windshield crack..2017 LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 06:59 AM
vikramt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield crack..2017 LX 570

Hello Everyone,

I have 2017 LX 570 that is around 8 months old. Mostly it stays in our garage, today morning I noticed a big crack in the windshield. I am bit surprised, there is no signs something hit it.. just wondering is this the issue/defect with LX windshield? Also just wondering how much will it cost to replace it? Should I replace it with the dealer only? I don't think windshield is part of factory warranty?

Thanks
Vikarm
Old 02-28-18, 08:55 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

It isn't - depending on your comprehensive insurance deductible, I'd suggest that route. I'd venture to guess auto glass companies like Safelite would carry the LX570 windshield so don't assume it is a dealer-only item but your insurance company should be able to sort that out.
Old 02-28-18, 01:40 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Not covered under warranty. Claim on your insurance. Push them for a Lexus windshield and not some crappy 3rd party windshield. The LX (and Land Cruiser) have a windshield that is 2mm thicker than industry standard for longevity and to reduce noise in the vehicle. It will be an extremely expensive piece of glass (I'm guessing $1200) and your insurance is likely to want to push you towards something cheap from SafeLite or someone they are contracted with. Remind them this is a near $100,000 vehicle that is less than 1 year old and you are concerned about value depreciation of an aftermarket windshield. Additionally a poorly fitted or fitting windshield can lead to water leakage. There are cases of LX/Land Cruisers with water leaking into the ECU that is in the dash and destroying very expensive electronics after a windshield was poorly installed. Be insistent with your insurance, that is what you pay premiums for.
Good luck
Old 02-28-18, 08:17 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

When i’ve had my 16” LX for about four months and got small crack hit by a rock on highway, safelite tried to fix it, but still show the crack, and I mentioned to my state farm insurance that i want to replace the OEM windshield and they agreed, I contact the lexus dealer and the cost was $1560 installed so my insurance issued me a check for that amount, i kept the check and traded my 16” in for 17”, if you want the OEM it should run around $1500
Old 02-28-18, 09:45 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Go with OEM ONLY. I work for a dealership and a few clients had their windshields replaced w/ aftermarket glass and ended up having to replace w/ OEM again because of water leak and the aftermarket curvature of the glass did not fit well w/ the wipers also. And yes, most insurance policy will pay for aftermarket glass only (IF aftermarket is available). Some clients ended up paying the difference.
Old 02-28-18, 10:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Depending on your location (State).......some you can ibsiin on OEM, some not.

I would INSIST ON OEM and ASK the Lexus dealership who they use to install.

Other than OEM AND THE EXPERT INSTALLATION, YOU NOT ONLY RISK WATER LEAKAGE, BUT ALSO EXCESSIVE WIND NOISE. Back many years ago on our old 2000 LX470 we had our windshield replaced initially by a mom and pop shop with OEM in a very small rural town and it was the only Lexus LX they had done and it leaked. They said they will not try again and refunded my deductible so I moved on to Safelite about an hour and half away since no other options nearer. Safelite had not seen too many LX either. So the first ATTEMPT had lots of wind noise. So they tried and tried again. Forward 11 times!!! FINALLY the big boss came into the shop to make sure ENOUGH GLUE WAS APPLIED AND OLD GLUE SCRAPPED OFF. It took a total of 12 times!!! Unbelievable!!

Years later when I've changed insurance company they asked what happened. This stuff stays on the insurance records even though not my fault. The insurance company did not surcharge me, so that's good.

Originally Posted by z32
Go with OEM ONLY. I work for a dealership and a few clients had their windshields replaced w/ aftermarket glass and ended up having to replace w/ OEM again because of water leak and the aftermarket curvature of the glass did not fit well w/ the wipers also. And yes, most insurance policy will pay for aftermarket glass only (IF aftermarket is available). Some clients ended up paying the difference.
Old 03-01-18, 08:03 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

that is crazy but i can relate. i had a 06 and when i bought it it had little noise i realized it was an aftermarket glass- well changed it..and changed it again...3 times - i paid out of pocket well because nothing was wrong with it but when wind noise...in the end i glued the corners myself after peeling off the strip and had the shop apply the OEM strip again.
i realized they were reusing the older rubber or had aftermarket dressing that goes around.
when they change everything needs to be replaced around the glass.

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Depending on your location (State).......some you can ibsiin on OEM, some not.

I would INSIST ON OEM and ASK the Lexus dealership who they use to install.

Other than OEM AND THE EXPERT INSTALLATION, YOU NOT ONLY RISK WATER LEAKAGE, BUT ALSO EXCESSIVE WIND NOISE. Back many years ago on our old 2000 LX470 we had our windshield replaced initially by a mom and pop shop with OEM in a very small rural town and it was the only Lexus LX they had done and it leaked. They said they will not try again and refunded my deductible so I moved on to Safelite about an hour and half away since no other options nearer. Safelite had not seen too many LX either. So the first ATTEMPT had lots of wind noise. So they tried and tried again. Forward 11 times!!! FINALLY the big boss came into the shop to make sure ENOUGH GLUE WAS APPLIED AND OLD GLUE SCRAPPED OFF. It took a total of 12 times!!! Unbelievable!!

Years later when I've changed insurance company they asked what happened. This stuff stays on the insurance records even though not my fault. The insurance company did not surcharge me, so that's good.
Old 03-02-18, 07:51 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2017 LX was hit by what looked like a piece of roofing shingle that flew out of the back of a truck on the interstate. It scratched the glass Badly. I have 0 dollar deductible on glass replacement and demanded a Lexus OEM replacement glass. USAA insurance uses safelite, they ordered the OEM Windshield and will replace it on the 10th of this month. I will let you know how it goes. So I would suggest doing the same with your insurance company. You may have a deductible though.
Old 03-02-18, 07:57 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tlhicks
My 2017 LX was hit by what looked like a piece of roofing shingle that flew out of the back of a truck on the interstate. It scratched the glass Badly. I have 0 dollar deductible on glass replacement and demanded a Lexus OEM replacement glass. USAA insurance uses safelite, they ordered the OEM Windshield and will replace it on the 10th of this month. I will let you know how it goes. So I would suggest doing the same with your insurance company. You may have a deductible though.
Glad to hear USAA will get the OEM glass, I have them too. I love USAA!
Old 03-02-18, 02:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
that is crazy but i can relate. i had a 06 and when i bought it it had little noise i realized it was an aftermarket glass- well changed it..and changed it again...3 times - i paid out of pocket well because nothing was wrong with it but when wind noise...in the end i glued the corners myself after peeling off the strip and had the shop apply the OEM strip again.
i realized they were reusing the older rubber or had aftermarket dressing that goes around.
when they change everything needs to be replaced around the glass.
There are a number of windshield rubber moldings that are supposed to be replaced with new per the FSM. Wife's LX had the oem windshield replaced with oem...thanks Farm Bureau Insurance.

Lexus dealer in town recommended their installer...great guy who lives around 2 miles away from us. He showed up with the correct Toyota nylon-coated pop rivets, the modified rivet gun to install them, and all the new rubber moldings. Installation was done in about an hour. Zero wind noise, zero water leakage was the result. I paid him the $100 deductible charge and that was it.

Originally Posted by tlhicks
Prior to calling Lexus for an installer referral, I drove the truck to the local Satellite and brought my FSM with me. Safelite's reaction was like deer in the headlights; that caused me to seek another installer. Farm Bureau will accept any installer who operates under a business name.
Old 03-02-18, 05:16 PM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Agree with OEM recommendation

I agree with all about OEM windshield. Only needed one new windshield on my last LX over 8 plus years, which is really great in Colorado. Rocks and hail wreak havoc on windshields here. Took a few years for a pretty big "star" chip to start a small crack. My experience is that OEM glass is better. Insurance let me order it through the dealer and the dealer had the glass company they use install it in a dealer bay -- the total price was no more than if S lite had ordered it through Lexus and installed it. Plus, that way vehicle got one of nice hand washes at the dealer.
Old 03-04-18, 11:50 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vikramt
Hello Everyone,

I have 2017 LX 570 that is around 8 months old. Mostly it stays in our garage, today morning I noticed a big crack in the windshield. I am bit surprised, there is no signs something hit it.. just wondering is this the issue/defect with LX windshield? Also just wondering how much will it cost to replace it? Should I replace it with the dealer only? I don't think windshield is part of factory warranty?

Thanks
Vikarm
take it back to the dealer if no sign of a rock hitting its a workmanship issue and should be covered under warranty
Old 03-05-18, 06:12 AM
MisterScot
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had two windshields replaced and each time Safelite would source the windshield from the dealer. OEM all the way. State Farm covered both fully.
Old 02-24-19, 09:19 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My windshield recently has a long crack. Does one need to re-calibrate the eye in the back of the windshield after replacing it?
Old 02-24-19, 11:03 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
My windshield recently has a long crack. Does one need to re-calibrate the eye in the back of the windshield after replacing it?
Not sure what you mean by "the eye in the back of the windshield". Calibration adjustments normally are germane to the traffic collision avoidance system. No calibration required of the rain sensor...if you see no bubbles between the sensor's pad and the windshield, you are gtg.

hth

Last edited by hankinid; 02-24-19 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: windshield crack..2017 LX 570