LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Is the Lexus LX570 Snow Capable With Stock 20 inch Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 06:20 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Is the Lexus LX570 Snow Capable With Stock 20 inch Tires?

Hello Ladies and Gents,

We live in a city where if it snows, it's a miracle. So we're planning to go to Lake Tahoe and I do have a Sequoia and is also a 4x4 capable. However, I had to engage the 4x4 on this one since I started slipping on an approx. 2 inch snow on the side road.
My concern is, I just don't want to slip and slide on the road with the LX. The Baby is on Board and the Boss Lady. So safety comes first. Hence, asking these questions.

But I'm wondering if our LX570's "stock tires" can tackle the snow or the "ice" on the road.

Some might find my question a bit odd.

Just to give you a bit of a background, I have driven on a snow with our previous RX350, a 2-wheel drive, and had to use chains. But I have never driven the LX570 and more importantly\y, I have far less experience driving on the snow.

Any input would be appreciated!

Shot was taken yesterday, on my way back to the Bay Area from Los Angeles.

Thanks!

SL

Old 02-23-19, 06:59 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Like most males, I consider myself a great snow driver, and I have strong opinons.

I believe that snow performance, provided you have a decent 4 wheel drive vehicle and the appropriate driving skill and experience, is largely a factor of the tires. Below is a link to a TireRack reviews of the 20" Michelin Latitude tires which I'm assuming you likely have on your LX. They rate about the middle of the pack of the tires fitting the LX wheels for performance in snow.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=#testResults

For comparison, here is the Bridgestone Blizzak DM tire, which fits the stock LX wheels. They are about the same price as the Michelin Latitudes but with significantly better snow performance. If I were in your situation, with more than one decent 4WD vehicle, I'd consider having one of them re-shod with decent winter tires like these. $1,000 is a small price to pay to increase the safety factor when you're transporting wife and child in snowy conditions. If you have a newer LX with 21 inch wheels, you unfortunately are out of luck on the Blizzaks, but there appears to be a Dunlop winter tire that will fit, but they only have one review so far.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V2&partnum=85TR0DMV2XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2015&autoModel=LX%20570&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Maxx+SJ8&partnum=75R1SJ8XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2018&autoModel=LX%20570&autoModClar=

Last edited by Reggie1; 02-23-19 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:07 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Hey Reggie...

We just decided to go today just so my son can experience his first snow, it is a 3 hour drive away from us.

Anyway, again, we live in San Francisco, as much as I want to have some snow tires, I just don't like the hassle of buying a set just for a day trip.
And yes we have the Michelin Latitude that came as stock tires and I agree with you when it comes to having an experience driving in the snow. I can drive as long as the LX570 helps me out or is capable.

Fair rating is not bad per review, anything below that, I will not take the LX.

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Like most males, I consider myself a great snow driver, and I have strong opinons.

I believe that snow performance, provided you have a decent 4 wheel drive vehicle and the appropriate driving skill and experience, is largely a factor of the tires. Below is a link to a TireRack reviews of the20" Michelin Latitude tires which I'm assuming you likely have on your LX. They rate about the middle of the pack of the tires fitting the LX wheels for performance in snow.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP&partnum=85VR0LTHPV3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2015&autoModel=LX%20570&autoModClar=#testResults

For comparison, here is the Bridgestone Blizzak DM tire, which fits the stock LX wheels. They are about the same price as the Michelin Latitudes but with significantly better snow performance. If I were in your situation, with more than one decent 4WD vehicle, I'd consider having one of them re-shod with decent winter tires like these. $1,000 is a small price to pay to increase the safety factor when you're transporting wife and child in snowy conditions.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V2&partnum=85TR0DMV2XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2015&autoModel=LX%20570&autoModClar=

Last edited by SaintLexus; 02-23-19 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 08:29 AM
nayak1
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey SL,
Just last Friday I was heading to Reno in a complete white out blizzard condition on I80.
My LX with stock 21 with Dunlop handled absolutely amazing & solid. No slip or slide.
Just watch out those drivers who don't know how to drive on snowy roads.
The following users liked this post:
islandbeef (11-07-22)
Old 02-23-19, 09:09 AM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

I'll be extra cautious. But great to hear your experience.

Originally Posted by nayak1
Hey SL,
Just last Friday I was heading to Reno in a complete white out blizzard condition on I80.
My LX with stock 21 with Dunlop handled absolutely amazing & solid. No slip or slide.
Just watch out those drivers who don't know how to drive on snowy roads.
Old 02-23-19, 11:09 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Lived in Salt Lake City where it snowed often, and made several trips East on I-80 in winter conditions where they closed the interstate behind me. Always ran stock tires on my LX's. Prior to he LX, we had a BMW X-5, and it required snow tires for me to feel safe.
Old 02-23-19, 11:27 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

We made it without a problem All time 4 wheel drive is a plus and the stock 20 inch tires held up very well, whether on at least 3 inch deep snow or a packed snow on the road. Anyhow, we were in the area for less than an hour, we spent our day driving more than anything else. But we all enjoyed it!

Thanks for all the input!
Old 02-24-19, 11:44 AM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I now live in El Dorado Hills which is off of highway 50 west of Placerville and East of Sacramento - 90 minutes from South Lake Tahoe. Anyhow... last week Caltrans was not letting any vehicle over highway 50 without chains 4 miles east of Placerville - even 4 wheel drive vehicles had to use chains unless they had ALL 4 snow tires. Of course it was an unusually snowy week in an unusually snowy year but to me it always makes sense to carry chains just in case. FWIW the LX570 owners manual states that there should be NO CHAINS put on vehicles with 21" wheels.
Yet another good reason to drop down to the 20's or even 18" wheels.
Old 02-24-19, 02:22 PM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No chains needed this day.
Old 02-24-19, 02:51 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I live at Lake Tahoe area. This week should be difficult, most roads will be marked as "chains or 4x4 with winter tires required", some roads will be closed.
Many people will be coming to ski just because it's snowing. They think that it will be great. But... Smaller ski resorts will be closed some days during the week and most other will have just a limited number of lifts open, they will not be able to dig out all their lifts out of snow. Some parts will be closed due to avalanche risks. Parking lots will be full, slopes will be crowded.
All these people plan to enjoy the fresh powder. The problem is that more than 90% of them cannot ski powder and would enjoy it here much more in a beautiful sunny weather on perfectly groomed slopes.

Back to your question. Driving at these conditions on all-season/all-terrain tires is definitely not safe. Although LX is a very capable 4x4 vehicle, good winter tires are much more important at snow than how good your 4x4 system is. Good 4x4 with some well-designed electronics traction system can help you to get on the hill but you still need to get down, you need to turn, and you need to brake safely. And any 4x4 cannot help you much with these.
Your tires are probably marked M+S so technically, you have winter tires and you can be allowed to drive without chains (some European countries like Germany already changed this and now require real winter tires).

O.K., usually, an experienced driver on some better all-season tires can make it safely here at Lake Tahoe. It is doable and I understand that you will not swap tires just for a few days here. Most other drivers will also have 4x4 without real winter tires or just 2WD with chains. And they will drive very slowly so you don't have to worry too much (of course that's why locals hate them, we could drive much faster...). Just don't forget to downshift while going downhill, do not use brakes too much. Don't worry to use even 2nd gear on some steep roads, you would feel safer. Don't forget to carry chains. Although 4x4 are usually allowed without chains on most roads, they are still legally required to carry chains in California (not in Nevada).
Old 02-25-19, 11:33 AM
twinturbov
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm a Blizzak kinda guy

Four 20" Tundra Wheels with Blizzaks. Here in Chicago we're not bushwacking, but the streets can get pretty slick. Will the OEM tires get us going, yup. But the Blizzaks are an investment based on stopping the LX. They also make the truck mean as heck especially on highways that haven't yet been plowed. This bad boy will cut through the snow to create its own lane.

We also have Blizzaks on our RWD LS460 Sport. They get that beast going and stopping no problem. Again an investment.

Keep the occupants safe (3 kids) and serious accident avoidance abilities. Plus, when you buy from the Tire Rack you get their benefits, tire hazard coverage included.

Since running Goodyear Eagle M&S on my IROC and LX 5.0 to Nokias on my Volvos to Blizzaks for the last 15 years, snow tires for the winter are a great investment.

The biggest challenge can be having the space to store them. I have a 2006 M45 Sportmin addition to the LX and LS. That's 12 extra tires and wheels and tires no matter what the season is.

The following users liked this post:
Reggie1 (02-25-19)
Old 02-26-19, 07:23 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I run 20" BFG K02 all terrains on my 2011 LX. It does fine in the snow until it gets down in to the single digit temps or lower, then the rubber gets hard and traction is lost. Not a problem in California as it never gets that cold there. The full time 4wd in the LX/Land Cruiser platform is really second to none and handles snow with no issue.
Old 03-09-19, 01:13 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

The LX is more than capable the tires are Not. For the little you will be in the snow buy chains as you will burn your snow tires off fast in the stop and go traffic of the snowless city..

I drive in snow all the time here in Canada...blizzaks AND chains for me.
Old 03-10-19, 04:09 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLexus
Hello Ladies and Gents,

We live in a city where if it snows, it's a miracle. So we're planning to go to Lake Tahoe and I do have a Sequoia and is also a 4x4 capable. However, I had to engage the 4x4 on this one since I started slipping on an approx. 2 inch snow on the side road.
My concern is, I just don't want to slip and slide on the road with the LX. The Baby is on Board and the Boss Lady. So safety comes first. Hence, asking these questions.

But I'm wondering if our LX570's "stock tires" can tackle the snow or the "ice" on the road.

Some might find my question a bit odd.

Just to give you a bit of a background, I have driven on a snow with our previous RX350, a 2-wheel drive, and had to use chains. But I have never driven the LX570 and more importantly\y, I have far less experience driving on the snow.

Any input would be appreciated!

Shot was taken yesterday, on my way back to the Bay Area from Los Angeles.

Thanks!

SL

All roads leading to Tahoe (I80, 89, 267, 431) have mandatory chain / snow tire requirements

If they are in effect.. You will not be allowed to travel without snow tires or chains on your LX.

Really!
Old 03-10-19, 12:24 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
All roads leading to Tahoe (I80, 89, 267, 431) have mandatory chain / snow tire requirements

If they are in effect.. You will not be allowed to travel without snow tires or chains on your LX.

Really!
Don't worry, they won't check your tires. They just care if you have 4x4. And most SUV tires are marked M+S, so technically, they are snow tires.
I live at Lake Tahoe, I passed through many chain controls. Of course, real snow tires are much better. I use 18" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 and they are great. But usually the conditions are not so bad and if you are careful, you can drive here with all-season tires.

Quick Reply: Is the Lexus LX570 Snow Capable With Stock 20 inch Tires?