LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 Height Sensor Issue: Delta 1"+

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 02:26 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default LX570 Height Sensor Issue: Delta 1"+ Leaning

Has anyone experienced a height difference of one or more inch of the rear left height compared to the rear right height? For example, the driver's rear side is measured to the top of the lip of the wheel well at ~34" while the passenger rear wheel well is measured at ~35". From the back view, you can see that the vehicle is tilted or leaning to the driver side. The mud flap heights make it more apparent. Could this be a height sensor problem? The car is parked leveled in the garage.

The fronts measured OK and equal. I am going to take it to the dealership in the middle of next week.

Last edited by Bimmer32; 10-02-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-27-19, 09:38 AM
Sideshow90
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Has anyone experienced a height difference of one or more inch of the rear left height compared to the rear right height? For example, the driver's rear side is measured to the top of the lip of the wheel well at ~34" while the passenger rear wheel well is measured at ~35". From the back view, you can see that the vehicle is tilted or leaning to the driver side. The mud flap heights make it more apparent. Could this be a height sensor problem? The car is parked leveled in the garage.

The fronts measured OK and equal. I am going to take it to the dealership in the middle of next week.
I have a 2011 LX570 and have this problem. I bought it certified pre owned in 2015 and brought it to the dealership to inspect after owning a a few months. Sewell told me it was within the .5" tolerance and was normal, keep in mind it was definitely more than .5". When I moved to NC, I took it to another dealer there and was told the same thing. Finally a couple years later I was able to get it to my friend in CA that is a master tech at Lexus to check it out. He brought it onto an alignment rack and measured all 4 corners. The drivers side was definitely 1 inch lower than the passenger side. At first he played around with the height sensors and adjusting them, that did not do anything but throw off the alignment. Then I read this post on ih8mud where someone had a same issue and finally at a 3rd dealership, they swapped out the height control ECU and bam, the problem was solved. My friend took an height control ecu off another LX570 in their pre owned lot to test and it did in fact fix the issue. However, since nothing was actually broken, the ECU wouldn't be covered under my warranty. Here's the thread for what its worth.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx5....918190/page-2
The following users liked this post:
Bimmer32 (10-02-19)
Old 10-02-19, 02:29 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Thank you for the link. I just got back from the Sterling McCall Lexus @59 and the problem was not fix. The service adviser said it was but clearly not when I got there. Nor did they perform the seat belt recall. What a waste of time with a bunch of incompetent people. I will try Northside Lexus in a couple of weeks. I called Lexus corporate mental line, and they are clueless as usual.
Old 10-08-19, 12:42 PM
rad-man
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you measuring on level ground? I know the AHC system will try to level out any kind of incline/decline. Or is the leveling only performed front to back?
Old 10-10-19, 09:15 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

I measured on level grounds. It is left to right (side to side). Sterling McCall really sucks, and the service advisor have the audacity to ask for 10/10 review? I have no positive words to describe such behavior.
Old 11-24-19, 07:54 AM
tbisaacs
Driver School Candidate

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

This is easily addressable. There is a height control sensor at each corner. You can adjust each corner in your driveway with an 8mm wrench. I adjusted the front of my truck up 1”

The following users liked this post:
kingbabu (12-20-19)
Old 11-25-19, 08:07 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Could you post a DIY on this adjustment? Nice tires on that LX.
Old 11-25-19, 09:20 AM
tbisaacs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Could you post a DIY on this adjustment? Nice tires on that LX.
yep, detailed thread on IH8Mud:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx5...ift-it.971211/
Old 12-20-19, 10:44 AM
kingbabu
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

tire and wheel combo pls and is it rub when u do full lock turn
Old 12-20-19, 10:45 AM
kingbabu
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbisaacs
This is easily addressable. There is a height control sensor at each corner. You can adjust each corner in your driveway with an 8mm wrench. I adjusted the front of my truck up 1”

Old 12-20-19, 08:55 PM
tbisaacs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kingbabu
275/70/r18 cooper stt pros on tundra wheels plus 25mm wheel spacers. Teeny bit of rubbing at full lock.
Old 07-22-20, 03:38 PM
chubunch
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to bump this thread to see if there's an update on the issue. I just picked up a 2020 LX570 and found the same problem as we'll. Right rear is about 35" while left rear is about 34". Front heights are equal.
Old 07-27-20, 02:27 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

In the link above for ih8mud.com, look at post number #332. There's a video for the sensor adjustment. Having said that, I think the root of the problem of leaning is not the adjustments of the sensor. It's the actual accuracy of the AHC system to go from high, low, and normal. My LX measurement varies from 1/2" to 1.25" difference from time to time. I have not adjusted my sensors. That means the AHC leveling will have a tolerance of up to a 1". This is more noticeable in the two rear wheels than in the fronts.

Two Lexus tech have told me that it is within specification for this system. I don't know if this is true while the vehicle is motion. I have over 10K miles and no issue with tire wear. I've noticed this leaning stance on models up to 2020. Long story short, Lexus does not think this is an issue that some of their trucks do lean to one side. Some are more severe than others from time to time.
Old 07-27-20, 04:42 PM
chubunch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update. It is good to hear you haven't found issue with tire wear. I can only hope that means the car did level itself over time when it's moving. I did see the post on ih8mud but I don't think that actually solves anything in our case. My LX measurement varies like yours so even if I had adjusted the sensor, it would have only worked for THAT particular time. Anyway, I really don't understand why my brand new 100k vehicle wouldn't level in the garage. With 1 inch difference, its stance actually looks pretty ridiculous. I plan to take the car to the dealership near me and see what they say about it. I am eager to learn more about how this AHC system actually works.
Old 09-16-20, 05:05 PM
9911C2S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any update on the resolution?
I've been having the same issue on my 2017 where the driver side front is sagging. Taken to 2 different dealerships only to be to told that it's normal. Honestly, just doesnt seem like any technicians are familiar with LX's. Was even told that the driver side "air" suspension is lower to help drivers easy access to the vehicle...wtf

Anyone know a good NJ Lexus dealer who are familiar with LX's? Or even private mechanic?

Quick Reply: LX570 Height Sensor Issue: Delta 1"+