LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 08:14 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
No, it's not in the manual. We are not sheep. Look at some service intervals, like AHC fluid, transmission fluid (really lifetime???) etc.
Have you even read your manual? Do you have a manual?

This is from my manual on my 2018 LX, (my third LX) and it is pretty specific defining the octane requirements.
Old 06-12-18, 10:09 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use premium in my GS 350 only because I can't get Reg. in non- ethanol. And I can in premium.
Old 06-12-18, 12:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I wished I bought my oil tanker with me!!! LOL, just kidding.

The gas pump read out was from a previous customer and I took the picture before I gased up. I was almost empty. But I wished the LX570 gas tank was bigger!!

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
^^ Have to give that gas station credit for offering premium at the regular price. Meanwhile, were you filling up gas cans and throwing them in the back of the LX??!!
Old 06-12-18, 05:30 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Have you even read your manual? Do you have a manual?

This is from my manual on my 2018 LX, (my third LX) and it is pretty specific defining the octane requirements.
No, I haven't been answering as simple question as if it is written somewhere in the manual. I read the manual. I know what is there. I just answered that we will never know the thruth. The question is: Is there a software difference between 5.7 V8 in LX and Land Cruiser? We already know that there is no hardware difference but the engine still can use some different data while running (although probably not).
Old 06-12-18, 05:48 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

No, I haven't been answering as simple question as if it is written somewhere in the manual. I read the manual. I know what is there. I just answered that we will never know the thruth. The question is: Is there a software difference between 5.7 V8 in LX and Land Cruiser? We already know that there is no hardware difference but the engine still can use some different data while running (although probably not).
I agree, but you did say it wasn't in the manual. It is in the manual. Does it make a material difference? I'm sure everyone who is a member of this group has a different opinion and I am also sure Toyota will never help us to know the truth.
Old 06-13-18, 05:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Its hard to believe that the engineers at Toyota are wrong to list what they have listed in the LX manual. In my opinion, the Land Cruiser for the US market is not SAE tested for horsepower ratings, neither is the Tundra 5.7 or Sequoia. The ratings are listed at 381hp. There should be a HP variance due in part to the Land Cruiser full time power-train vs the Tundra part time 4WD powertrain that runs in 2WD. You see a HP variance in every awd vs 2wd set up with the Lexus sedan line up, but not between the Tundra 4WD/2WD and the Land Cruiser full time set up.

Back in 2006, Toyota moved to a SAE based system for testing their vehicles, before that all of the engines were rated without much of their drive-train and accessories included. My 4Runner 4.7 also stated regular fuel is minimum but better performance was implied with premium, the LX and LC at the time required premium fuel....both were rated at 235HP at the time. Then in 06, HP were all over the map with the 4.7 due to SAE testing requirements.

Something has to give IMO. My guess is the LX570 is in fact tuned to run on 91 as it achieves the full 383hp with 91, it says that in the legal disclaimer on Lexus.com for performance numbers.
Old 06-20-18, 04:45 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure if anyone mentioned this, but here is an article from Edmunds.com. They compiled a list of cars which are recommended to use premium vs cars that are REQUIRED to run premium. So far, the LX570 is not REQUIRED but is recommended.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...g-premium.html
The following 3 users liked this post by jgdynamics:
ClaytonW (06-20-18), Craigyyy (09-24-18), docboy (06-20-18)
Old 06-20-18, 05:01 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Interesting and points out the most important fact as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the engine management systems can compensate for lower octane fuel, BUT there will be a decrease in performance.

For years my brother has been ragging me about using premium in my LX's and I've told him that on the highway I really don't want to deal with the performance loss. If you are OK with trying to pass on a two lane road with the reduced performance then have at it. Myself, I'll continue to use premium and achieve the best performance I can with the stock engine.
Old 06-20-18, 05:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
not sure if anyone mentioned this, but here is an article from Edmunds.com. They compiled a list of cars which are recommended to use premium vs cars that are REQUIRED to run premium. So far, the LX570 is not REQUIRED but is recommended.
That seems to make sense.
Old 06-20-18, 05:48 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Interesting and points out the most important fact as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the engine management systems can compensate for lower octane fuel, BUT there will be a decrease in performance.

For years my brother has been ragging me about using premium in my LX's and I've told him that on the highway I really don't want to deal with the performance loss. If you are OK with trying to pass on a two lane road with the reduced performance then have at it. Myself, I'll continue to use premium and achieve the best performance I can with the stock engine.
Yes, I really worry about the reduced performance. There is a big difference - 2hp (381 on LC vs 383 hp on LX).
The following 2 users liked this post by ClaytonW:
Craigyyy (09-24-18), hankinid (06-20-18)
Old 06-20-18, 05:50 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

That's interesting although I worry that it's an error. Lexus clearly specifies that Premium is required. Maybe Edmunds have some different information or they simply read our forum :-)
Old 06-20-18, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

If Edmunds said to do something contrary to what Toyota/Lexus tells you, would you do it? Would you not change your oil at the required interval if Edmunds told you not to?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-21-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 07:29 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

That's interesting although I worry that it's an error. Lexus clearly specifies that Premium is required. Maybe Edmunds have some different information or they simply read our forum :-)
I'd want to take it from the horse's mouth...v. after someone else has "digested" it. Toyota may require it in the north American market for sales-ey reasons, but I'd ask for the 4th or 5th time what happens in other markets, especially the ME where "good" gas can disappear without warning. Not to mention...anecdotally, no one here, on mud, or Lexus owners club have reported engine damage with other than premium; also, no TSB's from Toyota reiterating their opinion on premium only.
Old 06-21-18, 04:03 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
but I'd ask for the 4th or 5th time what happens in other markets, especially the ME where "good" gas can disappear without warning.
LX 570 is rated for 367HP in Russia and 362HP in UAE.
Old 06-21-18, 04:49 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quadro
LX 570 is rated for 367HP in Russia and 362HP in UAE.
thanks.

Quick Reply: As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?