New owner of 2015 LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 08:28 AM
jbourne4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner of 2015 LX

Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker to the forum and thought I would finally come out of the shadows. I've been a long-time owner of LC and LX vehicles. Four weeks ago, I updated from a 2000 LX 470 to a 2015 LX 570 with 21K miles. Loved my LX 470 but wanted updated electronics, amenities and a hands-free setup. As an avid outdoor enthusiast, I will be doing some light off-roading with this new vehicle but likely staying in near-stock configuration. I resisted the temptation to go with a lightly used 2016 RR due to concerns about reliability even though I preferred the styling and ride quality slightly over the LX.

My thoughts so far: overall, more enjoyable to own than my 470 based on updated features. The ride quality is more solid but also more truck-like. I can't decide whether I prefer the stiffer Sport mode with increased responsiveness but more body roll than Comfort mode. I have found myself switching often between the 2 modes depending on my mood. I don't plan to use the 3rd row and wish it were easier to remove. The navigation system is good but hands-free seldom discerns my commands the first time. Anyway, I'll probably always remain an LX or LC owner. Thanks for a great forum.

Last edited by jbourne4; 07-06-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 08:59 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice! congrats on your purchase.
Do you mind sharing how much you got it for?

Thanks,
The following users liked this post:
jbourne4 (07-06-18)
Old 07-06-18, 09:54 AM
jbourne4
Driver School Candidate

Sure, I got it for $56K (asking was 57,599). I've never bought a new vehicle and always paid in cash. Like many on this forum, I am fortunate to be able to afford basically anything I want but have never cared enough to be the first owner of a vehicle to pay for it.
jennifer18 (07-08-18)
Old 07-06-18, 11:23 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jbourne4
Sure, I got it for $56K (asking was 57,599). I've never bought a new vehicle and always paid in cash. Like many on this forum, I am fortunate to be able to afford basically anything I want but have never cared enough to be the first owner of a vehicle to pay for it.
nice find. I think 2013-15 are the best looking and the 6 speed trans is better in my opinion then the 8 speed.
jbourne4 (07-06-18)
Old 07-06-18, 12:52 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707

nice find. I think 2013-15 are the best looking and the 6 speed trans is better in my opinion then the 8 speed.
Would you mind elaborating on your opinion...I'd like to know why.
Old 07-06-18, 01:13 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

What options came with your LX? Do you have the ML stereo? Nice price for a low mileage unit. Congrats.
Old 07-06-18, 01:30 PM
jbourne4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mbarron37

What options came with your LX? Do you have the ML stereo? Nice price for a low mileage unit. Congrats.

Thanks. Yes, it was CPO and came with every option available for 2015. The ML stereo was a nice upgrade from the Nakamichi of my 2000 LX.

I've since had a clear bra placed for paint protection (package with partial hood for $1000). I got the OEM liners and am waiting on some Canvasback covers. I removed the tow hitch cover for towing. I am considering having the front side windows tinted.

Last edited by jbourne4; 07-06-18 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 02:43 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"I don't plan to use the 3rd row and wish it were easier to remove."
Really? it took about twenty minutes.
Old 07-06-18, 03:28 PM
jbourne4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gordj
"I don't plan to use the 3rd row and wish it were easier to remove."
Really? it took about twenty minutes.
I've read every thread on this and for most of low-average technical ability (like me) it will take an hour for both sides. But that's not really the issue. I'm not an electrician or mechanic and I don't want fuss with electronics or wires. I don't want to have to account for leaking that could potentially occur because of a modification not intended by the manufacturer.

That said, if someone did a quality Youtube demo of the process I might change my mind. Without such a video, I'm inclined to think it's not as straightforward and effortless as some say.

Last edited by jbourne4; 07-06-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-07-18, 06:21 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It really is very easy! No need to worry about electronics. The extent of that is unplugging 2 connectors. All you need to do is follow this thread below.

4 bolts on each side

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...g-removal.html

About 20 minutes, like Gordj said. Just save the fasteners and plastic covers in bags and the seats in a crate for if you need to put it back.

Someone on ih8mud came up with the idea of repurposing the 14mm screw holes as tie downs. Works great.

Besides the significant extra space, you've just removed about 115 pounds of dead weight.

Amazon Amazon
jbourne4 (07-07-18)
Old 07-07-18, 08:09 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

The ride quality is more solid but also more truck-like. I can't decide whether I prefer the stiffer Sport mode with increased responsiveness but more body roll than Comfort mode. I have found myself switching often between the 2 modes depending on my mood. I don't plan to use the 3rd row and wish it were easier to remove. The navigation system is good but hands-free seldom discerns my commands the first time. Anyway, I'll probably always remain an LX or LC owner. Thanks for a great forum.
You can transform the ride quality by picking up a set of 17 or 18" wheels. The RWs are available on craigslist, and 18s are cheap locally or on ebay. Bigger tires improve the ride, ability to go over obstacles, and have way more tread depth than the stock Dunlops.

Also, there is a big reduction in road noise from the larger tires. Even though they are LT tires with a higher load index than the stock P-metric Dunlop car tires, it rides like a Lexus sedan on Michelin Defender LTXs.

Last edited by Chocolate; 07-07-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-07-18, 08:32 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Here's some photos of the tie downs from tbisaacs.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rep...moval.1035490/
jbourne4 (07-07-18)
Old 07-07-18, 11:23 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

I've read every thread on this and for most of low-average technical ability (like me) it will take an hour for both sides. But that's not really the issue. I'm not an electrician or mechanic and I don't want fuss with electronics or wires. I don't want to have to account for leaking that could potentially occur because of a modification not intended by the manufacturer.

That said, if someone did a quality Youtube demo of the process I might change my mind. Without such a video, I'm inclined to think it's not as straightforward and effortless as some say.
Easier to talk yourself out of it instead of doing it...it's not rocket science and you'll like the increase in room in the back. You are not "fussing" with wires; instead, you're simply unplugging the wiring coming from the seat to the wiring running down the body. If you freaking about leaking, put a dab of silicone sealant on the bolt (one on each side) that screws in vertically, and a little bit on a piece of duct tape and slap that over the hole to the rear of the bolt you just mounted...I ended up with 2 plastic hole plugs from HD and the silicone sealant. I tested both sides when I finished with my pressure washer and found no leaks whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Chocolate
You can transform the ride quality by picking up a set of 17 or 18" wheels. The RWs are available on craigslist, and 18s are cheap locally or on ebay. Bigger tires improve the ride, ability to go over obstacles, and have way more tread depth than the stock Dunlops.

Also, there is a big reduction in road noise from the larger tires. Even though they are LT tires with a higher load index than the stock P-metric Dunlop car tires, it rides like a Lexus sedan on Michelin Defender LTXs.
QFT...one of the best improvements you can make. Replacement tires in 18" are less expensive than OEM, have a better load rating, and are far more comfortable both on and off road. A set of Tundra take-off 18's ran $100 at my local Toyota / Lexus dealer. 0-miles from a new Tundra, with lug nuts, TPMS senders, and hub caps.

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Here's some photos of the tie downs from tbisaacs.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rep...moval.1035490/
@Chocolate, as you can see from my post on that thread, I ordered a 6-pack and they work wonderfully.
Old 07-07-18, 11:47 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by rmason
Would you mind elaborating on your opinion...I'd like to know why.
Toyota drove several "pre-300 series" trucks around for a few years before they introduced the series to the world...that's what they do to find any issues ahead of time that may affect reliability...the notable exception is the 8-speed...released to the world by installing in new vehicles and making the owner the Guiana pig. Issues include fluid leakage and solenoid related shifting issues. The normal result was / is the dealer installing a new transmission at no cost and usually tossing in a 125K platinum warranty.

Early-on, Toyota issued a TSB on 8-speed shifting issues...300 series transmission TSB . That applied to the '16 model year, those issues were supposedly fixed on '17's and later trucks.

For more information, read Land Cruiser Transmission Needs Replaced...obviously EXACTLY the same transmission in North American market Land Cruisers and LX's.

From the link above..."let's not forget that cruisers in Australia are still getting 6-speeds. Because those guys are the ones who really can't afford to have a failure. US with our smooth roads and dealerships everywhere, and we think more gears are better, is the only reason we got a new tranny.

"The 8-speed didn't help fuel economy or power to the ground (diff ratios went from a 3.90 to a 3.08 but the top gear stayed the same, which is going to be hell with the smallest increase in tire size or reduced aerodynamics from a bumper or lift)."

The diff ratio change by itself would be enough for me to pass.

hth
Old 07-07-18, 03:58 PM
jbourne4
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=hankinid;10244315]Easier to talk yourself out of it instead of doing it...it's not rocket science and you'll like the increase in room in the back. You are not "fussing" with wires; instead, you're simply unplugging the wiring coming from the seat to the wiring running down the body. If you freaking about leaking, put a dab of silicone sealant on the bolt (one on each side) that screws in vertically, and a little bit on a piece of duct tape and slap that over the hole to the rear of the bolt you just mounted...I ended up with 2 plastic hole plugs from HD and the silicone sealant. I tested both sides when I finished with my pressure washer and found no leaks whatsoever.

Thanks for the tips. I will probably be doing this mod soon. I'm trying to find a waterproof cargo mat with the most complete coverage once the seats are out.

Quick Reply: New owner of 2015 LX