LX570 Rear Liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 02:04 PM
TonyLx570
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LX570 Rear Liftgate

Hello All,

I have a 2017 LX570 and still cant figure out why i can use the remote to open the Rear Liftgate but cant do it from the back with a push of the button. I will have to manually lift the hatch open. For a Lexus i would think it had push button auto open. I watch the car wash guys too when they hit the button expecting it to auto open and getting confused.
maybe im missing something. Is there a setting i have to change to get it to open when i hit the liftgate button outside button above the licence plate?
Old 01-03-19, 07:44 PM
(f)-LEX-ible
Rookie

Can you open it with the button from the inside? Make sure the “Power Door” button is not off.
Old 01-03-19, 09:34 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyLx570
Hello All,

I have a 2017 LX570 and still cant figure out why i can use the remote to open the Rear Liftgate but cant do it from the back with a push of the button. I will have to manually lift the hatch open. For a Lexus i would think it had push button auto open. I watch the car wash guys too when they hit the button expecting it to auto open and getting confused.
maybe im missing something. Is there a setting i have to change to get it to open when i hit the liftgate button outside button above the licence plate?
Most likely that your "Power Lift Gate" button under right side of steering wheel is set to "off" position. Witch will disable the opening from remote key fob and the push button on the lower part of dash.
The following users liked this post:
brettly (02-02-20)
Old 01-04-19, 06:18 AM
zink
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If I'm reading the original post correctly, I think his remote operates the automated liftgate but pushing the release button on the liftgate itself does not automatically open the gate, only allows for manual lift. This is how my '17 works and it's absolutely stupid! The remote and interior release operate the automatic liftgate only. If there is a setting that can be changed I would love to be educated but the owner's manual seems to correspond to what I've just described with no option for changing operation.
Old 01-04-19, 10:36 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zink
If I'm reading the original post correctly, I think his remote operates the automated liftgate but pushing the release button on the liftgate itself does not automatically open the gate, only allows for manual lift. This is how my '17 works and it's absolutely stupid! The remote and interior release operate the automatic liftgate only. If there is a setting that can be changed I would love to be educated but the owner's manual seems to correspond to what I've just described with no option for changing operation.
Last evening I spent a couple of hours with my LX, the manual, and on-line looking into this. Before yesterday, I had never noticed those exterior tailgate buttons! And I have had LXs since 2007. My 2013 rear buttons operate exactly as the OP's. Powered opening is only avalable via either the button on the dashboard, or by using the button on the keyfob. Powered closing is available from the dash button, the keyfob, or the lighted button under the lip of the rear hatch. The rubberized outside buttons under the rear window either lock the vehicle or unlock and allow you to physically lift open the upper part of the rear door.

All the on-line posts I found about the LX rear door stated the same operations as I found in my manual and in person on my LX. There is a dealer only setting listed that changes the rubberized button settings, but does not appear to include a setting that powers open the rear door from the outside button.

My guess is that the 3rd generation LXs will not be upgraded to more modern door control functions like the newer RXs have. After all, this iteration of the LX has been around quite a while. The 4th generation will catch up with the other newer Lexus vehicles.

Old 01-04-19, 10:48 AM
TonyLx570
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zink
I guess they designed it that way.
I asked my local dealer and they had to call another dealer with no luck.
Old 01-06-19, 08:44 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Changed for 2018

Originally Posted by Reggie1

My guess is that the 3rd generation LXs will not be upgraded to more modern door control functions like the newer RXs have. After all, this iteration of the LX has been around quite a while. The 4th generation will catch up with the other newer Lexus vehicles.
Nope, my 2018 lift gate raises automatically from the rear latch, Lexus finally upgraded that function.

Old 01-06-19, 12:51 PM
nayak1
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeap, same thing here on my 2018 automatically opens up with just touch your hand.
Old 01-06-19, 02:23 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My 15 LX also did. Not sure what you guy's problem is.
Old 01-28-19, 02:32 PM
BigTex570
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
My 15 LX also did. Not sure what you guy's problem is.
Might be able to answer that, oddly enough. Just bought a 2011, 110k miles on it.

My rear hatch seemed entirely manual when using the outside button. However, I also had a problem in that the hatch never seemed to get to full height. I decided that the struts must be weak, and I replaced them with generic Amazon struts.

The hatch now goes all the way up, no more bumping my head,so success. AND, surprise, surprise, when I open the hatch with the rear button and give it just the slightest nudge, it goes all the way up. Happy camper here.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigTex570:
REDHORSE (01-28-19), ThatLexusM (01-16-22)
Old 01-28-19, 02:57 PM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello All,

This has been on my mind for a long time. This is a dealer set option and is default to 'off' when the vehicle comes off the lot. I've been told that it can be turned on from a dealer by hooking up one of their nifty machines. I intend to get it done this week. More to come...
Old 01-28-19, 07:57 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmalik
This has been on my mind for a long time. This is a dealer set option and is default to 'off' when the vehicle comes off the lot. I've been told that it can be turned on from a dealer by hooking up one of their nifty machines. I intend to get it done this week. More to come...
What year is yours? Mine works exactly as it's stated in the manual. The buttons at the rear hatch only unlock and open the door for you to open it manually. It only works on auto from the inside button and the key fob. I know that on the '18 and up 570s, the rear hatch buttons do open it up automatically. So they did update it.
Old 01-29-19, 07:46 AM
TonyLx570
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmalik
Yes! please update us on what the dealer is able to do. My local dealer seems unwilling to help or clueless about this.
Old 01-29-19, 08:31 AM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes! please update us on what the dealer is able to do. My local dealer seems unwilling to help or clueless about this.
Sure thing... I was planning to go today but then weather is getting bad here. So hang tight, I'll have more info today or tomorrow.
Old 01-29-19, 08:32 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '15 LX works just like the OP. I've spent a long time looking through settings and deemed it either impossible, or only configurable at the dealer. I have also double checked to make sure the lift gate button was not turned off. I hope someone finds a way to change this.

Quick Reply: LX570 Rear Liftgate