LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Parts Needed to Tow Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 09:07 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parts Needed to Tow Trailer

I have a 2015 LX that did not come with the RV plug needed to get power to a trailer for lights. I've been researching on here, Ih8mud, and called the local Lexus dealership (they were clueless). I still don't have a 100% definitive answer on what i need to buy, or instructions for how install the necessary parts. I'd rather stay with Toyota/Lexus parts if possible unless something else is better. I might be using it quite often if I decide to buy a travel trailer.

Here is what my current setup is on my LX.

The parts guy at Lexus said that I needed to buy the assembly number 82169 and 82666D from the parts picture I've attached to this post labeled "Rear Parts". Both are highlighted in green. The 82169 looks correct to me. He had no idea what 82666D is, and neither do I. A search on Lexuspartsnow only says it is a "Holder connector number 5" with no further details. Btw, the cost for 82169 from Lexus is $257. I also called Lexuspartsnow to inquire about 82169, and they said they couldn't tell me all the items contained in the package. This is starting to frustrate me. Both the Lexus dealership and Lexuspartsnow can't answer what I think is a rather straightforward question.

Someone on Ih8mud said they used this part off eBay and it worked. Looks like it is for a LC. Seems like is should work fine, but when I put in my vehicle specs, it says it does not fit. Not sure if there is any difference between LC and LX connections. Maybe they just say it doesn't fit because it's Toyota branded?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22255390350...true#vi-ilComp
I am really thinking of going the route of the ebay link above because it looks like it includes everything in one package. This is a pic of it. Does it look like anyone else's factory setup?

Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Parts.pdf (408.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-18-19, 04:29 PM
dankesh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go with Hopkins 43910 wiring kit.
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...fic/43910.html
The following users liked this post:
MagnumP45 (09-21-19)
Old 09-18-19, 04:43 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I have a 2015 LX that did not come with the RV plug needed to get power to a trailer for lights. I've been researching on here, Ih8mud, and called the local Lexus dealership (they were clueless). I still don't have a 100% definitive answer on what i need to buy, or instructions for how install the necessary parts. I'd rather stay with Toyota/Lexus parts if possible unless something else is better. I might be using it quite often if I decide to buy a travel trailer.

Someone on Ih8mud said they used this part off eBay and it worked. Looks like it is for a LC. Seems like is should work fine, but when I put in my vehicle specs, it says it does not fit. Not sure if there is any difference between LC and LX connections. Maybe they just say it doesn't fit because it's Toyota branded?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22255390350...true#vi-ilComp
I am really thinking of going the route of the ebay link above because it looks like it includes everything in one package. This is a pic of it. Does it look like anyone else's factory setup?

Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Not surprisingly, but the hook-ups for an LX and Land Cruiser are identical.

What do you plan to use as the brake controller??

Originally Posted by dankesh
You can go with Hopkins 43910 wiring kit.
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...fic/43910.html
You should find this or something similar etrailer.com.
MagnumP45 (09-21-19)
Old 09-18-19, 07:48 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have both a LC and a LX and I am unable to see any difference between the two harnesses. My LX plug has loosened up after a bunch of towing on gravel and I will be getting the Toyota one on eBay to replace it.
MagnumP45 (09-21-19)
Old 09-21-19, 07:23 AM
MagnumP45
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did go with the LC plug off eBay from Manhattan Beach Toyota. It was very cheap ($154) compared to my local dealership. Keep in mind that it doesn’t come with the two bolts. However, I called them after the sale and they threw both bolts in for free.

it was super easy to install. I just unplugged the two dust covers off the plugs on my LX, snapped them in place, and bolted it on with the two bolts.

I don’t have a brake controller yet, but would welcome any recommendations. I’m just starting my search since we are looking at buying a travel trailer for family trips.

Btw, I’m trying to figure out how much weight I should be able to tow safely with my LX. I know it’s rated for 7000lbs, but how much trailer weight should I be looking at realistically? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-21-19, 08:15 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordj
I have both a LC and a LX and I am unable to see any difference between the two harnesses. My LX plug has loosened up after a bunch of towing on gravel and I will be getting the Toyota one on eBay to replace it.
Originally Posted by MagnumP45
I did go with the LC plug off eBay from Manhattan Beach Toyota. It was very cheap ($154) compared to my local dealership. Keep in mind that it doesn’t come with the two bolts. However, I called them after the sale and they threw both bolts in for free.

it was super easy to install. I just unplugged the two dust covers off the plugs on my LX, snapped them in place, and bolted it on with the two bolts.

I don’t have a brake controller yet, but would welcome any recommendations. I’m just starting my search since we are looking at buying a travel trailer for family trips.

Btw, I’m trying to figure out how much weight I should be able to tow safely with my LX. I know it’s rated for 7000lbs, but how much trailer weight should I be looking at realistically? Any suggestions are appreciated.
We recently upgraded from a Kenosha Prodigy to a P3...no issues with either, and I'd recommend not to go cheap. Both controllers came from e-trailer. com. Take a look here... Brake Controller Installation

I tend to go with a trailer weight no more than 75-80% of 7000 lbs., and that's for a horse trailer with 2 large horses.

hth
MagnumP45 (09-21-19)