LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Dynamic Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 05:18 AM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed that you are selling the inner as well as the outer tail light on eBay. Did you have to change the outer tail light to Japan spec?
Old 03-29-18, 03:55 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, both the inner and outer lights have to be changed. Looking carefully at the JDM inner lights, you can see the LED's in the housing, whereas the North American ones you cannot see them (as they don't exist) Hzhao is correct..

Lex97h, yes I changed both, I was speculating that the logic boards are in both lights (since looking into them the board looks the same, but missing wires), but I cannot confirm since I have not taken them apart.

j.
Old 03-29-18, 03:57 PM
j0mama
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex97h
It appears that the driver side also has the yellow turn signal wire going into the connector whereas the passenger side did not. Was the yellow wire present in the passenger side harness?
Are you comparing the first pic to the other? As the first picture is the outer light..
Old 03-29-18, 06:12 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Originally Posted by j0mama
Are you comparing the first pic to the other? As the first picture is the outer light..
That is correct, the first picture shows the yellow wire in the connector and since it's in the middle I am assuming it might be for the turn signal. As you stated the driver side has all the wires and it's a plug and play, but you mentioned that on the passenger side it is missing the two wires from PG0 and PGI. However looking at the picture where you showed the missing two wires, the yellow wire was also not present. So I am just wondering if the yellow wire was needed also for the sequential turn signal on the passenger side. Or did you have the add the yellow wire too.
Old 03-29-18, 06:13 PM
lex97h
Rookie

BTW, where did you source the tail lights from? Directly from Japan? What was the cost for the 4 set (2 inner and 2 outer) of light?
Old 03-30-18, 05:24 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

BTW, where did you source the tail lights from? Directly from Japan? What was the cost for the 4 set (2 inner and 2 outer) of light?
I bought 4 lights from China, total costs: 11,800 RMB (about: $1800 USD), where inner costs: 2600 RMB x2, outer costs: 3300 RMB x2
Old 03-30-18, 09:35 AM
j0mama
Rookie

That is correct, the first picture shows the yellow wire in the connector and since it's in the middle I am assuming it might be for the turn signal. As you stated the driver side has all the wires and it's a plug and play, but you mentioned that on the passenger side it is missing the two wires from PG0 and PGI. However looking at the picture where you showed the missing two wires, the yellow wire was also not present. So I am just wondering if the yellow wire was needed also for the sequential turn signal on the passenger side. Or did you have the add the yellow wire too.

Those are the two wires you need to add on the passenger side.

j.

Last edited by j0mama; 03-30-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 12:44 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
I bought 4 lights from China, total costs: 11,800 RMB (about: $1800 USD), where inner costs: 2600 RMB x2, outer costs: 3300 RMB x2
Did you get it from a website or did you purchase it there physically or have a relative or friend ship it to you? Also, was it an original Lexus parts from Japan?

Thanks
Old 03-30-18, 04:55 PM
hzhao
Racer

Did you get it from a website or did you purchase it there physically or have a relative or friend ship it to you? Also, was it an original Lexus parts from Japan?

Thanks
I was there on business trip and parts were from Japan, all Lexus parts.
Old 03-30-18, 05:32 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by j0mama

Those are the two wires you need to add on the passenger side.

j.
That's where confused me most. Look at lights I got, all have 6 wires already. Why would you had one light missing two wires, which is the US spec light look like, only had three wires. Here are wires on my lights (I didn't take the picture of driver side outer one, it also has 6 wires:

Both inner ones

Both inner ones wires

Passenger side corner one wires

Corner one
Old 03-30-18, 05:46 PM
hzhao
Racer

Unless what j0mama was saying there are missing two pins and wires on the passages side connector harness on the vehicle, the first pic was from the light that was original one (US spec light). So, since add pins to harness were difficult, you have run wires from light end by tapping two wires to pin 1 & 2 between inner and outer lights. Am I correct?
Old 03-30-18, 06:38 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
Unless what j0mama was saying there are missing two pins and wires on the passages side connector harness on the vehicle, the first pic was from the light that was original one (US spec light). So, since add pins to harness were difficult, you have run wires from light end by tapping two wires to pin 1 & 2 between inner and outer lights. Am I correct?
Based on the first pictured posted by Jomama, it would appear it was missing 3 wires instead of 2. It is why I was inquiring about the yellow wire which appears to be connected to the turn signal in the middle. But according to J, he stated that only the PG0 and PGI wires were missing. I am glad you cleared that up Hzhao. Did you have the rear dynamic light working with the new set from Japan? And also did you have to run the 2/3? extra wires that were missing on the passenger side? Now all we have to do is figure out if a control unit was missing for the front dynamic turn signal or perhaps it could be the headlamp itself just like the rear.
Old 03-30-18, 07:01 PM
hzhao
Racer

Based on the first pictured posted by Jomama, it would appear it was missing 3 wires instead of 2. It is why I was inquiring about the yellow wire which appears to be connected to the turn signal in the middle. But according to J, he stated that only the PG0 and PGI wires were missing. I am glad you cleared that up Hzhao. Did you have the rear dynamic light working with the new set from Japan? And also did you have to run the 2/3? extra wires that were missing on the passenger side? Now all we have to do is figure out if a control unit was missing for the front dynamic turn signal or perhaps it could be the headlamp itself just like the rear.
I have not had time to put them on yet (just got back in the States last night). With snow still flying in my area, i may have to wait for few days before I can work on it. My garage won't be able for me to work on the lift gate without stick front end out the door. But will keep everyone posted as soon as I am getting to it.

I did inquire the front lights. I don't have a conclusive answer on the subject. There is an actual headlight ECU for the headlights, functions includes auto leveling, auto heigh beam, etc. Not sure if the sequential turn signal will be part of ECU. Given the cost of headlight assembly, logically thinking, you would want to utilize the ECU to do the control and make the replacement lesser cost, also no need to have two separate configurations. Then we already know the tail lights didn't follow that logic anyway. I didn't think the replace the headlights would be an option for me anyway, first, the cost of each one is about my 4 tail lights together, second, to replace headlights, requires remove the front bumper, way outside my comfort zone. I am going to do some research to see if headlight ECU controls that function. If not, I am happy just to get tails to work.
The following users liked this post:
lex97h (03-30-18)
Old 03-30-18, 08:50 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Hey J0mama, perhaps you would know something about the front dynamic turn signal since you already have the rear working and plus you have access to the wiring diagram for the Japanese spec. Lx570 which I tried to get but was unsuccessful. If you ever do find the answer to it please post it. If it involves replacing the entire headlamp assembly as Hzhao assumed than it may not be worth it. I am thinking it might just be a missing control unit since the lamp assembly already has the LED in it.
Old 03-31-18, 06:02 PM
hzhao
Racer

I spand several hours to day and working on replacing tail lights. As j0mam indicated, there are two missing pins on the harness at passenger side. Driver side is plug and play, no issues there. As fa as the process, it is pretty straight forward by removing the lift gate plastic panels, starting from the top where the center stop lights attached, then two sides, then the big piece, they all held by clips and you just need to using a lit bit of force to get the first clip, then the rest is easier. Since there is no pins on the harness at passenger side, you would have to run the taping off the actual outer light itself. I ran the wire alone the weather strip all the way to the center, then feed through the wire boot (the right one) on top and get the wires in the lift gate panel. then tap the wires off the harness for the inner tail lights since all six wires are there. in order to remove the tail lights, you will also have to remove the speakers first. One word of caution: there are three screws hold the speaker, two of them are attach the speaker on one time use plastic retainer. So that you really need to be careful when you remove the speaker, and it is designed to break of. I almost break the first one and was able to save it and reattached speaker later. I forgot to take some pictures as I was deal with another major issue, as the outer passenger side tail lights I got is a DOA! which cost me lots of time to figure it out, I had to remove the driver side one, and connect the passages side light to driver side just to determine it was the lights. Anyway, as of now, I had both inner ones installed. but still using the OEM corner ones. at least I still have the turn signal, with dynamic signal, both inner and outer ones needs to be online together, otherwise, you get no lights at all if either one of them fails. The best thing out of this was at least I got the hardest part done. All I need is wait for replacement. Replacing outer ones are relatively easy, just two screws.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Turn Signals