE, right?

The potential issue is AFTER the door panels are taken off in order to change out that part. Will the door panels fit back in place nice and tight OR will it squeak and rattle?

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't going to purchase an extended warranty, but Lexus charges $800 to replace one door actuator.
Old 10-19-17, 08:45 AM
Airbusdriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you brought this up. I just purchased a 2014 a month ago. Mine was just out of warranty and had it replaced at a Toyota dealership for about $500. Part was about $350. Door seems all good now.
Old 10-19-17, 12:18 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I would suspect the major part of the cost is not the part but the labor to get inside the door panel. If you have done this, it is a pain for sure.
Old 10-19-17, 12:29 PM
Airbusdriv
Driver School Candidate

It’s part number 69030-42230. I think you can get it for around $200 off ebay.
Old 10-19-17, 05:56 PM
Turcoupe
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the dealership ordered one under warranty and is installing it tomorrow (no charge).

And yes, I will accept their complimentary car wash and drink 3 cups of their coffee while I wait.

I did some more digging and the previous owner apparently had an issue with EVERY other door (including rear hatch) and the dealership replaced them ALL under warranty.

This is will be the last original door actuator on the vehicle.

The Lexus OEM part is $590, plus another $200 for labor.
Old 10-20-17, 03:13 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

That is just strange to have all the door actuators fail one after another!!!???

Was there any flood or water damage? Or did the prior owner take it out to some deep River crossing?

Yes, the dealership ordered one under warranty and is installing it tomorrow (no charge).

And yes, I will accept their complimentary car wash and drink 3 cups of their coffee while I wait.

I did some more digging and the previous owner apparently had an issue with EVERY other door (including rear hatch) and the dealership replaced them ALL under warranty.

This is will be the last original door actuator on the vehicle.

The Lexus OEM part is $590, plus another $200 for labor.
Old 10-20-17, 03:58 AM
Turcoupe
Driver School Candidate

I will never know, but it was a 3 yr lease return with normal mileage (35k) and all maintenance was performed at the dealer. Overall, very clean condition.
The tech admitted that the Lexus engineers know about the issue with these actuators and are quietly replacing them with improved versions which supposedly keep the contacts clean of any foreign elements (carbon scrubbers).
It just turns me off from the brand considering they aren't recalling them, considering the safety issue of people not being able to secure their car.
Old 10-20-17, 01:36 PM
Airbusdriv
Driver School Candidate

I heard the same thing about the replacements being better than the originals. Let’s hope so for that price.