LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

14 and up Best LX & Why - looking to buy LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 09:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm also eyeing one of these ('14-'15) and will be purchasing within a year.

The '16 update looks good but the tires have just about zero sidewall, this thing would be a mess in deep mud or sand. Kind of pointless with arguably the most capable vehicle in existence.

I want the older gen because I think it's better looking, spindle grill looks great. Much more tire sidewall. And the '16s are way more expensive.

The '16 has lots of nice interior updates but the '14-'15 aren't exactly penalty boxes. I like that it has a digital speedometer and a color TFT screen around real, old school gauges.
Old 08-07-19, 11:17 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The '16 update looks good but the tires have just about zero sidewall, this thing would be a mess in deep mud or sand. Kind of pointless with arguably the most capable vehicle in existence.
I agree 100%. But there is no reason to keep these tires. Many of us here use 18" wheels (Sequoia, Tundra or Land Cruiser take-offs) and they work great on LX.
Old 08-08-19, 03:28 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I agree 100%. But there is no reason to keep these tires. Many of us here use 18" wheels (Sequoia, Tundra or Land Cruiser take-offs) and they work great on LX.
Right, and I wouldn't want to do that. The '14-'15 has sweet looking 20"s which I could put more off road focused tires on and be fine, I think. Wouldn't have to switch rims, etc.
Old 08-08-19, 09:24 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Agree....Yes Mercedes is better than Audi and BMW (forget about Land Rovers). I do own a MB 2001 E240 (in another country; mileage about 85000 KM - seldom driven), things (like interior headliner), *****, window regulators, electronics just automatically fail / fall off naturally over time. But mechanically the E240 has been great (just had an oil leak from the tranny oil pan, just a reseal. It's actually CHEAPER to replace parts on this E240 than say a Lexus GS / a Toyota Crown tot my surprise. But I also owned a Honda Odyssey (MY02), drove till about 240000 miles (in the US) before getting rear ended when parked on a side street. No leak, just oil change, brakes and tires.... (well besides 3 transmissions replacement). No electronic issues, original rack... amazingly reliable (like to old Crown Victoria / the old Chevy Tahoe).
Old 08-11-19, 04:40 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by z32
When I bought my MY15 LX 570, I've been eying on one for almost a year. I wanted HID (which the older MY08-MY13 ? don't have), I like to updated taillight assembly, of course reliability in Toyota / Lexus has been a major plus (I stay away from BMW / Audi / 'maybe' some Mercedes / Infiniti - actually the QX80 is quote reliable except I don't like the look for the truck and Nissan /Infiniti tend to have fail catalytic converter around 110k). Honda / Acura just don't have the size I want. Fit and finish is excellent in the LX / Lexus brand. Best thing is the extended factory Lexus Platinum warranty (on top of CPO) which carries a zero deductible and unlimited mileage up to 2025! So I can use the trunk w/out worrying about mileage / warranty.

So far I've added about 24k miles to the vehicle. The dash had some squeaks which the dealer attempted to insulate, of course I had to do it myself afterwards which now fixed. The 2nd row seat bottom (where those plastic panels / covers are) are squeaking / rattling, which I also insulated just last wk. Hatch struts failed (unable to push the hatch open even opened at 45 degrees) which dealer replaced under warranty. Alignment done twice (once after I received the vehicle and I just want to do it - I have access to an alignment rack and did the alignment myself. Second alignment was done 3 months ago after replacing all 4 tires (same Michelin Latitude) . Brakes (at least the front) maybe due soon (last visit at 50k was 4mm), which may need to replace rotors also (they were resurfaced around 24k at the dealer before the CPO). I'll probably replace them myself.

I've taken the vehicle on 1200 road trips (2 days) and has been very enjoyable. Everytime I get into or exit the vehicle I felt happy, always leave me a 'satisfy / amazed' feeling. Drove the Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Mercedes GLS these never gave me the 'happiness'. But am also looking at the Mercedes G wagen and the new GLE for my wife. Totally different vehicle... I know but just wanna try them out (if I end up getting a Mercedes I'll make sure I get the ext warranty).

Never driven the LX in a blizzard / heavy snow though. Always wanna try, hope this winter we'll get good snow in the Tahoe area.
So the 16 and up with the joystick looks very cool to me, and after test driving a few, I am more pumped than ever. I'm reminded of how joyful it was to get my first Land Cruiser back in the day, and how much better it was than the Acura I was previously driving. Such a dramatic step up. The 18 LX570 without the third row seating looks like my choice. Unless something huge takes place, will be mine in a couple days. Absolutely love the ride, amenities, and clear and obvious upgrade from my very faithful GX470. Might also mention my son is pretty pumped about inheriting the GX!

Thank you all for your comments, details, and hot sports opinions. Cheers!
Old 08-11-19, 03:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dtaylor
So the 16 and up with the joystick looks very cool to me, and after test driving a few, I am more pumped than ever. I'm reminded of how joyful it was to get my first Land Cruiser back in the day, and how much better it was than the Acura I was previously driving. Such a dramatic step up. The 18 LX570 without the third row seating looks like my choice. Unless something huge takes place, will be mine in a couple days. Absolutely love the ride, amenities, and clear and obvious upgrade from my very faithful GX470. Might also mention my son is pretty pumped about inheriting the GX!

Congrats on the future purchase....I'm right behind you though it'll be maybe a year and I wan't the pre-refresh '14-'15.

I like GM trucks and they are good vehicles with good bones, and had my heart set on an Escalade for the looks and especially the engine, but a used one of those is a gamble reliability wise with all the fancy doo-dads on them.

You just can't go wrong with a Lexus. Let alone an LX, good lord talk about an overbuilt vehicle. I usually avoid vehicles with fancy suspensions but have zero concerns about the LX's hydrolic setup. Toyota literally engineers the LC to last 25 years in the harshest of conditions.

Now I don't even think about the Cadillac anymore, LX 1000000%.
The following users liked this post:
dtaylor (08-11-19)
Old 08-12-19, 12:15 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor
Absolutely love the ride, amenities, and clear and obvious upgrade from my very faithful GX470. Might also mention my son is pretty pumped about inheriting the GX!

Congrats on the LX. Your story is similar to mine, having owned a 2005 GX since new, it now has 195k miles and I still confidently drive it 70 mi R/T to work 5 days a week. Just picked up a '19 LX and my soon to be 16 yr old will get to drive the GX. Already have my eye on some TRD Pro wheels to make it more his.
Old 08-12-19, 02:12 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

YEP, my oldest son has driven his Honda Accord for 13 years, so he gets the GX with 175 on the clock. Going to have #2 son (master mechanic) do the timing belt / water pump routine to it before we hand it off to #1. He isn't into custom stuff so he will likely drive it as is with a magnaflow (killer sound) exhaust and next gen tires wheels. It's a very solid GX, looks like a trailer queen but has done serious trail duty as well.
The following users liked this post:
cssnms (08-12-19)
Old 08-17-19, 04:22 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Bought an 18 with 25k. Love it. Joystick mouse not a problem at all and I like how it operates.
Old 08-17-19, 12:14 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
2016 and later have much better adaptive cruise control (full speed range), head-up display and most important, blind spot and rear cross traffic assist. I would try to buy 2016.
On the 2014 & 2015's are there any exterior features, maybe on the grill ?, to tell if an LX has the Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Adaptive / Dynamic Cruise Control Option ?
I know the steering wheel has the 5th button added on the right side for DCC, but when searching thru classifieds pictures it's hard to tell many times if the steering wheel has this option unless it's a close-up image and it's not always mentioned in the ad.