LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Second row captain chairs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 08:00 AM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second row captain chairs?

Has anyone tried to change the second row in an LX from a bench seat to captains chairs?

In less than a month we'll be having out 3rd child and we'll need at least two child carseats. It would be nice if we could access the third row without having to fold the second row (since there are child seats installed) or climb over the center armrest.

I'm honestly a little surprised that this isn't an option since most full size SUVs with third rows have it available.
Old 01-04-18, 11:26 AM
chrisleduc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For what it’s worth, our plan when #3 comes is to put my oldest in the 3rd row, the newborn in the middle row middle seat and the middle kid on the middle side, opposite the third row car seat. Our oldest can strap herself in but the middle will require assist center a bit longer. With the 2 oldest having their seats on opposite sides, accessing the third row should be easy since there will not be a car seat there. Also, on my ‘18, there is a hoook under the outside middle row seats that allows you to keep the second row folded up by hooking it up to the overhead handle.
The following users liked this post:
BVan570 (01-04-18)
Old 01-04-18, 12:19 PM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking about putting the two youngest in the middle like you mentioned, but since it’s roughly a 60/40 split bench, it’s going to be a little snug with the newborn seat since the two kids will be sharing only 60% of the bench. I’ll do some more test fitting this weekend and see.

I’m also going to check with a local custom shop to see if they can trim the center armrest and seat cushion. It doesn’t appear that there are any latches under that portion, so it hopefully wouldn’t affect the safety of anything.
Old 01-04-18, 02:22 PM
chrisleduc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am curious to see how your test fitting goes. Our primary kid hauler is an Odyssey, this is slightly less of an issue for us.

What car seats are you using? We are using the Britax Advocate. It is pretty wide. I have 2 in each vehicle, but I have yet to try putting a third in either of my vehicles, to see how it will actually work, mostly out of laziness, since I still have about 10 weeks..

Will you have the middle seat rear facing, and the outboard forward facing? This should help them to fit side by side more closely and take up less room. Also, if the middle is rear facing, I suspect that will allow better access for the side seat to be rotated forward...
BVan570 (01-08-18)
Old 01-05-18, 12:40 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a different spin on this issue. I too would prefer the center row were two separate captain seats - or at least provide that as an option. While my kids are adults now, I am an executive (CEO) and at times take customers/vendors in my car to meetings, lunches, etc. Captain seats would be much more comfortable for the second row adult passengers and make the car much more upscale. As to all the control buttons on the center armrest, i'm sure they could easily be relocated somewhere else. Something Lexus should seriously consider on their next generation LX. I think i'll start a new thread of suggestions for the next generation LX
BVan570 (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 06:50 AM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

My 09' doesn't have any electrical in the center armrest... at least I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure it's just the little flip up cupholders and a storage compartment (which probably full of stale fries and cheerios).
Old 01-08-18, 07:07 AM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

chrisleduc My wife is the primary driver of the LX and I'm trying to avoid switching her over to a minivan, so the LX is going to be the main vehicle that will be used to haul the kids around. It's been perfect with only two of them and only using the third row when my wife and another mom friend with kids want to go to the beach or zoo kinda stuff.

I did the test fit with the seats this weekend, and it wan't too bad. I'm thinking if I just remove the center fold down arm rest, it will make it quicker and easier for my 7yo to get in and out of the 3rd. It really wasn't too bad with all three in the middle row if we just use regular booster seats for my 5yo and 7yo. I'm honestly not sure what age or size they are supposed to be before they aren't required to use a booster seat anymore, but as soon as my oldest is able to, it will be much easier. One thing I did discover is that there isn't anchor points between the seat bottom and seat back in the center of the middle row, so the rear facing seat for the infant will have to go either behind the driver or passenger front seat.
Old 01-08-18, 07:21 AM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

Not too bad with all three in the middle, but it'll be pretty snug for the middle. If we switch to a regular booster for the oldest two kids it will be alright.
Lifting the one side up doesn't really leave any room in the middle. Even with the smaller booster there, it had to be moved in order for the seat to go up and down.
I'm thinking if I just removed the center armrest, it will make it much easier for them to get in and out of the 3rd row. Then I can put it back in when we decide to sell the vehicle or when all three will fit in the middle with no issue.
Old 03-06-18, 04:21 PM
tfade
Driver School Candidate

Default Remove Armrest

BVan570,

Did you successfully remove the armrest? How did that work out for you? Any pics?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-18, 08:06 AM
BVan570
Driver School Candidate

I actually haven't removed it yet. My wife wanted to leave the arm rest in for now so she can jump back there to sit in the middle next to the baby if he starts fussing on longer trips. So for now my oldest (8yo) is just getting in and out through the back hatch and we only have one seat upright on the 3rd row. It's really not as inconvenient as I thought it would be having her getting in and out the back since you can open the hatch on the key fob and close it with the button on the dash. One added benefit doing that is it's one less door being flung open that might bang into another parked car next to us. LOL

Maybe when the baby is a little older and forward facing, I will revisit the idea of taking it out...
Old 05-20-18, 08:44 PM
vkj200
Driver School Candidate

We have a 7yr, 3.5yr old and infant all in the 2nd row. If my wife decides to ride in the back with the baby then the oldest goes in the 3rd row.
I was concerned about how the LX will handle a family of 5 but it does just fine.