LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Upgrading from GX to LX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 09:41 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Upgrading from GX to LX?

I currently have a GX470 (which has been wonderful) but it has always been a bit small (I am 6'3" 225lbs). How much room and seat comfort do I pick up if I were to jump to the LX570? The other option may be to move to an LS for daily comfort and buy a beater truck for offroad/hunting duties. Thoughts?
Old 04-21-19, 03:40 PM
Chc4au
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had 3 GX and about 2 years moved to a 2017 Lx and love it. Not sure you gain head room leg room etc but the ride is smoother and much more comfortable especially long trips.
Old 04-21-19, 07:50 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

I'vw owned both. Without looking at the interior dimensions to compare objectively, the LX just subjectively feels larger and more comfortable inside. As far as off-road, the LX feels more capable than the GX. I now use my LX primarily as a farm truck, and it hauls lumber, feed sacks, hay bales, and manure. As a trailer hauler the LX is hands-down better than the GX. The LX will haul lumber up to 10 feet long with the back end closed. And the LX has a lift hatch to haul even longer things when nedded, plus it's easy to disble the annoying rear door open warning beeper.

As an added benefit, the LX has a proper tailgate to use as a work surface for things like sawing fence boards. The GX has a rear door that reminds me of a hearse. I think the GX proportions look skinny and overly tall, like a proper SUV with its sides squeezed in a giant vise. That's what it felt like driving it as well.

The LX will also be a capable hunt truck, and save you having to insure both a GX and a hunt truck, I've hauled many a foxhound off-road in the back of my LX's, and have accumulated the usual scratches and stains and scrapes. If you/re obsessed with driving a pristine vehicle , then go the SC plus beater hunt truck route.

As full disclosure, I also have a 3/4 ton truck that's my pristine vehicle.
Old 04-21-19, 10:47 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Before buying my LX, I also looked at the GX (and Mercedes GL / Audi Q7). Test drove both GX and LX. The ride in the LX feels smoother and seems better build than the GX. Seat in the LX is very comfortable (I rarely sit at the back seats). GX is still a good vehicle, but if you can go for the LX, go for it! No regret.
Old 04-22-19, 10:05 AM
TTLongIs
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also upgraded from a GX to an LX. I had no issues with the GX, but the ride on the LX is totally different.

The third row seats folds up the side, but even with that u have more width and depth in the back.

I use the truck for work so the trunk space and quiet ride where very important.
Old 04-22-19, 10:07 AM
TTLongIs
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 180ls1
I currently have a GX470 (which has been wonderful) but it has always been a bit small (I am 6'3" 225lbs). How much room and seat comfort do I pick up if I were to jump to the LX570? The other option may be to move to an LS for daily comfort and buy a beater truck for offroad/hunting duties. Thoughts?
for what it’s worth, i’m 6’2 230 and have plenty of room even with two car seats in the back.
Old 04-22-19, 02:29 PM
irv09
Driver School Candidate

I had two generations of the GX and the LX was a more comfortable upgrade in terms of room. I also preferred the acceleration and brakes in the LX over the GX. I did not do any real off-road driving, but I am not sure if the current generation is a great for real off road driving given the running boards. I would consider your second option, the beater truck for off-road and get the LS.
Old 04-22-19, 04:06 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I'vw owned both. Without looking at the interior dimensions to compare objectively, the LX just subjectively feels larger and more comfortable inside. As far as off-road, the LX feels more capable than the GX. I now use my LX primarily as a farm truck, and it hauls lumber, feed sacks, hay bales, and manure. As a trailer hauler the LX is hands-down better than the GX. The LX will haul lumber up to 10 feet long with the back end closed. And the LX has a lift hatch to haul even longer things when nedded, plus it's easy to disble the annoying rear door open warning beeper.

As an added benefit, the LX has a proper tailgate to use as a work surface for things like sawing fence boards. The GX has a rear door that reminds me of a hearse. I think the GX proportions look skinny and overly tall, like a proper SUV with its sides squeezed in a giant vise. That's what it felt like driving it as well.

The LX will also be a capable hunt truck, and save you having to insure both a GX and a hunt truck, I've hauled many a foxhound off-road in the back of my LX's, and have accumulated the usual scratches and stains and scrapes. If you/re obsessed with driving a pristine vehicle , then go the SC plus beater hunt truck route.

The GX door would be a deal-breaker for us, but I was shopping for a 200 series when I found the Land Cruiser. It's also a definite farm and ranch truck...dogs to vet, horse feed, tractor hydraulic cylinders, etc. 3rd row seats are in the attic, and I found I could fit an elk quarter in the back on a Husky floor liner. Wife's Dodge diesel is the usual farm vehicle, especially pulling a 3-horse trailer.

OT...a fox hunt is definitely near the top of my bucket list.
Old 04-22-19, 09:48 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chc4au
I have had 3 GX and about 2 years moved to a 2017 Lx and love it. Not sure you gain head room leg room etc but the ride is smoother and much more comfortable especially long trips.
Ok, are the seats any wider? I feel like the GX ones are a little narrow.

Originally Posted by Reggie1

Interesting, I also have a 2500 truck and I swear the seats are better than my lexus when it comes to comfort. It seems like the additional length of the LX may work to sleep inside as well. The GX is a little too short for a platform bed when I am hunting in cold country.

Originally Posted by z32
Before buying my LX, I also looked at the GX (and Mercedes GL / Audi Q7). Test drove both GX and LX. The ride in the LX feels smoother and seems better build than the GX. Seat in the LX is very comfortable (I rarely sit at the back seats). GX is still a good vehicle, but if you can go for the LX, go for it! No regret.
Cool, I think I need to drive a few. The extra 5-10k premium is a good chunk of change when upgrading from the GX to the LX. I assume I will get most of that back when I sell it someday though.

Originally Posted by TTLongIs
I also upgraded from a GX to an LX. I had no issues with the GX, but the ride on the LX is totally different.

The third row seats folds up the side, but even with that u have more width and depth in the back.

I use the truck for work so the trunk space and quiet ride where very important.
Originally Posted by TTLongIs
for what it’s worth, i’m 6’2 230 and have plenty of room even with two car seats in the back.
Good to know, I didnt imagine it was that much bigger but it may be just enough to make a substantial difference.

Do you think you could sleep inside if you made a platform bed? My GX is too short.

Originally Posted by irv09
I had two generations of the GX and the LX was a more comfortable upgrade in terms of room. I also preferred the acceleration and brakes in the LX over the GX. I did not do any real off-road driving, but I am not sure if the current generation is a great for real off road driving given the running boards. I would consider your second option, the beater truck for off-road and get the LS.
Yeah, I am really struggling with that. I know whatever I gain with MPG and other lower costs assoicated with the LS will get chewed up by having a second vehicle (insurance/repairs/registration). But I have a second vehicle now and its fine $$$ wise so who knows.

Originally Posted by hankinid
The GX door would be a deal-breaker for us, but I was shopping for a 200 series when I found the Land Cruiser. It's also a definite farm and ranch truck...dogs to vet, horse feed, tractor hydraulic cylinders, etc. 3rd row seats are in the attic, and I found I could fit an elk quarter in the back on a Husky floor liner. Wife's Dodge diesel is the usual farm vehicle, especially pulling a 3-horse trailer.

OT...a fox hunt is definitely near the top of my bucket list.
The landcruiser is also an option. Used they seem about the same cost though so I think I would spring for the LX. It would also double as an elk hunting rig, I love elk hunting. I'll actually be heading up to southern Idaho for the first time on an OTC archery elk hunt this Sept. Looks like BIG country!

I also have a 2500 cummins but I am selling it. I cant justify that expensive of a vehicle that sits most all of the year.
Old 04-24-19, 09:05 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Great thread!

Ok, are the seats any wider? I feel like the GX ones are a little narrow.

Interesting, I also have a 2500 truck and I swear the seats are better than my lexus when it comes to comfort. It seems like the additional length of the LX may work to sleep inside as well. The GX is a little too short for a platform bed when I am hunting in cold country.

Cool, I think I need to drive a few. The extra 5-10k premium is a good chunk of change when upgrading from the GX to the LX. I assume I will get most of that back when I sell it someday though.

Good to know, I didnt imagine it was that much bigger but it may be just enough to make a substantial difference.

Do you think you could sleep inside if you made a platform bed? My GX is too short.

Yeah, I am really struggling with that. I know whatever I gain with MPG and other lower costs assoicated with the LS will get chewed up by having a second vehicle (insurance/repairs/registration). But I have a second vehicle now and its fine $$$ wise so who knows.

The landcruiser is also an option. Used they seem about the same cost though so I think I would spring for the LX. It would also double as an elk hunting rig, I love elk hunting. I'll actually be heading up to southern Idaho for the first time on an OTC archery elk hunt this Sept. Looks like BIG country!

I also have a 2500 cummins but I am selling it. I cant justify that expensive of a vehicle that sits most all of the year.
This is exactly the information I was looking for. I own a 2007 GX and it's been great, but I am also a big so it's not so comfortable on road trips, plus I prefer the tail gate and lift up window over the swing out door. Have any of y'all compared the current generation to the 08 and down for power, ride, etc? In DFW I can almost trade even for an older LX from my 07 GX. Pretty sure I'll take the plunge in the near future.
Old 04-24-19, 01:39 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 373 Likes on 257 Posts

We had a GX before getting our LX - LX is wider everywhere so I find it more comfortable and spacious (I'm 6'1", 185). I also have an LS460 and you certainly can't go wrong with that. If you're looking for smooth and quiet, the LS is the one to get.
Old 04-25-19, 12:31 PM
irv09
Driver School Candidate

I would say that to the question of the GX vs the LX, I think the LX on balance was a much better vehicle. I thought the acceleration and braking was much better for me. The ride on long trips was better over the GX. I ended up trading my LX this past week because it was just too big for everyday parking and the low MPG hurt a bit. I ended up getting a Jeep as the beater so I like the idea of an LS and a beater; the cost of the beater may not be that bad depending on the vehicle.
Old 04-25-19, 12:38 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
We had a GX before getting our LX - LX is wider everywhere so I find it more comfortable and spacious (I'm 6'1", 185). I also have an LS460 and you certainly can't go wrong with that. If you're looking for smooth and quiet, the LS is the one to get.
Originally Posted by irv09
I would say that to the question of the GX vs the LX, I think the LX on balance was a much better vehicle. I thought the acceleration and braking was much better for me. The ride on long trips was better over the GX. I ended up trading my LX this past week because it was just too big for everyday parking and the low MPG hurt a bit. I ended up getting a Jeep as the beater so I like the idea of an LS and a beater; the cost of the beater may not be that bad depending on the vehicle.
Interesting. I am starting to like the idea of having 2x vehicles that are more specific to their tasks. Plus, with the cost of an LX it looks like I can get a reliable beater truck and nice LS460 with a combined cost/milage less than what a LX would be.
The following users liked this post:
LS460Crown (09-08-19)
Old 04-26-19, 02:39 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 373 Likes on 257 Posts

Interesting. I am starting to like the idea of having 2x vehicles that are more specific to their tasks. Plus, with the cost of an LX it looks like I can get a reliable beater truck and nice LS460 with a combined cost/milage less than what a LX would be.
Yeah, having a dedicated utility vehicle to serve a purpose and then a luxo barge like the LS460 is appealing in lots of cases. FYI, personally I would avoid 2007-2009 LS460 due to some potential issues that would be costly to repair. Ideally you find a 2011 and beyond- there was an exterior refresh and big interior change beginning in 2013. You'd need to see if you like the newer look or the 2010-2012 look.

I am on my 3rd LS and currently own a 2010 LWB (hard to find but worth it for change in ride quality from extended wheelbase and your rear passengers get 5" of extra legroom) and have been very pleased but mine is plagued with one of the known issues impacting many of the 2007-2012 models (sticky interior surfaces - currently being covered by Lexus under a program).

Lots of good info and great folks in the 4th Gen LS forum to help you if you decide to look. You should be able to get a 2013-2015 for $32k and under and that's a ton of car for that price. In early 2017, I paid $23k for my 2010 LWB with 70k miles.