LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

lx570 family of 5 hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 01:49 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I think that the interior space of Sequoia is comparable to Sienna or other minivans. BTW, I think that minivan is a good choice for anyone who does not need to go offroad. After about 8 years here in the USA I still do not understand why Americans hate minivans so much. If VW Multivan or Mercedes V-class would be offered here in the USA, I would buy it and used for most family trips. But car manufacturers probably think that $100,000 minivan cannot be sold here in the USA :-(
Old 02-02-18, 04:44 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I think that the interior space of Sequoia is comparable to Sienna or other minivans. BTW, I think that minivan is a good choice for anyone who does not need to go offroad. After about 8 years here in the USA I still do not understand why Americans hate minivans so much. If VW Multivan or Mercedes V-class would be offered here in the USA, I would buy it and used for most family trips. But car manufacturers probably think that $100,000 minivan cannot be sold here in the USA :-(
Well Tesla is successfully selling its $100k+ mini van in disguise as an SUV, hoping nobody would notice.
Old 02-03-18, 01:55 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

THAT'S WHAT I TOLD HER!!! YOU DESERVE THE BEST AND THE MOST CAPABLE SUV IN THE WORLD!! Incidentally on more than one occasion when we are on some hilly terrain she is scared to drive it, so I had to take over. Way back some years ago we were looking at a house up on a hill, she said NO WAY I'm driving up and down like that every day!!! So we rejected that house!! First world problems. LOL 😀😁😀😀

Our old LX470 and our current LX570 both got light beige interior. Just need to be diligent about cleaning it AND pretreat it on DAY ONE when new. When we traded our old LX470 after some 13 years and 280+K miles later, the interior was still looking new.

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Your wife "pooped" out your 3rd kid so she's DESERVED the LX and nothing less (just don't get light color interior).

I have 3 boys and the GX460 is fine (even the RX350 is fine as well).
Old 02-03-18, 02:00 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I think Tesla is after a different market segment of folks....

Originally Posted by andreasP
Well Tesla is successfully selling its $100k+ mini van in disguise as an SUV, hoping nobody would notice.
Old 02-04-18, 08:33 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I think that sums it up! its really hard to like any other suv and I am trying to be pretty open
Originally Posted by Max707
Your into LX570’s. You’re on here wanting us to talk you into something you do not want to do which is drive a minivan go with your gut get the LX 570 enjoy your life.
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (02-05-18)
Old 02-04-18, 08:36 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I think for me its the ride, its hard to explain I get sort of nausesated after some time. I used to get motion sickness when I was kid and my older kid has the same.
Old 02-04-18, 11:49 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I went through this dilemma 2 weeks ago - wife had a 2014 Pilot Touring where the 3rd row seat was usable. As we looked for alternatives, she liked the LX570 (of course, who wouldn't!) and our 10 year old daughter sits in the 3rd row with decent comfort. We did like the VW Atlas (think Sequioa, but much more modern with better safety features & better ride....bad interior quality though). On one hand, I can count the SUV's that were in serious consideration to help you narrow your search with the criteria being a usable 3rd row seat:

Sequoia - wife liked this veeeeery much but the fact it hasn't been updated in a decade....not wanting to splunk $50k on that
Mercedes GLS - Cheaper than the LX, more room, better updated electronics/gadgets. My wife just didn't like it...
Infiniti QX80 - even the revised 2018's didn't dissuade my wife from the fact it is a rebadged Nissan with an inferior dealership experience
New Ford Expedition - impressive, just too new for us to seriously consider spending $60k
Honda Pilot - my wife hates the looks of the new one, and we jointly despise our closest Honda dealership

Thus we circled back to the LX...not the most ideal for a family hauler with all 3 rows being utilized, but it works and my wife loooves the drive! Another vehicle worth considering is the Chrysler Pacifica...you can get $11-$13k off MSRP on new 2017's, though the 18's come with Apple Carplay.
Old 02-04-18, 01:23 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wandl
We did like the VW Atlas (think Sequioa, but much more modern with better safety features & better ride....bad interior quality though).
I think that Atlas is still significantly smaller than Sequoia. And what better safety features on atlas do you mean? 2018 Sequoia finally received Toyta Safety Sense P (pre-collision system, adaptive cruise control, lane departure alert), it also can have blind spot monitor with rear-cross alert. It has LED headlights even with automatic high beams (I think that Atlas does not have automatic high beams).
Sequoia has 4WD with Torsen center differential and low gear transfer case. Atlas has 4Motion which means just Haldex. That's much worse if you really need to use it offroad. Sequoia has reliable powerful 5.7 V8 with a great 6-speed transmission (I wish I would have the same 6 speed only transmission in my '16LX).
Sequoia was not updated for a decade. Yes, it's true. But what should be updated, what is wrong? Toyota just added some safety features and that's what was needed. Now Sequoia is almost perfect if you need a reliable body on frame full size SUV. O.K., maybe I am still missing head-up display and a larger tank (simlar to Tundra) would be useful.
I agree that Atlas has some advantages. If you do not need offroad driving or towing you can be happy with its better fuel economy. But, that's it. I cannot see any anything else.
Old 02-04-18, 01:39 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless the VW comes with a free mechanic I would stay away. I have two grown kids and have an 09 LX and a Honda Pilot. Pilot has more cargo space, half the price of gas, no issues of road but rides like a cheap carriage compared to the LX. If you take lots of trips like I do, and spend 6-7 hrs in a vehicle at a time, the LX will be much nicer on your A$$ even if its not nice to your wallet.
Old 02-04-18, 02:25 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

spot on - I just test drove a pilot and felt the same thing; I mean its nice and all but just felt weird and I was thinking maybe we are just too spoiled with just having Lexus for a while.
Originally Posted by pizdets17
Unless the VW comes with a free mechanic I would stay away. I have two grown kids and have an 09 LX and a Honda Pilot. Pilot has more cargo space, half the price of gas, no issues of road but rides like a cheap carriage compared to the LX. If you take lots of trips like I do, and spend 6-7 hrs in a vehicle at a time, the LX will be much nicer on your A$$ even if its not nice to your wallet.
Old 02-04-18, 10:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Oh YES!!!

Once you get a taste what's possbile out there with the LX.......THERE IS NO GOING BACK TO WHATEVER OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

That's why for long trips we usually take our LX570. IT sure drinks gas as thirsty as ever if you go fast with paddle to the metal, it gets worse. But if one buys an LX, one should have already done the homework and figured that. This is one of the reasons why we ruled out something like a Toyota Sequioa......it's also nice and everything, but not the same......plus the Sequioa is just as thirsty if not more. So if the mpg is about the same, might as well drive the LX (true the initial cost of acquisition of the LX570 MAYBE higher, but with some tough NEGOTIATIONS one can bring the cost of the LX570 down considerably. I personally know people who went out and got a brand new Sequioa and paid way too much and may have gotten a better deal with the LX570.)

Originally Posted by UZ214
spot on - I just test drove a pilot and felt the same thing; I mean its nice and all but just felt weird and I was thinking maybe we are just too spoiled with just having Lexus for a while.
Old 02-04-18, 10:46 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

plus sequoias are ugly. They kinda look like a bus
Old 02-04-18, 11:38 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by pizdets17
plus sequoias are ugly. They kinda look like a bus
And actually, Sequoia is such a small bus. No problem with that :-) Unfortunately, 2016+ LX with the snowplow front grill is uglier...I hate it on my '16 LX.
Regarding mpg - Sequoia is slightly (about 1 mpg) better. I own both, so I can compare. The reason is probably that Sequoia can be switched to 2WD and I think that it is also slightly lighter.
Old 02-04-18, 11:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Ugly or not depends on the individual.

Personally I don't mind the "snow plow" . 😁😁😁

And actually, Sequoia is such a small bus. No problem with that :-) Unfortunately, 2016+ LX with the snowplow front grill is uglier...I hate it on my '16 LX.
Regarding mpg - Sequoia is slightly (about 1 mpg) better. I own both, so I can compare. The reason is probably that Sequoia can be switched to 2WD and I think that it is also slightly lighter.
Old 02-05-18, 06:25 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

does the sequoia has an less safety features? one thing that I dont see in the sequoia is the front and sides cameras; not sure if the 2018 has them. The I love the front camera. also if you don't mid me asking why do you own both?

Quick Reply: lx570 family of 5 hauler?