LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

The End of The Land Cruiser and the LX570

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 07:06 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah, a Cayenne isn't a real truck either. Completely different missions. Tow a 5,000 lb boat for 5 years in a unibody vs BOF, see which one is still standing lol.

IMO, this is what you buy an SUV for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ALNN056F8
No doubt and if I were rich oil shiek with bottomless wallet I'd be doing that too!
Old 08-24-19, 12:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
No doubt and if I were rich oil shiek with bottomless wallet I'd be doing that too!
I don't think you need a bottomless wallet to have fun like that in an LX/LC....that's the whole point of them--they're engineered for that kind of duty.

I get what you mean, though.

Unfortunately any desert fun is at least a 2 day drive from me, but there are lots of good off road trails around here especially being so close to the Smokey Mountains. PLENTY of places to do that kind of stuff in the mud.
Old 08-24-19, 06:55 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, if one go in with that Porsche Cayenne Turbo, then you might NOT make it out alive (if truly remote and middle of nowhere without any cell service) with all that snow and everything associated with bad freezing weather. That Porsche might just have to to towed out!!! That Porsche Cayenne Turbo is only good for mall cruising and visit some nice restaurants on the way. IMHO, Not for SEVERE weather duty at all.

Originally Posted by shredder88
A few years ago I had a 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo loaded. MSRP was $145k. Amazing car overall the best car to date I have ever driven. But, once I hit 30,000 miles things started to break and the car would spend a week or two at the dealership for repairs. Also, I don’t believe you should be comparing a Cayenne to an LX as the Cayenne to me is a sports car SUV and is only a 5 seater. I would never bring my Cayenne to my mountain house in the snow where I can’t wait to bring my LX!
Old 08-24-19, 07:24 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yeah, if one go in with that Porsche Cayenne Turbo, then you might NOT make it out alive (if truly remote and middle of nowhere without any cell service) with all that snow and everything associated with bad freezing weather. That Porsche might just have to to towed out!!! That Porsche Cayenne Turbo is only good for mall cruising and visit some nice restaurants on the way. IMHO, Not for SEVERE weather duty at all.
Not quite correct. It really depends on the tires.
The following users liked this post:
REDHORSE (08-25-19)
Old 08-24-19, 07:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cb1111
Not quite correct. It really depends on the tires.
I wouldn't blow through snowbanks and have the fun associated with that in a $150k unibody Cayman, though.

I would crawl an LX up a rocky ski slope if I could get away with it, lol.
Old 08-24-19, 08:10 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

The direct road to my house is closed till oct for repaid, the detour is about 4 miles longer, there’s a parallel dirt/ mud tracks wild life area that you can for 2 miles and turn onto the closed road which then you can take to my development.

While all the traffic is talking the detour I have fun with the shortcut, everyday. Lx is a beast. It’s probably not as fast or comfortable than a the new suvs but it’s good for what it is.

I just changed the brakes today, lifted the suv , you see the metal skid plates thick rods, everything is heavy duty.
Old 08-25-19, 07:22 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

I wouldn't blow through snowbanks and have the fun associated with that in a $150k unibody Cayman, though.
I would crawl an LX up a rocky ski slope if I could get away with it, lol.
Right, because you might scratch or dent the paintwork. While the Cayman might not be a rockcrawler, with the proper tires (and given the clearance restrictions), a Cayman (or most other vehicles) will get through most any weather condition.
Old 08-25-19, 10:26 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

While the Cayman might not be a rockcrawler, with the proper tires (and given the clearance restrictions), a Cayman (or most other vehicles) will get through most any weather condition.
...but I'd add not nearly through most unpaved road conditions...and that's not referring to rock crawling.
Old 08-25-19, 12:37 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sad that supposed car guys don't know the difference between a Cayman and a Cayenne.
ubuynow (08-28-19)
Old 08-25-19, 02:22 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Sad that supposed car guys don't know the difference between a Cayman and a Cayenne.
Cayman = Boxter with a roof, Cayenne = Touareg
LS460Crown (09-06-19)
Old 08-25-19, 03:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Right, because you might scratch or dent the paintwork. While the Cayman might not be a rockcrawler, with the proper tires (and given the clearance restrictions), a Cayman (or most other vehicles) will get through most any weather condition.
I would assume the LC/LX has a very robust paint job. Not unscratchable or anything, but probably a lot tougher than most vehicles.

Give me a break.
Old 08-25-19, 03:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

While the Cayman might not be a rockcrawler, with the proper tires (and given the clearance restrictions), a Cayman (or most other vehicles) will get through most any weather condition.
Sure, I mean put the right tires on an AWD sedan even and it would be pretty unstoppable.

I just want more than something to get me through a slick road....I want the full 9, overkill, can't stop it, etc. etc. lol.
Old 08-25-19, 04:10 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Sure, I mean put the right tires on an AWD sedan even and it would be pretty unstoppable.

I just want more than something to get me through a slick road....I want the full 9, overkill, can't stop it, etc. etc. lol.
During snowmageddon (2010?) I drove a 335xi with Michelin X-Ice winters. The day after, I had fun driving around all of the abandoned vehicles on the George Washington Parkway going into DC. To this day, I'm still trying to figure what those people were thinking that abandoned their cars and many were SUVs (probably with the wrong tires).

That taught me two things - tires are everything and tires aren't everything. You also need ground clearance and - in really crappy situations - the drivetrain makes a difference too.

Now that I'm back in a job that requires 24x7 mobility, I'm getting either a GX, LX or LC.
LS460Crown (09-06-19)
Old 08-25-19, 04:24 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

That's not unexpected here...a good percentage of those posting talk about the LX's airbag suspension.

During snowmageddon (2010?) I drove a 335xi with Michelin X-Ice winters. The day after, I had fun driving around all of the abandoned vehicles on the George Washington Parkway going into DC. To this day, I'm still trying to figure what those people were thinking that abandoned their cars and many were SUVs (probably with the wrong tires).

That taught me two things - tires are everything and tires aren't everything. You also need ground clearance and - in really crappy situations - the drivetrain makes a difference too.

Now that I'm back in a job that requires 24x7 mobility, I'm getting either a GX, LX or LC.
Abandoning cars and trucks is common in Texas too.
REDHORSE (08-25-19)
Old 08-25-19, 04:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That does sound like fun. The abandoned SUVs were probably 4x2s, which I'll never in my life understand, makes ZERO sense to me, but that topic has been discussed ad nauseam on here lol. The tires on my Yukon aren't very good and when it did snow here (it never does, so the roads get VERY BAD) I was flooring it uphills, was shocked at the excellent traction. Drivetrain does make a difference, as you say-- you need good torque in the worst situations.

Quick Reply: The End of The Land Cruiser and the LX570