LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

New LX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19 | 06:20 AM
jflail2
Driver School Candidate

Default New LX Owner

Hi all, recently picked up a mint 2015 LX for a fair price. I won't be doing any heavy off roading anytime soon as it's just too pretty, but do have plans to hit some of the unpaved roads in George Washington National Park soon. And man........this thing never met a gas pump it didn't like eh?

Any other "easy" trails near the Richmond/ central VA area that might be worth checking out, but wouldn't leave me with damage/pin stripes?

Potato cam, but here's the new ride:

The following 3 users liked this post by jflail2:
bibika027 (07-01-19), glemmen1 (06-19-19), Googloid (08-05-19)
Old 06-19-19 | 11:29 PM
nayak1
Driver

Smile

Congratulations! She looks gorgeous!! Enjoy.
Old 06-20-19 | 06:51 AM
jflail2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Nayak! Taking our first out of state road trip in it this weekend. While it seems to have never met a gas station it didn't like, I'm still looking forward to the trip. A bit different versus how I used to dread those trips in my 06 4Runner (the rattle wagon.)
Old 06-20-19 | 08:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Congrats on a nice truck - love those wheels. I have a 2010 and would love to upgrade my wheels to those. Don't pay too much attention to the frequency of visiting a gas station - the LX has a relatively small tank capacity for such a large & heavy SUV. It also gets pretty bad gas mileage, but I don't care because I love the way it rides and it's solid as a rock. I hope it treats you well - I had a 4 Runner and a GX before getting our LX... the LX is a serious upgrade. You'll never go back.

Don't park it on the street in the Fan too often or you know what will happen to it..! Hope you have a garage.
Old 06-20-19 | 08:19 AM
jflail2
Driver School Candidate

Indeed jr. This is by far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned, including an Audi S4. Jumping from an 06 4Runner to this feels like I landed in the lap of luxury, I'm honestly not worried about the cost of gas, and make sure to always feed it premium when we do stop.

And I'm actually in Churchill, but good call. I have off street parking behind my house that I use for nights and weekends. Are you a former RVA resident? If so, I'd love to know of any "light" trails you've found in this area.
Old 06-20-19 | 11:28 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

looks very sharp and clean, I also like those wheels a lot. Congrats on the suv
Old 06-20-19 | 11:51 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jflail2
And man........this thing never met a gas pump it didn't like
The gas mileage is pretty poor, but on a positive note the range is better than the vehicle diisplay indicates.

A lot has been posted about this. There is a lot of fuel remaining in the tank when the range indicator approaches zero. It is a bit stressful to keep driving when the range says single digits, though.

If the goal is better range and mileage, and the cost is not a significant factor, skip the ethanol diluted gas and head for the 100% gasoline pump.

Also, after you pick up a few brush scrapes in the paint, off road driving will be much more enjoyable.

Last edited by Reggie1; 06-20-19 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Googloid (08-05-19)
Old 06-21-19 | 05:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jflail2
Indeed jr. This is by far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned, including an Audi S4. Jumping from an 06 4Runner to this feels like I landed in the lap of luxury, I'm honestly not worried about the cost of gas, and make sure to always feed it premium when we do stop.

And I'm actually in Churchill, but good call. I have off street parking behind my house that I use for nights and weekends. Are you a former RVA resident? If so, I'd love to know of any "light" trails you've found in this area.
Yes you have landed in the lap of luxury- enjoy it. If it weren't for the jump seat design in the 3rd row taking up some needed storage space, I wouldn't really have a single dislike about the LX at all (yes, I know they can be removed but it's not practical when you actually need the 3rd row on a whim).

I'm born & raised in RVA but moved away almost 20 years ago so wouldn't be any help for trail info. If you ever go to Outer Banks, I did enjoy recently taking our LX to Corova a few years ago - got some cool shots of it with wild horses on the beach all around it. Was also interesting driving on the beach and having to drive over a big dune of relatively soft sand to get to the beach-front house since there are no driveways there. No problem in the LX, but watched lots of other folks struggle quite a bit with pretty capable 4WD trucks. There are also lots of sand dunes in Corova where you can take your truck up top and watch the sunset. A friend of the family had a 1985 LandCruiser and that thing seemed equally capable navigating the dunes as our 2010 LX. Pretty cool... and yes, I tried to buy the '85 Cruiser before leaving but they wouldn't sell...!
The following users liked this post:
jflail2 (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19 | 07:44 AM
jflail2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks jr, much appreciated. I've discussed with the girl and we're taking a vacation to Carova in September. That sounds amazing. Are there restrictions on where you can/can't drive? I see that there are no actual roads anywhere on the island so it had me wondering about protected dunes etc.
Old 06-26-19 | 09:48 PM
Mikerx80
Pit Crew

Looks nice! As others have said don’t pay too much attention to the 12.5 mpg trip monitor and frequent trips to the gas station, definitely kills the enjoyment of a solid ride. You feel like you are in a tank in this thing, smooth and comfortable. No problems at all but the darn recall that has been taking ages for Lexus to find a fix for. Enjoy in good health.
Old 06-27-19 | 08:09 AM
jflail2
Driver School Candidate

Yessir Mike, you hit the nail on the head. I took the girl and our dogs on a trip out of state this last weekend and not only did it cruise luxuriously well (back and neck didn't hurt at all after 5 hours of driving, which is rare for me), but the gas mileage wasn't terrible on the highway at all. I was getting at/near what I get in my 06 4runner. Now in town it's a different story, but I was pleasantly surprised by the highway mileage.

I keep seeing them pop up on car sites, and honestly, I don't think I could've done much better for what I paid and what I got. Love the LX!