LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Demuro calls LX "$95,000 Disappointment"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 07:23 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Agree with everything you said. The target market for an $85k+ rig to take off-road is very small. Lexus needs to make an even more luxurious LX geared towards the target buyer. I don’t know anyone that wants to pay $85k to take their SUV off-road, but do know plenty of people that would pay $85k or more for the most luxury and best on road manners. The current LX is fine, not great and very dated. That is why they don’t sell many. IMO it is an overpriced dinosaur.
This is why my 2018 was traded for a Porsche Cayenne, and it does go off road. It doesn't go on trails but down the gravel roads and into the pasture and does an excellent job at that plus is more comfortable and has much greater performance on the highway.
Old 10-17-19, 10:25 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
They are not best in class.
Maybe your 20 year old LX that you don't mind knocking around off road is capable.
And your 20 yo LX will maintain a high resale vale (after 20 years it can't go much lower...)
That is a case of reliability & longevity.

But that is not the class that new $100K Luxo SUV's are in.
$100+K luxo SUV's are NOT bought to take wifey one long trek off the beaten track.
LC 200 (Land Cruiser/LX) is designed to go offroad and to go there pretty often. It is a different class. You cannot compare it to SUVs designed for mostly highway driving. I go offroad with my LX quite often and its offroad abilities are one of the main reason I purchased it (new in 2016). I know that many customers do not understand it and buy it as a mall crawler. Fortunately, because without them, LX's sales would be so low that Lexus would not import it in the USA. Some of these customers are then disappointed because they needed a different SUV. But considering its real class, Land Cruiser 200 (and LX) is the best car in the world ever made.
Old 10-18-19, 08:06 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
LC 200 (Land Cruiser/LX) is designed to go offroad and to go there pretty often. It is a different class. You cannot compare it to SUVs designed for mostly highway driving. I go offroad with my LX quite often and its offroad abilities are one of the main reason I purchased it (new in 2016). I know that many customers do not understand it and buy it as a mall crawler. Fortunately, because without them, LX's sales would be so low that Lexus would not import it in the USA. Some of these customers are then disappointed because they needed a different SUV. But considering its real class, Land Cruiser 200 (and LX) is the best car in the world ever made.
Agree

Despite the naysayers, the LX sells, I bought one, could have bought any one of the other options listed at the price point, but found the LX not only more practical, comfortable, capable but more luxurious, never mind there is no comparison in the reliability department.
Old 10-18-19, 08:07 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
They are not best in class.
Maybe your 20 year old LX that you don't mind knocking around off road is capable.
And your 20 yo LX will maintain a high resale vale (after 20 years it can't go much lower...)
That is a case of reliability & longevity.

But that is not the class that new $100K Luxo SUV's are in.
$100+K luxo SUV's are NOT bought to take wifey one long trek off the beaten track.

You buy a 20 year old beater to do that.
(A decent 20 YO LX...)

No one buys a Lincoln Navigator to take off road.
No one buys a Porsche Cayenne to take off road.
No one buys a Maserati Levante to take off road.
No one buys a Cadillac Escalde to take off road.
No one buys a BMW X5M to take off road.
No one buys a BMW X7 xDrive50i to take off road.
No one buys a Land Rover Range Rovers to take off road.

Those are the competitors in class...

Moving higher the same goes for:

Bentley Bentayga,
Porsche Cayenne Turbo,
Mercedes AMG GLS63,
Lambo Urus,
Land Rover Range Rover Autobiography,
Mercedes AMG G65,
RR Cullinan,
Ferrari Puosange

Just like people DO NOT but exotic performance cars to go fast
Ferrar, Lambo, Maserati, Mclaren, Aston Martin, etc.

Those cars will NEVER be pushed to capabilities - they are used for other purposes.

Just like the Luxo SUV's in the $100k+ class are NEVER going to go one a day off road.

And if you think the European Luxo SUV's are not capable...

Then you've never had your butt in a G-wagon, Range Rover, or even Bentayga...off road.
Speaking of butts in seats, what year LX do you own?
Old 10-18-19, 01:41 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Speaking of butts in seats, what year LX do you own?
Nicely done.

The old saw about "opinions" definitely comes to mind.
The following users liked this post:
cssnms (10-18-19)