LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 03:37 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
It's not so much about money. Maybe many users feel bad that they pay more just because Lexus decided to require premium in LX 570 for marketing purposes. Based on all available data (including ih8mud forum), 5.7 V8 in LX is absolutely identical engine to 5.7 V8 in Land Cruiser (which does not require premium fuel).
Marketing Purpose? Same engine for displacement but are you sure the tuning specs. are same between two engnes. My Mercedes ML 4.6 liter Biturbo V8 owner's manual says if engine problem occurs for not using premium gas warranty is void. I just fill up what manual specifies. Cost? who cares? Riding bicycle does not have any fuel cost, LOL! When you fill up with lower grade fuel don't you feel how the car drives?
If you don't , good for you.
Old 07-12-18, 08:59 AM
Gordj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Learned my lesson.

Last edited by Gordj; 07-13-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 04:59 PM
ndmiller
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordj
It is a concept of retail sales called “perceived value” that is demonstrated in the story of Banana Republic. If the price of something is too low the consumer will consider the product as being of lesser appeal. There is a 570 engine in the Sequoia, the Tundra, the Landcruiser and the Luxury branded LX. It wouldn’t do for the LX to have the same engine as those lowly, working class vehicles so the LX gets 2 more horses and needs to sip premium gas from a Champaign flute. IMO.

Been in retail over 20 years, and that's not what "Perceived Value" is at all, you made it up. Perceived value is what the customer will perceive the value for the item (and potentially pay for it compared to other products). No luxury retailler would never compare a portion of a garment or a whole garment to a non luxury retailers garment serving a different customer. You think Grey Goose is looking a Popov or Vladamir plastic bottle vodka for pricing and product ideas?

Toyota wants Toyota customers to be loyal and eventually purchase up brand (i.e. Lexus) by creating a higher perceived value in the RX350 (very nice) versus the Highlander (nice but boring POS). The Highlander and RX350 are designed and manufactured to meet the needs of two different customers and engine isn't why someone buys up brand from Lexus unless it is the car (i.e. V10). Your last sentence is complete nonsense farsical idea you made up in your opinion if you were in charge of Toyota what you would do. That is not the way branding and Luxury branding works at all, if it did Lexus would have gone away along time ago, because when a brand doesn't deliver what the customer expects the brand dies or becomes non-relevant (i.e. Saturn, Sears/Craftsman, Circuit City, PanAm, Tower Record, Polaroid, Ritz Camera, Borders, Sharper Image and soon to come Fiat in the US again).
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 06:04 AM
Gordj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

. .

Last edited by Gordj; 07-13-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 10:44 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Farsical? I stand corrected.
far·ci·cal
ˈfärsək(ə)l/
adjective
  1. of or resembling a farce, especially because of absurd or ridiculous aspects.
    "a farcical tangle of events".
Old 07-13-18, 11:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have never seen such a sad bunch of lame and loser owners of the LX model. Some of you are insulting each other at the simple discussion of what fuel you put in your LX. Are you all overcompensating for something? The way some of you are responding is not very mature nor very macho.

That said, the Land Cruiser uses 95% Japanese parts and 5% US domestic. The LX570 is 100% sourced from parts made in Japan. The 5.7 in the LX is clearly not from the same source as the Sequoia or Tundra. It makes no logical sense for Lexus to have a warning in the manual that states “premium use of fuel required or engine damage can occur”. It only makes sense to follow what a manual says for a vehicle.
Old 07-13-18, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It is a concept of retail sales called “perceived value” that is demonstrated in the story of Banana Republic. If the price of something is too low the consumer will consider the product as being of lesser appeal. There is a 570 engine in the Sequoia, the Tundra, the Landcruiser and the Luxury branded LX. It wouldn’t do for the LX to have the same engine as those lowly, working class vehicles so the LX gets 2 more horses and needs to sip premium gas from a Champaign flute. IMO.
Those lowly working class vehicles can all out haul, tow, and accelerate the LX570. .
Old 07-13-18, 03:04 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have never seen such a sad bunch of lame and loser owners of the LX model. Some of you are insulting each other at the simple discussion of what fuel you put in your LX. Are you all overcompensating for something? The way some of you are responding is not very mature nor very macho.

That said, the Land Cruiser uses 95% Japanese parts and 5% US domestic. The LX570 is 100% sourced from parts made in Japan. The 5.7 in the LX is clearly not from the same source as the Sequoia or Tundra. It makes no logical sense for Lexus to have a warning in the manual that states “premium use of fuel required or engine damage can occur”. It only makes sense to follow what a manual says for a vehicle.

Both the Land Cruiser and the LX are produced at Toyota Auto Body in Toyota City...that's at least what the label on our Land Cruiser indicates. Both are also produced with 100% Japanese content. In the case of the Land Cruiser, a phone call to Toyota in southern California verified 100% Japanese content on the truck. So, if you've got a good source for the "Land Cruiser uses 95% Japanese parts and 5% US domestic" statement, I've got $50 ready to go to your charity of choice. I'd expect the same in return. A phone call to Toyota in southern California verified 100% Japanese part usage in the Land Cruiser.

You are correct in noting that LX and Land Cruiser engines are made in Japan, and Sequoia and Tundra in the United States.

The Land Cruiser is dyno'd with regular gas, the LX with premium. Hence, around a 1 to 2% difference in HP and torque numbers.

As to the sexist comments in your first paragraph...note that sometimes and generally, men can get into extreme arguments, wait an hour or day, and join up as if nothing happened. Your comments about "over-compensating" and "macho" are uncalled for and will be reported if they continue. I've met no one here that is, as you put it, "lame or loser".

BTW, what year LX do you drive?

Last edited by hankinid; 07-13-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 03:31 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The most amusing thread on any of the several car forums I follow. Like a bunch of Liberals arguing. All emotion and few if any facts.
Old 07-13-18, 03:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ashron
I thought the higher octane gasoline offers better performance (higher compression pressures due to higher temperatures at which the higher octane gasoline will ignite)
In other words, while the higher octane gasoline is about 10% higher in cost, it also offers about 10% increase in performance and gas mileage. So there - we're all breaking even. As for me, I go by the manufacturer's recommendations. I traded in y last LX 570 with 160,000 miles for a new LX and the old one had zero problems and ran like a clock. Maybe i'm over paying, but servicing the car at my Lexus dealer and following manufacturer's recommendations allowed my to drive my old LX for 160,000 trouble free miles.
Most LX owner on this forum are probably not making a living using LX as a work truck hauling or carrying heavy load. When engine is working hard concern for ping is real with regular gas.(ECU can't retard timing indefinitely)
Any how if one wishes to keep the car and want it run in tip top shape I'd think premium gas is better choice than regular gas to be on the safe side. Cleaner engine and no worrying about ping.( Some drivers may not even know when the engine is pinging)

The warning in the manual makes sense.Similar warnings are in the MB owner's manual for V8 engines. It even goes further if engine damage occurred using regular gas warranty is void. ECU may have a black box where engine running condition is logged, stored in the memory like airplane black box. If it was running with timing retarded all the time.. that is not good.

Another issue is when engine is working hard with heavy load smaller engine like 4.6 V8 would have to run at higher rpm compared to 5.7 V8 which will result in better MPG.
This may not be a good analogy probably. Doctor prescribe a medicine like 2 pills a day. To save money patient decided to take only one pill a day. In this case the one pill is wasted hardly doing anything. That is why there is prescription guide per body weight and age, etc.

Last edited by Htony; 07-13-18 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hankinid
Both the Land Cruiser and the LX are produced at Toyota Auto Body in Toyota City...that's at least what the label on our Land Cruiser indicates. Both are also produced with 100% Japanese content. In the case of the Land Cruiser, a phone call to Toyota in southern California verified 100% Japanese content on the truck. So, if you've got a good source for the "Land Cruiser uses 95% Japanese parts and 5% US domestic" statement, I've got $50 ready to go to your charity of choice. I'd expect the same in return. A phone call to Toyota in southern California verified 100% Japanese part usage in the Land Cruiser.

You are correct in noting that LX and Land Cruiser engines are made in Japan, and Sequoia and Tundra in the United States.

The Land Cruiser is dyno'd with regular gas, the LX with premium. Hence, around a 1 to 2% difference in HP and torque numbers.

BTW, what year LX do you drive?
Yes I am correct about where the engines are built. The first few 5.7 motors in the 07 Tundra where from Japan.

As for the parts content. Take a look at the window sticker of a new Land Cruiser in the United States. (Not sure where you are located?). I was astonished to noticed that it was 5% US sourced. I do have a website link I can send you later but I am on my way to a concert right now.

We we have a LX450. Used to have a 470. Our manual says regular for the LX. My 4Runner states regular required but for optimal performance use premium. When we had a 470, it was premium fuel only.

What LX do you drive? Or do you have a Land Cruiser?
Old 07-13-18, 04:02 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
The most amusing thread on any of the several car forums I follow. Like a bunch of Liberals arguing. All emotion and few if any facts.
Ignorance does not have color. We're in 21st century in transition to alternative energy vehicles. I often wonder some people skipped chemistry, physics classes in school. One step further
thermo dynamics, fluid dynamics, electro-magnetism, etc,etc. Now car looks more electronic than mechanical..
Old 07-13-18, 04:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
[OT]...Liberals' main arguments revolve around who's gonna' get the money from taxes. Having lived in Texas for 15 years and the same in Idaho, it's refreshing to have a government that expects you to solve your own problems. [/OT]
Old 07-13-18, 04:08 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What LX do you drive? Or do you have a Land Cruiser?
It should be clear from my sig, but a '13 Land Cruiser.
Old 07-13-18, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hankinid
It should be clear from my sig, but a '13 Land Cruiser.
Sorry. But can’t see your sig on mobile.

Quick Reply: As gas prices rise, will you deviate from Premium?