LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2018 LX - 2 Row Option!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 01:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Heard about the 2-row variant and got pretty excited about it, as I am a LX fan. After visiting the Lexus site to check out a build for the new 2-row model, I was chagrined to see this. TERRIBLE. By appearances, what they are doing ostensibly is offering a 2-row option to shut up those who don't want 3, but forcing the prospective LX buyer into the 3-row model anyway if you want the good stuff/options. Nothing says SUCK better than this. I'm hoping this is an early-run hiccup, and not a defining moment that will remain for the 2-row.

If it is, they have already killed the 2-row version. At least from the prospect of my pocketbook. I'll go elsewhere. YMMV.
The appeal of a 2-row truck is more storage space, and in theory, saving money on 2 seats and other options you feel you may not need. For overlanders, that's a major advantage. E.g., you do not need a HUD, video screens on the back of the front 2 seats, the greatest stereo in the world, etc.

Another obvious advantage is AHC for less than perfect roads, of which there are a bunch.

It's more of a "to each his own" thing. And a bare bones 200 series has plenty of "good stuff", imo.
Old 01-17-18, 02:29 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Part of the great experience of owning an LX are all the great options. But if the only way to get the 2-row version is by buying a stripped down version - NO THANK YOU! I would suspect that most people interested in the 2-row version of the LX are mature (older) people with money who would want all the goodies. (maybe i'm wrong) Therefore, my question to Lexus is: Did they really want to create an LX for the mature active person (people after kids) or was this a disguise to come out with a cheap version of the LX to simply maximize sales and create some extra buzz as this model comes to the end of its run?
Old 01-17-18, 03:34 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashron
Part of the great experience of owning an LX are all the great options. But if the only way to get the 2-row version is by buying a stripped down version - NO THANK YOU! I would suspect that most people interested in the 2-row version of the LX are mature (older) people with money who would want all the goodies. (maybe i'm wrong) Therefore, my question to Lexus is: Did they really want to create an LX for the mature active person (people after kids) or was this a disguise to come out with a cheap version of the LX to simply maximize sales and create some extra buzz as this model comes to the end of its run?
It doesn't make any sense why Lexus would offer this 2 row trim and decides not to offer any available options at all. If options were available for the 2 row trim, I am pretty sure it would come fully loaded just like the 3 row variant. I buy the LX because of the reliability of the vehicle, but I also want all the options (less the rear entertainment system) that are available. However, it would be better if Lexus lets the customer build the car the way they want rather than selling them loaded up.

If options were available on the 2 row, I would've picked all the options less the RES and 21" wheel.
Old 01-17-18, 09:17 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ashron
I'd suspect that many people are younger (not sure what you mean about "mature") people with kids that bought an LX or it's parent, the Land Cruiser to enjoy seeing the world around us. Most of that sightseeing and camping is definitely not a back in, unload, and pitch the tent campground.

You are kidding about "maximize sales and create some extra buzz" There's plenty of buzz even without advertising, as Toyota sells every 200 series they make, and very quickly. In 2017, Toyota exported ~6000 LX's and 3000 Land Cruisers to the north American market. You can contrast that with ~136,000 4Runners and then easily understand why they really don't need to "maximize" anything related to a 200 series. You get what's on the menu, no substitutions.
Old 01-18-18, 05:45 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, for one, am fine with the Two Row LX. Unavailable options are not worth the difference for my use. I just went to my dealer sight and the price of the Two Row is about $86K and the other 8-10 2018 LXs in stock are $99K+.

I can get but without the rear entertainment, 22" wheels, heads up, semi-aniline leather, heated steering wheel, etc. Ya I would be OK with a couple of those items but am pleased to have a Two Row choice. Wish they had also done on the LC and lowered the MSRP $5k.

As is, the 2018 LC and the 2018 LX Two Row are just about the same MSRP...not sure about deals though...maybe the Lexus dealers will stick closer to MSRP than the LC dealers.

BTW...while I have had three LCs I am kind of interested in owning the LX suspension. Any other LX surprises I would experience (over the LC)?

Thanks...TomMartin
Old 01-19-18, 11:22 AM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Got mine

Picked up my 2018 two-row Wednesday. Traded in the 2010 that was fully loaded for that year. Got the colors I wanted. While I would have liked an option for ML sound, there is no way I would ever want the rear entertainment again. There is nothing else I can think of that I'm missing with the two-row. Never used the middle row seat heater. I like the two-row climate control for the rear on the back of the pull down on the middle row to keep controls away from the dogs. I rejoice at not having a cool box which we never used and deprived us of storage space. Now I have the removable tray and real room in the console. For me, the important thing is maximum space for dogs and gear, the great 4 wheel drive system, AHC, plus the new safety features. I really appreciate those and the automatic multiple cameras. It's not going to be the LX for everyone, but from the inquiries my dealer is getting, there is a lot of interest in it. For me it's not a money issue, and I'm sure the cost isn't going to be the deciding issue for most looking at any LX. I'm working on using voice as much as possible rather than trackpad. And, driving it home from the dealer at night made me appreciate the LED headlights -- even if they don't turn in a curve as my others did. BTW, Tom, a new LC was being picked up at the same time. New owner gave me a tour. Wonderful vehicle, but I felt claustrophobic and could not see myself "sitting on the road" on an interstate with big trucks or on a snowy road in it. The ride and space inside the LX are so different that it's really hard to compare it to a coupe or sedan. It's the ocean liner, not the speed boat.
Old 01-19-18, 02:35 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ccj4
Picked up my 2018 two-row Wednesday. There is nothing else I can think of that I'm missing with the two-row. Never used the middle row seat heater. I like the two-row climate control for the rear on the back of the pull down on the middle row to keep controls away from the dogs. I rejoice at not having a cool box which we never used and deprived us of storage space.

Now I have the removable tray and real room in the console. For me, the important thing is maximum space for dogs and gear, the great 4 wheel drive system, AHC, plus the new safety features. I really appreciate those and the automatic multiple cameras. It's not going to be the LX for everyone, but from the inquiries my dealer is getting, there is a lot of interest in it. For me it's not a money issue, and I'm sure the cost isn't going to be the deciding issue for most looking at any LX.

I'm working on using voice as much as possible rather than trackpad. And, driving it home from the dealer at night made me appreciate the LED headlights -- even if they don't turn in a curve as my others did. BTW, Tom, a new LC was being picked up at the same time. New owner gave me a tour. Wonderful vehicle, but I felt claustrophobic and could not see myself "sitting on the road" on an interstate with big trucks or on a snowy road in it. The ride and space inside the LX are so different that it's really hard to compare it to a coupe or sedan. It's the ocean liner, not the speed boat.
Sorry, had to do paragraphs...

Our 200 series is a Land Cruiser. Dogs and stuff have more than enough room, though not as much as a Suburban . We'll use the cool box for day trips in the summer, but stuff goes in it when we're in the mountains for a couple of weeks.

I'm wondering how you can feel claustrophobic in a Land Cruiser but not an LX. The Cruiser has a 0.6 inches more hip room in the front, and that's the ONLY difference. We've been on plenty of snowy interstates and we've kept going safely while the big trucks were parked...nothing to it. If you're paranoid as to driving a Cruiser in snow with a bunch of big trucks, be aware that LX and Land Cruiser drive trains are identical.

Last edited by hankinid; 01-19-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 02:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TomMartin
I, for one, am fine with the Two Row LX. Unavailable options are not worth the difference for my use. I just went to my dealer sight and the price of the Two Row is about $86K and the other 8-10 2018 LXs in stock are $99K+.

I can get but without the rear entertainment, 22" wheels, heads up, semi-aniline leather, heated steering wheel, etc. Ya I would be OK with a couple of those items but am pleased to have a Two Row choice. Wish they had also done on the LC and lowered the MSRP $5k.

As is, the 2018 LC and the 2018 LX Two Row are just about the same MSRP...not sure about deals though...maybe the Lexus dealers will stick closer to MSRP than the LC dealers.

BTW...while I have had three LCs I am kind of interested in owning the LX suspension. Any other LX surprises I would experience (over the LC)?

Thanks...TomMartin
I'd take a 2 row Cruiser anytime. Toyota imported ~9000 series 200's to the north American market last year... ~ 6000 LX's and 3000 Cruisers. The 2:1 ratio may be reflected in how a dealer prices the trucks, but normally there's not a lot of room as dealers know they'll sell every one they get, and quickly. I usually go for a 2-3 year old truck and let the first guy eat some depreciation.

The biggest LX surprise might be the AHC. Based on stories on ih8mud.com https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/200-...-cruisers.136/ major failure mode seems to be ignoring AHC fluid changes and / or intervals. Toyota says every 60K, I and many others cut that in half. The job takes an hour max the first time and ~$50 or so in Toyota ACH fluid...and you DO NOT use anything else. Failures are not common and very very few post about how well their AHC is working. Our '01 LX just hit 190K, AHC pressures measure dead-nuts within Toyota's pressure range.

I also don't accept "lifetime" transmission fluid, so that get done with the AHC at 30K...for me that's every 4th oil/filter change.

Enjoy
Old 01-19-18, 09:31 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem is there is zilch for OPTIONS with the 2-row, which for a Lexus, is not good....esp considering that if you opt for the 3rd row, you get a whole spectrum of things to choose from. Idiotic. The ML audio upgrade is one I would want. The HUD as well. As well as the premium interior. Those who are fine without them, well that's good for you I suppose, but for those of us who differ, it isn't and the option list is nil. I think the console cooler can be retrofitted. So if they are going to offer the 2 row version, they need to offer some of the Luxury options as well. That's the whole point of a Lexus. If not, I'm not interested in it. YMMV.
Old 01-20-18, 05:41 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is there is zilch for OPTIONS with the 2-row, which for a Lexus, is not good....esp considering that if you opt for the 3rd row, you get a whole spectrum of things to choose from. Idiotic. The ML audio upgrade is one I would want. The HUD as well. As well as the premium interior. Those who are fine without them, well that's good for you I suppose, but for those of us who differ, it isn't and the option list is nil. I think the console cooler can be retrofitted. So if they are going to offer the 2 row version, they need to offer some of the Luxury options as well. That's the whole point of a Lexus. If not, I'm not interested in it. YMMV.
The problem is, Lexus offers the 2 row as a base model with no options while there are options available for the 3 row model, however, 95% of the time the vehicle comes fully loaded from the factory. I tried to order one without the rear entertainment system and 21" but the dealer said they all come pre-built the same from the factory. With that said, we can't really build the vehicle the way we want anymore. Lexus basically tried to get more money for the LX since they sell so few of these compared to the ES and RX.
Old 01-20-18, 06:14 AM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a pity that Cabernet leather can't be optioned, by far my favorite option on the LX. In a year and a half of ownership I've used the 3rd row seat 3-4 times, however, I've never needed more storage space. It is great though that the LX and LC are starting at the same price. In my home country, the difference is around $30k. I guess the next step is to bring a cheaper LC with the 4.6 V8 engine to make it even more attractive and compete with the Nissan Armada.
Old 01-20-18, 10:39 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

I agree that the console cooler can probably be retrofitted. I think the cost would be phenomenal, as new a/c plumbing needs to be added.

Originally Posted by lex97h
The problem is, Lexus offers the 2 row as a base model with no options while there are options available for the 3 row model, however, 95% of the time the vehicle comes fully loaded from the factory. I tried to order one without the rear entertainment system and 21" but the dealer said they all come pre-built the same from the factory. With that said, we can't really build the vehicle the way we want anymore. Lexus basically tried to get more money for the LX since they sell so few of these compared to the ES and RX.
A dealer that knows how to do it has visibility as to what's being built and on the boat now, as well as what's scheduled to be built...you may wait a bit but you should get what you want. The comment about "Lexus basically tried to get more money...etc." makes no sense whatsoever. Lexus only exported ~6000 LX's last year to the north American market. Given very low volume, they can ask what they want and don't have to deal like they would with an EX or an RX.

Originally Posted by andreasP
Its a pity that Cabernet leather can't be optioned, by far my favorite option on the LX. In a year and a half of ownership I've used the 3rd row seat 3-4 times, however, I've never needed more storage space. It is great though that the LX and LC are starting at the same price. In my home country, the difference is around $30k. I guess the next step is to bring a cheaper LC with the 4.6 V8 engine to make it even more attractive and compete with the Nissan Armada.
How does dropping engine displacement make the Land Cruiser "more attractive"? A stripped Armada is close to a Nissan Patrol sold around the world. Maybe a Prado might compete with the Armada/Patrol, but a Prado is definitely not a 200 series by any means.
Old 01-20-18, 05:22 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid

How does dropping engine displacement make the Land Cruiser "more attractive"? A stripped Armada is close to a Nissan Patrol sold around the world. Maybe a Prado might compete with the Armada/Patrol, but a Prado is definitely not a 200 series by any means.
Making it cheaper makes it more attractive. The 4.6 V8 sold around the world is actually a great engine and a cheaper option. The Prado/GX aren't in the same category as a Nissan Patrol/Armada, but it does complete with the LC200 around the world, so it makes sense to bring a cheaper LC200 to the US. Not that I really care about them, others might be.
Old 01-21-18, 09:26 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be fine with 2018 LC200 except for the third row seating...and perhaps the now very dated styling. Wife says she actually likes the styling better on our 2004 LC100...and I don't disagree.

2018 LX Two Row solves the third row seat issue, provides a somewhat newer style base, and gets the Lexus suspension...which most say I is a nice feature? It does that for about the same price as a 2018 LC.

Wondering if any MSRP discount would be less on the LX than on a LC...new 2018 LCs on auto trader below $80K already...not sure what discount (if any?) to be expected on 2018 LX Two Row?

Also wish they had a Red color choice...guess Nebula Gray would be OK..the Gold color looks interesting.

Thanks...TomMartin

P.S. Only option I would truly miss is the Cabernet leather...I do like that...TMR
Old 01-21-18, 03:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andreasP
Making it cheaper makes it more attractive. The 4.6 V8 sold around the world is actually a great engine and a cheaper option. The Prado/GX aren't in the same category as a Nissan Patrol/Armada, but it does complete with the LC200 around the world, so it makes sense to bring a cheaper LC200 to the US. Not that I really care about them, others might be.
I'd observe that those shopping for a new 200 series truck fully realize they'll drop the better part of $100K. I'd think it more attractive per se with a lower price, and most realize they'll spend a ton of money and definitely not see the percentage discounts you see on a Corolla or 4Runner. Those with less money simply go for the Prado / GX option.

Originally Posted by TomMartin
I would be fine with 2018 LC200 except for the third row seating...and perhaps the now very dated styling. Wife says she actually likes the styling better on our 2004 LC100...and I don't disagree.

2018 LX Two Row solves the third row seat issue, provides a somewhat newer style base, and gets the Lexus suspension...which most say I is a nice feature? It does that for about the same price as a 2018 LC.

Wondering if any MSRP discount would be less on the LX than on a LC...new 2018 LCs on auto trader below $80K already...not sure what discount (if any?) to be expected on 2018 LX Two Row?

Also wish they had a Red color choice...guess Nebula Gray would be OK..the Gold color looks interesting.

Thanks...TomMartin
I've posted here more than once that radical styling, e.g. the snow plow front end on the current LX, gets dated very quickly. Our 470 has classic conservative styling and will still look great 10 years from now, imo. No idea as to '18 2-row LX discounts. Gold is a good color for not showing dirt. My 200 is Midnight Metallic Grey...not quite as bad as black for upkeep, but close.

Quick Reply: 2018 LX - 2 Row Option!!