2019 - wiring harness - not there

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 12:13 PM
Drohde27
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2019 - wiring harness - not there

Hello....

Went to use my 2019 LX 570 today to pull a trailer.....to my disbelief the wiring harness was not installed. I went and looked through the box that was given to me at the dealer...and there it was.

Isn't this to be installed at the dealer before deliver of the SUV with the tow package? I have the "inspiration" model with all options including the tow package.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-19, 04:57 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Drohde27
Hello....

Went to use my 2019 LX 570 today to pull a trailer.....to my disbelief the wiring harness was not installed. I went and looked through the box that was given to me at the dealer...and there it was.

Isn't this to be installed at the dealer before deliver of the SUV with the tow package? I have the "inspiration" model with all options including the tow package.

Thoughts?
You need to contact your dealer.
Old 08-18-19, 05:22 PM
Drohde27
Driver School Candidate

I plan to contact them tomorrow....never had an issue in the past. We will see......i'm sure they will have some excuse.
Old 08-19-19, 01:28 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Hello....

Thoughts?
I assume that the wiring harness you refer to is the one to operate a trailer brake controller. Not the 7pin RV plug socket under the rear of the vehicle.

I am on my third Lexus for towing my horse trailer. None of these Lexus vehicles had this trailer brake wiring harness connected. That I understood since the placement of the add-on brake controller is selected by the owner based on personal preference. I like mine installed under the dash just above my right knee, but other owners may prefer the left side.

Lexus doesn't know, when you choose the tow package whether you will be towing a big-box store single axle trailer, with no trailer brakes, or a dual axle trailer with brakes on both axles. So, it's up to you to buy and install the trailer brake controller of your choice if you require one.

I've wired up a GX and two LX's. In all cases the wiring connector was buried fairly deep in the dash, near the ignition button, and was wrapped inside a wiring harness, so the connector was not readily found. Thank goodness there were internet posts with pictures specific to all 3 of mine. Each took about an hour - from removing the dash panel, finding the connector, installing the brake controller unit, and buttoning up the dash.
Old 08-19-19, 05:22 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I am on my third Lexus for towing my horse trailer. None of these Lexus vehicles had this trailer brake wiring harness connected. That I understood since the placement of the add-on brake controller is selected by the owner based on personal preference. I like mine installed under the dash just above my right knee, but other owners may prefer the left side.

Lexus doesn't know, when you choose the tow package whether you will be towing a big-box store single axle trailer, with no trailer brakes, or a dual axle trailer with brakes on both axles. So, it's up to you to buy and install the trailer brake controller of your choice if you require one.

I've wired up a GX and two LX's. In all cases the wiring connector was buried fairly deep in the dash, near the ignition button, and was wrapped inside a wiring harness, so the connector was not readily found. Thank goodness there were internet posts with pictures specific to all 3 of mine. Each took about an hour - from removing the dash panel, finding the connector, installing the brake controller unit, and buttoning up the dash.
This one looks like an elegant fix...Redarc brake controller

For other ideas, I searched for "brake controller" in the 200 series forum on mud...interesting reading...Brake controller info on 200 series...

As was posted, 'Yota has no idea of the controller you'll use, therefore you get the cable to fit your controller on one end, and the truck on the other. I'd suggest Tekonsha for the cable and controller.

hth
Old 08-21-19, 03:48 AM
Drohde27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I assume that the wiring harness you refer to is the one to operate a trailer brake controller. Not the 7pin RV plug socket under the rear of the vehicle.

The issue is the actual pin RV plug under the rear of the SUV, never installed at dealer. After came home I found it in the box they left in my SUV at delivery, guess I never saw it.

Lexus dealers are becoming SO bad, never have any issues at my BMW dealer and the service quality is much better.
Old 08-21-19, 04:31 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would call the Lexus dealership and ask them about this.

Depending on their attitude, I will decide if I wanted to let the Lexus HQ know that I'm not happy bc I am taking time out of my busy schedule to get this corrected.

The issue is the actual pin RV plug under the rear of the SUV, never installed at dealer. After came home I found it in the box they left in my SUV at delivery, guess I never saw it.

Lexus dealers are becoming SO bad, never have any issues at my BMW dealer and the service quality is much better.
Old 08-21-19, 07:35 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Hello....

Thoughts?
You'll normally find it either in a box as you did, or the cable itself is packed in the back of the left side 3rd row seat.

The Tow Package is standard in the North American market.

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would call the Lexus dealership and ask them about this.

Depending on their attitude, I will decide if I wanted to let the Lexus HQ know that I'm not happy bc I am taking time out of my busy schedule to get this corrected.
It takes about 10 minutes out of your "busy schedule".