LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

14 and up Best LX & Why - looking to buy LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 11:41 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking 14 and up Best LX & Why - looking to buy LX

Shopping for an LX570, 2014 or newer. I see some things I like better on the later models, like the joystick / mouse like controller, front grille, stance, etc. I'm curious to hear from those who have any of these year models. What are your favorite things, why did you pick the model you picked, etc. I'm an old FZJ80 guy turned Lexus guy. Liked the LS I had, and love the GX, but it's getting a bit small in the butt, so I'm thinking an LX will fix that plus a little more girth and power for trips.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-01-19, 04:27 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

2016 and later have much better adaptive cruise control (full speed range), head-up display and most important, blind spot and rear cross traffic assist. I would try to buy 2016.
Old 08-01-19, 03:29 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

As you'd expect, there's a (significant) bump in price for each newer year. I like the 2013-2015 personally as a sweet spot for value and styling. I used 3" Convex Mirrors in lieu of BSM and they have worked great.
Old 08-05-19, 02:54 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Right there with you on the whole equipment thing. Wasn't aware they had a blind spot. Need to test drive a few sounds like.
Old 08-05-19, 02:57 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

No doubt these puppies are expensive, and I've used the very same principal on buying a year or two older for price sake. Saves a ton of cash, and you still drive a very nice car. Still, I like the 16 and up for enough reasons that I'll likely go that route.
Old 08-06-19, 12:55 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor
Right there with you on the whole equipment thing. Wasn't aware they had a blind spot. Need to test drive a few sounds like.
I believe the poster was saying "blind spot" in reference to the blind spot monitoring technology, not that certain years/generations of the LX/LC have more/worse blindspots than other years. I may be wrong, but that was my interpretation of their response -
Old 08-06-19, 06:29 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

When I bought my MY15 LX 570, I've been eying on one for almost a year. I wanted HID (which the older MY08-MY13 ? don't have), I like to updated taillight assembly, of course reliability in Toyota / Lexus has been a major plus (I stay away from BMW / Audi / 'maybe' some Mercedes / Infiniti - actually the QX80 is quote reliable except I don't like the look for the truck and Nissan /Infiniti tend to have fail catalytic converter around 110k). Honda / Acura just don't have the size I want. Fit and finish is excellent in the LX / Lexus brand. Best thing is the extended factory Lexus Platinum warranty (on top of CPO) which carries a zero deductible and unlimited mileage up to 2025! So I can use the trunk w/out worrying about mileage / warranty.

So far I've added about 24k miles to the vehicle. The dash had some squeaks which the dealer attempted to insulate, of course I had to do it myself afterwards which now fixed. The 2nd row seat bottom (where those plastic panels / covers are) are squeaking / rattling, which I also insulated just last wk. Hatch struts failed (unable to push the hatch open even opened at 45 degrees) which dealer replaced under warranty. Alignment done twice (once after I received the vehicle and I just want to do it - I have access to an alignment rack and did the alignment myself. Second alignment was done 3 months ago after replacing all 4 tires (same Michelin Latitude) . Brakes (at least the front) maybe due soon (last visit at 50k was 4mm), which may need to replace rotors also (they were resurfaced around 24k at the dealer before the CPO). I'll probably replace them myself.

I've taken the vehicle on 1200 road trips (2 days) and has been very enjoyable. Everytime I get into or exit the vehicle I felt happy, always leave me a 'satisfy / amazed' feeling. Drove the Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Mercedes GLS these never gave me the 'happiness'. But am also looking at the Mercedes G wagen and the new GLE for my wife. Totally different vehicle... I know but just wanna try them out (if I end up getting a Mercedes I'll make sure I get the ext warranty).

Never driven the LX in a blizzard / heavy snow though. Always wanna try, hope this winter we'll get good snow in the Tahoe area.
The following users liked this post:
dtaylor (08-11-19)
Old 08-06-19, 06:41 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by z32
Never driven the LX in a blizzard / heavy snow though. Always wanna try, hope this winter we'll get good snow in the Tahoe area.
I've driven in blizzard many times last season around Lake Tahoe. I had good winter tires (Blizzak DMV2) so no problems with traction. The only problem is that the LED headlights on 2016 are not heated and in heavy snowing they are completely covered by snow very soon. I have to stop and remove the snow. I thing that 2017 or 2018 LX already have heated LED headlights.
Old 08-06-19, 07:31 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

To each his own, but we traded a new '18 LX after 6 months because neither my wife or I could stand the joystick BS. Absolutely the worst IMO. Traded for a 18 Porsche Cayenne Turbo and very happy.
Old 08-06-19, 07:43 PM
daddymalu
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The infotainment systems of all the Lexus vehicles are horrible. I came from a 2018 m5 and that car seemed light years ahead in terms of the ease of use of the radio AC etc. Hopefully Lexus will get it straight the next time around.
Old 08-07-19, 11:37 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

No big problems with the infotainment. Fortunately, LX has buttons for A/C and most other important things and Mark Levinson audio is great. I need LX for its offroad abilities, towing, hauling, reliability... And it has no competition if you need it for what it has been designed. If you need a mall crawler, don't buy LX.
hankinid (08-07-19)
Old 08-07-19, 11:55 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
No big problems with the infotainment. Fortunately, LX has buttons for A/C and most other important things and Mark Levinson audio is great. I need LX for its offroad abilities, towing, hauling, reliability... And it has no competition if you need it for what it has been designed. If you need a mall crawler, don't buy LX.
...and be sure to get an extended warranty if it's not a Land Cruiser or LX...especially if it's made in Germany or the UK.
Old 08-07-19, 05:19 PM
daddymalu
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an LX because the German and English SUVs are a dime a dozen here in South Florida. I rarely see an LX on the road. I also had a GX a few years ago and it was reliable and had good resale value.
Mikerx80 (09-09-19)
Old 08-07-19, 05:50 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
I've driven in blizzard many times last season around Lake Tahoe. I had good winter tires (Blizzak DMV2) so no problems with traction. The only problem is that the LED headlights on 2016 are not heated and in heavy snowing they are completely covered by snow very soon. I have to stop and remove the snow. I thing that 2017 or 2018 LX already have heated LED headlights.
My snow tires are the same as yours, mounted on 18" Tundra take-off wheels. VERY steady in snow and slush.

I passing on LED front lights, D1 OEM keep the headlights ice free.
ClaytonW (08-07-19)
Old 08-07-19, 07:36 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z32
When I bought my MY15 LX 570, I've been eying on one for almost a year. I wanted HID (which the older MY08-MY13 ? don't have), I like to updated taillight assembly, of course reliability in Toyota / Lexus has been a major plus (I stay away from BMW / Audi / 'maybe' some Mercedes / Infiniti - actually the QX80 is quote reliable except I don't like the look for the truck and Nissan /Infiniti tend to have fail catalytic converter around 110k). Honda / Acura just don't have the size I want. Fit and finish is excellent in the LX / Lexus brand. Best thing is the extended factory Lexus Platinum warranty (on top of CPO) which carries a zero deductible and unlimited mileage up to 2025! So I can use the trunk w/out worrying about mileage / warranty.

So far I've added about 24k miles to the vehicle. The dash had some squeaks which the dealer attempted to insulate, of course I had to do it myself afterwards which now fixed. The 2nd row seat bottom (where those plastic panels / covers are) are squeaking / rattling, which I also insulated just last wk. Hatch struts failed (unable to push the hatch open even opened at 45 degrees) which dealer replaced under warranty. Alignment done twice (once after I received the vehicle and I just want to do it - I have access to an alignment rack and did the alignment myself. Second alignment was done 3 months ago after replacing all 4 tires (same Michelin Latitude) . Brakes (at least the front) maybe due soon (last visit at 50k was 4mm), which may need to replace rotors also (they were resurfaced around 24k at the dealer before the CPO). I'll probably replace them myself.

I've taken the vehicle on 1200 road trips (2 days) and has been very enjoyable. Everytime I get into or exit the vehicle I felt happy, always leave me a 'satisfy / amazed' feeling. Drove the Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Mercedes GLS these never gave me the 'happiness'. But am also looking at the Mercedes G wagen and the new GLE for my wife. Totally different vehicle... I know but just wanna try them out (if I end up getting a Mercedes I'll make sure I get the ext warranty).

2 years ago, I bought my wife a CPO 2014 ML350 ( Name changed to GLE) with 48,000 miles. Been our daily driver now have 89,000 miles on it. Nothing has gone wrong! Solid vehicle just oil changes, tires and brakes. Build quality impressive. Robust and solid. Gives confidence my family walks away in a serious accident. Plenty of power, adequate handling and most comfortable ride out of competitors! Built heavy like a Mercedes-Benz! Amazing how new this thing drives and feels with almost 90,000 miles on it. Hoping to take it to 200k without any major issues which looks promising. I avoided airmatic suspension, V8 engine, diesel and turbos. That is a big advantage to reliability. I think Mercedes is one of the more reliable and better built German brands (I’ve owned BMW and Audi). Supposedly the E class and M class are solid. Stay away from AMG, turbos, diesels, air suspension etc for better reliability. I test drove Lexus RX350’s but didn’t get that solid vault like feel like I do with my Mercedes. And the mouse controller was a turnoff! The Benz has actual buttons for infotainment. I had a Lexus GS430 and had failing ball joints, door lock actuators, window motors, failed amplifier etc so Lexus isn't always problem free either. However, I’m looking for a 13-15 LX570 because there’s else nothing like it and it is over engineered.

Last edited by milellie11; 08-08-19 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 14 and up Best LX & Why - looking to buy LX