LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 03:21 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought the higher octane gasoline offers better performance (higher compression pressures due to higher temperatures at which the higher octane gasoline will ignite)
In other words, while the higher octane gasoline is about 10% higher in cost, it also offers about 10% increase in performance and gas mileage. So there - we're all breaking even. As for me, I go by the manufacturer's recommendations. I traded in y last LX 570 with 160,000 miles for a new LX and the old one had zero problems and ran like a clock. Maybe i'm over paying, but servicing the car at my Lexus dealer and following manufacturer's recommendations allowed my to drive my old LX for 160,000 trouble free miles.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (06-22-18)
Old 06-22-18, 04:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashron
I thought the higher octane gasoline offers better performance (higher compression pressures due to higher temperatures at which the higher octane gasoline will ignite)
In other words, while the higher octane gasoline is about 10% higher in cost, it also offers about 10% increase in performance and gas mileage. So there - we're all breaking even. As for me, I go by the manufacturer's recommendations. I traded in y last LX 570 with 160,000 miles for a new LX and the old one had zero problems and ran like a clock. Maybe i'm over paying, but servicing the car at my Lexus dealer and following manufacturer's recommendations allowed my to drive my old LX for 160,000 trouble free miles.
Ashron, are you saying you're cutting 0-60 times by 10%? That would need to be a 10% increase in torque. I doubt you'd get that with premium v. regular.

As to Lexus dealers for service, that certainly varies by area. Local Lexus dealer told me to wait on AHC fluid flush and change until the fluid was very dark brown. I end up doing it myself every 30K, and it never gets that dark. I use an indy shop in Boise that specializes in Lexus, Toyota, and Scion. I'm happy they also have a couple of dyed in the wool cruiser-heads there.

Great service technicians plateau sooner or later in a dealership setting. You'll see people like this either starting their own shops, or going to work for one. Lexus dealers' free coffee and donuts and a loaner are definitely not nearly enough perks to make up for inferior service, especially since my indy shop is just a mile away. Wife is driving an LX with 190K...like yours, zero problem and running like a clock. With Land Cruisers and LX's, that's not surprising.

Steve
Old 06-22-18, 05:28 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I find the UAE rating very interesting. Here, there is only a 2 HP difference (according to Toyota) between 87 and 91/93 octane, 381 vs 383.
Old 06-24-18, 01:49 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro

LX 570 is rated for 367HP in Russia and 362HP in UAE.
what fuel octane rating does Lexus recommend in Russia and UAE versus octane rating they recommend for the Land Cruiser in Russia and UAE that will give us real insight
Old 06-24-18, 02:03 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
what fuel octane rating does Lexus recommend in Russia and UAE versus octane rating they recommend for the Land Cruiser in Russia and UAE that will give us real insight
The insight is the manual calls for premium, easiest decision ever.
REDHORSE (06-25-18)
Old 06-24-18, 02:04 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

look that up the lowest octane rating sold in Russia and UAE is 91 they also have 95 and 98 octane so 91 might be the best for our engines and if I drove a Land Cruiser I might want to go to 91
Old 06-24-18, 02:07 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Russia: 91 according Russian octane rating which is about 88 US octane. There is no 5.7 V8 Land Cruiser sold in Russia (just diesel and 4.6). The quality of fuel in Russia is generally worse comparing to other countries so I suppose that these engines use completely different software settings.
Old 06-24-18, 02:11 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
Russia: 91 according Russian octane rating which is about 88 US octane. There is no 5.7 V8 Land Cruiser sold in Russia (just diesel and 4.6). The quality of fuel in Russia is generally worse comparing to other countries so I suppose that these engines use completely different software settings.
please help me understand why Russian 91 octane rated fuel is equal to United States 88 rated octane fuel I thought octane rating was octane rating no matter what country you’re from
Old 06-24-18, 03:01 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

please help me understand why Russian 91 octane rated fuel is equal to United States 88 rated octane fuel I thought octane rating was octane rating no matter what country you’re from
For the formula between US and Russian rating, see for example here:
https://www.ogj.com/articles/print/v...ne-grades.html

United states use AKI rating. Most other countries use RON.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old 06-24-18, 05:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

For the formula between US and Russian rating, see for example here:
https://www.ogj.com/articles/print/v...ne-grades.html

United states use AKI rating. Most other countries use RON.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
That works out to 91.2 for Lexus in USA. Mobil/Exon in Florida Premium is 91 octane. Shell is 93
Old 06-24-18, 11:04 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

One interesting fact: I've just seen a very bad test of LX570 by Alex on Autos. He did plenty of other Lexus reviews in last few weeks. It looks that he has good relationship with Lexus. If you want, we can discuss how bad the review really is in a separate thread, but now please concentrate what he says at time 19:30 of the video:
He says: "Of course, Lexus tells us that this will operates safely and efectively on regular unleaded which is logical of course. It's likely just gonna reduce the power up to about the same as we see in the Toyota."
Quite interesting, if this is really an answer from Lexus.
Craigyyy (09-24-18)
Old 06-27-18, 10:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

One interesting fact: I've just seen a very bad test of LX570 by Alex on Autos. He did plenty of other Lexus reviews in last few weeks. It looks that he has good relationship with Lexus. If you want, we can discuss how bad the review really is in a separate thread, but now please concentrate what he says at time 19:30 of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbLHNlTqU_o
He says: "Of course, Lexus tells us that this will operates safely and efectively on regular unleaded which is logical of course. It's likely just gonna reduce the power up to about the same as we see in the Toyota."
Quite interesting, if this is really an answer from Lexus.
His comments are nonsense with out proof.
Old 06-28-18, 12:12 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Local mobile station has premium for 304 a gallon all the others are like 327 a Gail don’t understand the differences by except greed
Old 06-28-18, 12:59 PM
jlo0109
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly did not bother even reading through the thread but after reading the title, I felt compelled enough to write this...

For those that are thinking of "downsizing" because of the increasing cost of gasoline. The difference you're literally talking about is 0.04c - 0.20c of variance at the most per gallon(some states might have a bigger spread but that's fairly average I believe), a tank capacity is on average 13-18 tanks. When you convert the difference, you're literally talking about $0.70 - $3.60 of difference. Let's say a person fills up about once a week, that will be 52 fillups throughout the year. For a whole year, your "increase cost" is $36.40 to $187.20. I simply don't understand how this cost will fathom with the idea of switching from a car that takes premium gas to something that takes regular gas. If this number doesn't change your mind about the whole illusion of "gas is too expensive", let me kindly remind you of what you might've bought during last year's Black Friday... there's your gas money.
REDHORSE (06-28-18)
Old 06-28-18, 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jlo0109
I honestly did not bother even reading through the thread but after reading the title, I felt compelled enough to write this...

For those that are thinking of "downsizing" because of the increasing cost of gasoline. The difference you're literally talking about is 0.04c - 0.20c of variance at the most per gallon(some states might have a bigger spread but that's fairly average I believe), a tank capacity is on average 13-18 tanks. When you convert the difference, you're literally talking about $0.70 - $3.60 of difference. Let's say a person fills up about once a week, that will be 52 fillups throughout the year. For a whole year, your "increase cost" is $36.40 to $187.20. I simply don't understand how this cost will fathom with the idea of switching from a car that takes premium gas to something that takes regular gas. If this number doesn't change your mind about the whole illusion of "gas is too expensive", let me kindly remind you of what you might've bought during last year's Black Friday... there's your gas money.
For that little money. Why would one want to risk messing up their nice LX? Sounds like a poor idea to use regular when the manual and fuel doors sates premium.

Quick Reply: As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?