LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Lexus LX450d or Lexus LX570S

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 04:31 AM
SL%%
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LX450d or Lexus LX570S

Hello friends, just wanted to know your opinion. Just a brief background. We have a Lexus dealer here and they sell the LX570 in the standard form and its great. However, the market is so vast as well as am being offered the LX570S SuperSport and the LX450d SuperSport (see pictures)

The LX570 is a great all rounder but now that the LX450d is also available (grey market), the choice is now a bit of a dilemma. The platform is a Toyota Land Cruiser which is great and fantastic. The thing about the 450d is its pretty much a Land Cruiser VXTD in a more "glamorous" appearance if I may say. The prices are as follows:

Dealer LX570 (standard) with the 18" rims is USD $161,500
Grey Market LX570S (SuperSport - full option, looks like the pics attached) is USD $163,500
Grey Market LX450d (pictures attached) - USD $167,300
Toyota Land Cruiser VXTD KDSS - USD $115,400

Question is, with the prices so near with each other (Lexus wise), which would you opt? My take is that, in terms of operational cost, the LX450d is cheaper in terms of fuel savings as the 570 is kind of a gas drinker. Thing is, the 450d literally shares the same engine with the Land Cruiser VXTD which is a lot cheaper than the Lexus. Though its very rare to see LX450d SuperSport here as its imported.

Just your opinion, which would you get given the chance? Thanks friends

Old 08-19-18, 07:23 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Even if they sold the Toyota diesel here, I wouldn't buy it. Yes, it's more fuel efficient. But it will require more maintenance than a normally aspirated gas engine. Also, having directly compared a diesel and gas current 3 series, the gasoline version is much smoother. I expect if you drive them back to back you will have a similar experience.
Old 08-19-18, 08:07 AM
SL%%
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Even if they sold the Toyota diesel here, I wouldn't buy it. Yes, it's more fuel efficient. But it will require more maintenance than a normally aspirated gas engine. Also, having directly compared a diesel and gas current 3 series, the gasoline version is much smoother. I expect if you drive them back to back you will have a similar experience.
thanks for this and just curious, may you share your experience with the 3 series you have? both the diesel and gas?
Old 08-19-18, 11:00 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

If the diesel were sold in the North American market, I'd definitely select it.

Currently, we own a Dodge with Cummins which is normally used for hauling horses; as well as two diesel powered Kubota tractors. None seem to involve more maintenance than a gasoline motor...air and fuel filters and oil and transmission fluid changes.

What do you mean by "more maintenance" than a gasoline engine?

I prefer diesels for miles per gallon or gallons per hour economy v. gasoline engines, not to mention a relatively flat torque curve.

Last edited by hankinid; 08-19-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 11:07 AM
1Jannie
Driver School Candidate

Here's my experience. I have a LX570 and my friend has a LC200 450 and I have driven his car a few time on long trips. The cars are the same year models and my opinion is that the cars drives noticeable different because of different tires and with the biggest difference in the suspensions. In your case the only differences in the two vehicles is the power plants. Because I love the quiet gas v8 the small difference in consumption won't be a deal breaker for me. My opinion is to go with the 570, You will not be disappointed.
Old 08-19-18, 11:26 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Been on what the difference is an availability of gas and diesel in the country you live in if diesel is a lot cheaper and readily available and I liked driving the diesel engine I go diesel I’ve owned a Cummins diesel truck before myself and I loved it but in the Lexus LX got a great engine 5.7 L and I love that engine
Old 08-20-18, 01:46 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

By more maintenance I am referring to the twin turbochargers and diesel particulate filter. That's about it. The benefit of the diesel will be better fuel efficiency. The diesel will also be slower and noisier.

SL%%, I am referring to my experience working with BMW and being familiar with their entire lineup. This is directly comparing the diesel and gasoline four cylinders.

If you manage to drive one or both, a report or pictures would be interesting. We don't get to see these trim levels in the U.S.

Besides the lower revs (I would miss the 5900 RPM rev limiter), the LX 450d is slower than the LX570, about 2 seconds slower from 0-60 from this video (ignore the timer and count when he starts). Big difference in passing power.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-20-18 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 01:55 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Another LX450d video on youtube. It certainly has the distinctive diesel sound - and louder than the 570.

Old 08-20-18, 09:22 AM
SL%%
Rookie

Thanks for all the response, really appreciate all of those.

By more maintenance I am referring to the twin turbochargers and diesel particulate filter. That's about it. The benefit of the diesel will be better fuel efficiency. The diesel will also be slower and noisier.

SL%%, I am referring to my experience working with BMW and being familiar with their entire lineup. This is directly comparing the diesel and gasoline four cylinders.

If you manage to drive one or both, a report or pictures would be interesting. We don't get to see these trim levels in the U.S.

Besides the lower revs (I would miss the 5900 RPM rev limiter), the LX 450d is slower than the LX570, about 2 seconds slower from 0-60 from this video (ignore the timer and count when he starts). Big difference in passing power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23R3jwhi4Y

Chocolate, diesel engine is dominant on where I am and pretty much, Toyota reigns supreme here. I have the privilege of driving a LC200 diesel. I have yet to drive the 5.7 liter gas engine as our Lexus dealer doesn’t have any demo units but was able to do a test drive if the LC500 😂😂😂.

Maybe if someone brave enough here on where I am is willing to lend me their LX570 for a test drive, then, I’ll be able to make up a decision. 👍👍👍