LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Cost/value of CPO

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 09:20 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost/value of CPO

I've been looking for a 2015 LX and had been focused on non-CPO cars. However, I came across a CPO that looks interesting but is priced a good bit more than comparable non-CPO / non-Lexus dealer vehicles. I know that's the norm but was trying to quantify the actual financial value of the CPO warranty.

I've purchased a CPO GS 350 in the past but the CPO warranty has changed since then. When I bought my GS I seem to recall the CPO warranty being a cost of around $1600. (this was what the dealer would have knocked off the price is they sold without the CPO warranty).

Now that the warranty includes up to 4 service intervals it seems like you could potentially justify some of the cost since it would be like pre-paying for maintenence. The 2015 CPO LX has 45k miles. Does anyone have a ballpark cost for the next 4 service intervals? Or a dealer cost for a CPO warranty?
Old 12-30-17, 11:30 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ntx
Now that the warranty includes up to 4 service intervals it seems like you could potentially justify some of the cost since it would be like pre-paying for maintenence. The 2015 CPO LX has 45k miles. Does anyone have a ballpark cost for the next 4 service intervals? Or a dealer cost for a CPO warranty?
I might ask a good indy shop what they'd charge for the next 4 service intervals...
Old 12-31-17, 06:24 AM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

After reviewing the service schedule on the Lexus owners site it looks llike 3 of the 4 service intervals are basically oil changes and tire rotation. Based on my past Lexus ownership experience I'm assuming this is probably a $150-$175 cost per visit. The 60k service looks more comprehensive. Anyone have a ballpark of the cost of your regular 60k LX service from the dealer?
Old 12-31-17, 06:36 AM
Jerkstore
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 60k service is listed at $650 at my dealer. Cost of cpo for the lx is about 2500. I think a cpo 2015 with 45k miles is the best deal around especially if it includes new tires and brakes. You're getting 3-4 years of warranty and 2 years of service.
The following users liked this post:
ntx (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 07:12 AM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
The 60k service is listed at $650 at my dealer. Cost of cpo for the lx is about 2500. I think a cpo 2015 with 45k miles is the best deal around especially if it includes new tires and brakes. You're getting 3-4 years of warranty and 2 years of service.
Thanks. That's what caught my attention. I've found a few 2015 non-CPO cars with close to comparable miles for around $53k, so if I could get the CPO around $55.5 or so it looks attractive. (Not sure if it's realistic but worth a shot) It was also sold and serviced by the same dealer which is appealing. Interestingly I'm finding a lot of Toyota dealers selling used LXs that I think they must be getting from lease return auctions.
Old 12-31-17, 08:07 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

5000 miles/6 month services are typically oil change and tire rotation and cost in Las Vegas $75, as for 60K service which is considered major will cost around $750 if no major issues are found. $55K for CPO 15 LX570 is good price, I would buy if I had been looking for one.
Old 12-31-17, 08:37 AM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went CPO for peace of mind. If the price difference is no more than $3k, I think it's worth it. Maintenance and extended warranty benefits sold the car for me.
Old 12-31-17, 09:36 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

For a high end vehicle (and rather complicated one), I would personally prefer to spend extra $ for CPO and get extra factory extended warranty.
Old 12-31-17, 11:12 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For my purposes, I'd rather keep the CPO $ in my pocket when it comes to the higher-end Lexus vehicles. Here's the complete list of EVERYTHING, aside from routine maintenance (which I do myself) that has gone wrong with my LEXUS vehicles prior to 100K miles:
GX 470: two burned out fog light bulbs
2003 LS 430: remote control mirror switch got balky, dealer either repaired it or replaced it (not sure which) under warranty
2005 LS 430: Rear door weatherstripping developed a small separation at the hinge point. I'm not sure if it was a defect, or if someone accidentally tore it (the latter is certainly possible/likely). Either way, the dealer replaced it at no charge.
LX 570 at 89K miles: Nothing.
Old 12-31-17, 11:52 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would do the same and keep the money in my pocket, BUT it all depends on the final NEGOTIATED price.

If the FINAL NEGOTIATED price for the CPO is around $1500 to $2000 more than a comparable LX570, THEN I WILL GO FOR THE CPO. Remember that Lexus CPO program had changed starting January 1st, 2016 to offer UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY FOR TOTAL OF 6 YEARS from the date of ORIGINAL IN-SERVICE DATE OR 2 more years AFTER OEM LEXUS warranty.

Also IF ALL TIRES/BRAKES are new (bc it's a CPO) AND ALL PRIOR SERVICES ARE UP TO DATE, THEN I think CPO MAYBE the better option given the parameters above.

My prior LX was a 2000 LX470 and we drove it to some 280K+ miles before trading in for another brand new 2013 LX570. BOTH LX's had NO MAJOR problems. On our old 2000 LX470, we had declined ALL optional warranties. But on our new LX570 we opted for the "Lexus extended warranty". We felt the new LX570 HAS A LOT MORE TECH VS THE OLD ONE AND CHANCES OF FAILURES ARE "HIGHER". 20/20 hind sight tells me that most likely we will not have to use the extended warranty, but it's not over until it is over. IT'S there should we need it.

Think of it this way........ THAT LX570 YOU ARE LOOKING AT IS ALREADY "CPOed BY A LEXUS DEALERSHIP", therefore it ALREADY met a certain set of "standards" (Assuming that Lexus DEALERSHIP did the CPO by the "book"), so you might just want to get them to REDUCE THE FINAL PRICE MORE AND GO FOR IT WITHOUT THE CPO DESIGNATION!!! It's all about your comfort level.

Originally Posted by I6turbo
For my purposes, I'd rather keep the CPO $ in my pocket when it comes to the higher-end Lexus vehicles. Here's the complete list of EVERYTHING, aside from routine maintenance (which I do myself) that has gone wrong with my LEXUS vehicles prior to 100K miles:
2003 LS 430: remote control mirror switch got balky, dealer either repaired it or replaced it (not sure which) under warranty
2005 LS 430: Rear door weatherstripping developed a small separation at the hinge point. I'm not sure if it was a defect, or if someone accidentally tore it (the latter is certainly possible/likely). Either way, the dealer replaced it at no charge.
Old 12-31-17, 01:05 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pacman9270
I went CPO for peace of mind. If the price difference is no more than $3k, I think it's worth it. Maintenance and extended warranty benefits sold the car for me.
I see you are in Texas too. Could you give me a feel for how much (or %) you were able to get off the dealer's asking price? My experience has been that cars seem to be a little higher and dealers less willing to negotiate as much in my area of the state.
Old 12-31-17, 03:10 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
That's awesome. This does seem to be the trend with Lexus. BTW, this is my first Lexus. Now I'm really noticing all of the older Lexus vehicles on the road. It's great to see that.
Old 12-31-17, 03:13 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Originally Posted by ntx
I see you are in Texas too. Could you give me a feel for how much (or %) you were able to get off the dealer's asking price? My experience has been that cars seem to be a little higher and dealers less willing to negotiate as much in my area of the state.
I'd say about 5%. I got a good deal on the vehicle per what KBB was telling me I should pay at the time.
Old 12-31-17, 07:59 PM
ntx
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Pacman9270;10068545]I'd say about 5%. I got a good deal on the vehicle per what KBB was telling me I should pay at the time.[/QUOTE
Thanks. I'd be very happy with 5% off ask. Was the car in their inventory a while? Just curious if this was an extreme case or more of a standard target for a price reduction.

Last edited by ntx; 12-31-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-01-18, 07:28 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Usually most dealership use the 30/60/90 days rule.

​​​​​​At least one national chain that I know of will not lower their price until 31/61/91 days mark. At 91 days, you can really make your deal BEFORE they send it to auction. But LX570 /LC will not stay on the lot for that long unless there is really something major wrong with it.

[QUOTE=ntx;10068688]
Originally Posted by Pacman9270
I'd say about 5%. I got a good deal on the vehicle per what KBB was telling me I should pay at the time.[/QUOTE
Thanks. I'd be very happy with 5% off ask. Was the car in their inventory a while? Just curious if this was an extreme case or more of a standard target for a price reduction.

Quick Reply: Cost/value of CPO