LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

The End of The Land Cruiser and the LX570

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 06:45 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That does sound like fun. The abandoned SUVs were probably 4x2s, which I'll never in my life understand, makes ZERO sense to me, but that topic has been discussed ad nauseam on here lol. The tires on my Yukon aren't very good and when it did snow here (it never does, so the roads get VERY BAD) I was flooring it uphills, was shocked at the excellent traction. Drivetrain does make a difference, as you say-- you need good torque in the worst situations.
Back a zillion years ago, I had just transferred from Germany to Boston. I had just bought a house that had a pretty steep driveway. I'd also just traded my Typhoon and bought a new Yukon. Drove to the house from my rental in a bit of blizzard. I got about half way up the drive when I got stuck - at night - with no furniture in the house. I spent the night on the floor and found a busted shovel in the garage to dig myself out in the morning.

I bought proper tires a few days later.
Old 08-25-19, 10:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

YES!!

Maybe something like this will work? Not too sure about the rest of the car as far as reliability is concerned. Might still get "stuck" in SEVERE WEATHER due to an engine failure (I think the tires will hold up well though)!!

Originally Posted by cb1111
Not quite correct. It really depends on the tires.
Old 08-25-19, 11:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm so excited about getting one of these in the next year. I can't believe I was so set on an Escalade. You have to admit they look about bossier than anything on the road, and that monster V8 will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. And GM does make good trucks. Just, alot of gimmiky stuff will go wrong in a high-end GM vehicle like that. And it won't be cheap to fix.. I have zero qualms about buying a 4-5 year old LX. I bought my LS430 when it was 7 years old and I've just replaced control arm bushings, that's all it's needed in 15 years. (I looked up the service history before buying.)

Escalade is really just not on the level of an LX. You're paying 85k for a Land Cruiser for a reason... Whereas as good as a GM 1500 is, the starting price for the platform is less than half that.
Old 08-26-19, 07:14 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I find in redicoulus that some people put low profile performance tires on their LX's. It might look pretty to some (taste is an individual thing) but to me its akin to putting high profile mud tires on a ferrari. The LX is an extremely reliable and capable SUV no doubt. Its very comfortable too. I swapped my 21" wheels (on my 2017 LX) to the standard 18" Land Cruiser wheels and put Michelin LTX tires on them. Best change I made. Now the car rides extremely quiet and smooth and with those tires i have driven in snow, ice, rain, dirt (yes and on roads too) and they handles all these conditions without missing a beat. But the LX is not perfect. Its a very old design, that's very heavy, has terrible gas mileage, has a small gas tank with only 270 mile range to it, doesn't handle very well on the road and could use upgraded electronics. In other words, it's time for a major redo, not another cosmetic refresh. Land crusiers/LX are huge world wide business for Toyota and I can't see them getting out of this market space when they are clearly in the lead. I too can't wait to see what they will come up next.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ashron:
ClaytonW (08-26-19), LS460Crown (09-06-19)
Old 08-26-19, 05:07 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The 21" wheel/tire set up is more than capable for what 99% of owners will use the truck for and that includes light offload duty and running trails.

As a practical matter the vast majority are not going to take their $90k+ LX mudding so the "offroad" wheel/tire set up are unnecessary; that and the 21's looks exponentially better, understanding that is a subjective opinion.

https://youtu.be/ag09bXibOmE

Last edited by cssnms; 08-26-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 06:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
The 21" wheel/tire set up is more than capable for what 99% of owners will use the truck for and that includes light offload duty and running trails.

As a practical matter the vast majority are not going to take their $90k+ LX mudding so the "offroad" wheel/tire set up are unnecessary; that and the 21's looks exponentially better, understanding that is a subjective opinion.

Another reason I want a '13-15. Those really sharp 20"s have more sidewall, and those 20" rims would look sweet, the whole truck would look sweet, with some beefier off road tires that would raise the vehicle a smidgen. The current one would look ridiculous with beefy tires like that IMO. Looks sharp stock though.
Old 08-26-19, 06:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashron
I find in redicoulus that some people put low profile performance tires on their LX's. It might look pretty to some (taste is an individual thing) but to me its akin to putting high profile mud tires on a ferrari. The LX is an extremely reliable and capable SUV no doubt. Its very comfortable too. I swapped my 21" wheels (on my 2017 LX) to the standard 18" Land Cruiser wheels and put Michelin LTX tires on them. Best change I made. Now the car rides extremely quiet and smooth and with those tires i have driven in snow, ice, rain, dirt (yes and on roads too) and they handles all these conditions without missing a beat.
I did the same swap to 18" Tundra wheel. You're correct on the truck being much quieter.

Thanks for the judgement...guess I'm one of the one-percenters...

Lack of sidewall makes the 21's, imo, obnoxious on trails of any kind, let alone a fire or BLM road with a bit of washboard...more sidewall gives you more comfort A fully loaded 200 series can exceed 4 tons; again, imo, I personally would not use an P-rated tire.

You're definitely correct as to subjective opinions, mine included. ')
The following users liked this post:
LS460Crown (09-06-19)
Old 08-26-19, 07:09 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

I don't agree. The 21's with the skinny sidewalls will ride harsher and will be more prone to damage - not to mention that the tires are far more expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by cb1111:
LS460Crown (09-06-19), REDHORSE (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 06:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by hankinid
I did the same swap to 18" Tundra wheel. You're correct on the truck being much quieter.

Thanks for the judgement...guess I'm one of the one-percenters...

Lack of sidewall makes the 21's, imo, obnoxious on trails of any kind, let alone a fire or BLM road with a bit of washboard...more sidewall gives you more comfort A fully loaded 200 series can exceed 4 tons; again, imo, I personally would not use an P-rated tire.

You're definitely correct as to subjective opinions, mine included. ')
You seem to have taken offence to my observation. I understand and appreciate the benefits of having more tire sidewall, in fact more sidewall improves ride comfort even on road. Lexus offers two wheel/tire packages taking into account customer's needs and wants. Personally, I'll stick with the 21's - for now.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-27-19 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 06:24 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by cb1111
I don't agree. The 21's with the skinny sidewalls will ride harsher and will be more prone to damage - not to mention that the tires are far more expensive.
I am not sure I follow what you are disagreeing with... My statement mentioned nothing of ride comfort or tire expense, the point I raised and what I responded to revolves around the off road capabilities of the 21s and rational behind such big/low profile wheels/tires. Yes the 21's w/lower profile tires will not ride as well as a taller profile tire, ON ANY SURFACE, but that is the trade off with going with the bigger fancier wheels. The taller/lower profile tires do improve the on road handling of the truck. Personally I like the look of the bigger wheels. And yes, generally speaking a "beefier" tire with taller side walls will perform better off road esp under more extreme conditions.

The fact remains the 21's are a very capable wheel and tire set-up on and off road and will meet the needs for the vast majority of the users that purchase the LX, and the off road prowess of these tires can be improved with better tires designed for the task. The video I posted provides evidence as to crawling capability of the truck with the wheel/tire package in question.

I take my Tundra with yes, 19's which were considered big wheels at the time, w/lower profile tires off road in the sand, I drive in snow, slush and mud and they perform perfectly fine. For those that were looking for a more aggressive off road package smaller wheels and tires w/more sidewall were an option, as were the TRD wheel/tire set up. The majority that the throw the lift kits and monster tires on their Tundra's etc do it for looks anyway, but the stock tire/wheel package is more than capable.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-27-19 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 07:28 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

You seem to have taken offence to my observation. I understand and appreciate the benefits of having more tire sidewall, in fact more sidewall improves ride comfort even on road. Lexus offers two wheel/tire packages taking into account customer's needs and wants. Personally, I'll stick with the 21's - for now.
No offense taken. As you pointed out, tire/wheel combinations are subjective. Glad you enjoy your 21's.

I am not sure I follow what you are disagreeing with... My statement mentioned nothing of ride comfort or tire expense, the point I raised and what I responded to revolves around the off road capabilities of the 21s and rational behind such big/low profile wheels/tires. Yes the 21's w/lower profile tires will not ride as well as a taller profile tire, ON ANY SURFACE, but that is the trade off with going with the bigger fancier wheels. The taller/lower profile tires do improve the on road handling of the truck. Personally I like the look of the bigger wheels. And yes, generally speaking a "beefier" tire with taller side walls will perform better off road esp under more extreme conditions.

The fact remains the 21's are a very capable wheel and tire set-up on and off road and will meet the needs for the vast majority of the users that purchase the LX, and the off road prowess of these tires can be improved with better tires designed for the task. The video I posted provides evidence as to crawling capability of the truck with the wheel/tire package in question.
Again, 21" tires don't give you the selection of tires v. 18's, or even 20's.
The following users liked this post:
LS460Crown (09-06-19)
Old 08-27-19, 08:44 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

I take my Tundra with yes, 19's which were considered big wheels at the time, w/lower profile tires off road in the sand, I drive in snow, slush and mud and they perform perfectly fine. For those that were looking for a more aggressive off road package smaller wheels and tires w/more sidewall were an option, as were the TRD wheel/tire set up. The majority that the throw the lift kits and monster tires on their Tundra's etc do it for looks anyway, but the stock tire/wheel package is more than capable.
Sure - if the only driving will be snow and mud on a paved road or a well maintained unpaved public road.

Tirerack shows 4 tires

One of those tires is a summer only tire, so scratch that one for any off-roading. Then there is a snow and ice tire - again for on-road use only. That laves two tires, both all-seasons and neither suitable for real off-roading - they are the same tires that you'd find on a RX or UX. The sidewall on a 275/50/21 is 5.4 inches. The average height of a curb in the US is 6 inches, so you're looking at a greater possibility of "curbing" your wheels. The standard LC tire size 285/60/18 has a 6.6 inch sidewall. Further, there are 18 tire choices, from AS to winter to off-road capable. The Geolandar tires cost $422 each for the 21 inch size but $182 each in the 18 inch.

But yes, the standard tires will do most people well because the most they'll go "off road" is to a grassy parking parking lot at the pumpkin patch in October.
Old 08-27-19, 04:13 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

All that said, the 21's are an attractive wheel and look nice from a proportional standpoint based on the size of the car and cssnms is certainly correct that they're fine for the driving most will do.

Somehow, I've always thought that huge tires on little wheels look a little like this

Regardless of them being capable
Old 08-27-19, 05:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I'd think of saying it looks just ducky, but I think I'll pass...
Old 08-27-19, 05:47 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah, a Cayenne isn't a real truck either. Completely different missions. Tow a 5,000 lb boat for 5 years in a unibody vs BOF, see which one is still standing lol.

IMO, this is what you buy an SUV for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ALNN056F8
Or this

Quick Reply: The End of The Land Cruiser and the LX570