LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2015 lx570

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 05:50 PM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 lx570

SO I am a retired Toyota tech (10 years) and drive a 08 GX470 with 260,000 km on it.
I am looking at a 2014 LX570 with 120,000 km on it for 43K Canadian.
Can anyone tell me what problems to expect, I have heard nightmare stories on some newer Toyota products like headlight ballasts costing ridiculous money.
I just don't want expensive repairs on a fixed income, hence the reason I am looking at a Lexus in the first place.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-19, 11:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

These don't break that often, but when they do......it's going to cost a pretty penny!

Our current 2013 LX570 (bought new) now with some 42K miles are "good" after a master tech at Lexus dealership found the parasitic electrical drain from the ECU of the center console cooler even after everything is turned off. And the Center diff lock light flashes if we don't use it in "a while"......the actuator get "stuck". All covered under the EXTENDED WARRANTY we bought when new......ONLY "COST" us $100 deductible AND TIME!! I guess could be worse in the several thousand dollars range!!!

Contrast to our old 2000 LX470 (bought new) we traded in back in 2013 with 280K+ miles were ESSENTIALLY problems free!!!

With all the electronics on the newer LX570, More things to go wrong!!!

Originally Posted by majordog
SO I am a retired Toyota tech (10 years) and drive a 08 GX470 with 260,000 km on it.
I am looking at a 2014 LX570 with 120,000 km on it for 43K Canadian.
Can anyone tell me what problems to expect, I have heard nightmare stories on some newer Toyota products like headlight ballasts costing ridiculous money.
I just don't want expensive repairs on a fixed income, hence the reason I am looking at a Lexus in the first place.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by lexusrus; 10-15-19 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 11:24 AM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
These don't break that often, but when they do......it's going to cost a pretty penny!

Our current 2013 LX570 (bought new) now with some 42K miles are "good" after a master tech at Lexus dealership found the parasitic electrical drain from the ECU of the center console cooler even after everything is turned off. And the Center diff lock light flashes if we don't use it in "a while"......the actuator get "stuck". All covered under the EXTENDED WARRANTY we bought when new......ONLY "COST" us $100 deductible AND TIME!! I guess could be worse in the several thousand dollars range!!!

Contrast to our old 2000 LX470 (bought new) we traded in back in 2013 with 280K+ miles were ESSENTIALLY problems free!!!

With all the electronics on the newer LX570, More things to go wrong!!!
Yeah, thats my thinking.
My GX470 has been bullet proof.
I googled headlight replacement on LX570
2-5 grand!!!!
Old 10-16-19, 12:50 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Yeah, thats my thinking.
2-5 grand!!!!
The 200 series, both Land Cruiser and LX, have better initial and long term reliability than the GX, or just about anything else you can find.

I've been here since 2015 and on mud since 2008 and I have yet to see a thread about needing headlamp replacement, other than because of physical damage.
Old 10-16-19, 01:15 PM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
The 200 series, both Land Cruiser and LX, have better initial and long term reliability than the GX, or just about anything else you can find.

I've been here since 2015 and on mud since 2008 and I have yet to see a thread about needing headlamp replacement, other than because of physical damage.
well then I just pulled the trigger on the LX570
Picking it up Saturday.
I had some rodents chew through the wiring harness to the trans on my GX470 (2008) and its a $3500 fix.
Looks like I will be without it for a while.
thanks for the input, you helped me to spend 50 grand, lol
Old 10-16-19, 02:06 PM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

SO I am just checking some stuff.
The 2014 I am looking at comes up a a BASE model when I do a carfax
although it has a heated steering wheel and adaptive cruise control.
I am wondering how I would know if it has the upgraded Mark Levinson 19 spkr sound system with it.
One thing I love about my 08 GX470 is that Mark Levinson sound.
Any way I can know?
The owner doesn't know.
I thought it only came as an option.
Old 10-16-19, 03:29 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I am wondering how I would know if it has the upgraded Mark Levinson 19 spkr sound system with it.
Any way I can know?
The owner doesn't know.
It should say MARK LEVINSON on the radio below the track buttons
The following users liked this post:
majordog (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 04:40 PM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Any way I can know?
The owner doesn't know.
OK, so I found out it is a base model, but has everything I want in upgrades
full Mark Levinson 19 spkr sound system, adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats and the cooler box.
So I have agreed to buy it.
Will keep you posted on the pros and cons I find.
It has had 2 insurance claims, both minor and under $2,000 that showed up in the carfax, so I guess the price is right for what I am getting?
74,000 miles and about $32,500 U.S. for the U.S. people here, (I am in Canada)
Sound like a good deal?
Old 10-16-19, 04:41 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

well then I just pulled the trigger on the LX570
Picking it up Saturday.
I had some rodents chew through the wiring harness to the trans on my GX470 (2008) and its a $3500 fix.
Looks like I will be without it for a while.
thanks for the input, you helped me to spend 50 grand, lol
Congratulations on the new truck. More than a few Japanese vehicles used wire insulation based on soybeans and/or soybean oil...hard to believe.

As to your $50K...in August of 2015 I found a 200 series at a Porsche dealer in Spokane. Talked to internet sales guy on the phone who accepted my offer. Took a 6am flight the next morning, was picked up by the dealer, did around a 2-3 hour test drive, and stopped at the bank on the way back to the dealer. I paid for the truck and drove home. NO complaints with the truck.

Send some pictures when you get the time.
Old 10-16-19, 04:54 PM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations on the new truck. More than a few Japanese vehicles used wire insulation based on soybeans and/or soybean oil...hard to believe.

As to your $50K...in August of 2015 I found a 200 series at a Porsche dealer in Spokane. Talked to internet sales guy on the phone who accepted my offer. Took a 6am flight the next morning, was picked up by the dealer, did around a 2-3 hour test drive, and stopped at the bank on the way back to the dealer. I paid for the truck and drove home. NO complaints with the truck.

Send some pictures when you get the time.
What kind of money did you pay back in 2015?
You must have known what you were looking for to hop on a plane and go get it, LOL!
Do you still have it? any issues?
I am paying 43K Canadian, and we have a 13% sales tax on top of that (robbery) and it has 119K kilometers on it ( roughly 74K miles)
I assume it is the exact same engine I had in my 2016 Tundra.
Here is the link to the ad. https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/...=4_5_5&sprx=-1 although the ad does not do it justice.
I road tested it last Saturday, and love it.
My GX470 is also the best car I have ever owned, and for a 55 year old Toyota mechanic that has owned literally 100's of cars, that says allot.
When I worked for the Toyota dealer I had a 1995 LS400 and it was amazing.
By far the best cars out there for reliability and, resale value.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post

Last edited by majordog; 10-16-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 05:59 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have full/ comprehensive car insurance they will pay for the rodent damage to your wiring harness.
Old 10-16-19, 06:10 PM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
If you have full/ comprehensive car insurance they will pay for the rodent damage to your wiring harness.
I do have full coverage, I will look into that!
I am Canadian but will see if they will play ball, somehow I doubt it.
Thanks!
Old 10-16-19, 07:04 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

In the USA it's a done deal. I've done many insurance claims / repairs for mice & squirrels.
The following users liked this post:
majordog (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 09:02 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

What kind of money did you pay back in 2015?
You must have known what you were looking for to hop on a plane and go get it, LOL!
Do you still have it? any issues?
I am paying 43K Canadian, and we have a 13% sales tax on top of that (robbery) and it has 119K kilometers on it ( roughly 74K miles)
I assume it is the exact same engine I had in my 2016 Tundra.
Here is the link to the ad. https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/...=4_5_5&sprx=-1 although the ad does not do it justice.
I road tested it last Saturday, and love it.
My GX470 is also the best car I have ever owned, and for a 55 year old Toyota mechanic that has owned literally 100's of cars, that says allot.
When I worked for the Toyota dealer I had a 1995 LS400 and it was amazing.
By far the best cars out there for reliability and, resale value.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post
$43K with WA state 3-day paper plate and Idaho registration and licensing all put together.

The drive home took >10 hours due to wildfire smoke and lane closures...interesting in a completely unfamiliar truck. I found the headlight washer switch quickly, and found that radar cruise control is a dumb idea in the mountains. Once I hit the Idaho border, 80+ mph was sweet...~2000 rpm in 6th gear. I've left the "PWR" mode on since I bought it.

The engine has the same displacement as the Tundra, BUT it's assembled entirely in Japan with 100% Japanese parts content...better reliability.

After working as a Toyota mechanic, do you have a back door to TIS/TechStream?

Last edited by hankinid; 10-20-19 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 10:38 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Unless physically hit or something like that. Otherwise just the HID bulb burn out which is "cheaper" than the whole light assembly. The blast might go out too. But these are usually good for "a long time", more like 10+ years. So I think your bet on a LX570 is much better than anything else in the world other than its cousin, the LC.

Yeah, thats my thinking.
2-5 grand!!!!

Quick Reply: 2015 lx570