LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2010 odd noise/ vibration / hum at 2000 rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 09:37 AM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 odd noise/ vibration / hum at 2000 rpm's

I purchased a 2010 LX with 125k miles about 7000 miles ago, and it has been meticulously maintained at the Lexus dealership. The only thing I have noticed is an odd rumble/hum noise at 2000 rpm's, I can feel in my hands and feet. It's not a noticeable noise. It's more like transfer on my hands and feet.

I have revved the engine in neutral to 2000 rpm's, and it will not duplicate. It only happens while driving.

Any recommendations or thoughts?
Old 11-23-19, 08:48 AM
lexusss10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy one- CV joint, either out of balance or bearings going. At 125k miles, that's not unusual. If it's an auto, "never" switch an auto to neutral when in motion- terrible for trans. Good news- the CV joints are mostly easy to replace if you are the least bit handy. Do the brakes at the same time- win/win. Bad news- I only recommend a far more costly OEM (maybe $400'ish vs. $100'ish). I just changed mine with aftermarket- after a few easy, but labor intensive hours later, the new joint was out of balance and had to be swapped out.It did exactly as you described- especially under throttle conditions.

Other potential culprits- #1=CV Joint(s); followed by tire pressure/tire balance, flat spot on tire if not driven in a while; any other suspension components (loose or warn); wheel bearings; very bad alignment, bent frame (previous accidents), stuck brake caliper. Not likely, but engine issue e.g., engine mount of even a bad motor bearing (main or other). In neutral there is not much load, but as you increase load, any imbalance will be felt. Don't just consider the obvious issues e.g., sometimes rattles in the back of the car originate from the front!
The following users liked this post:
caesosa (11-23-19)
Old 11-25-19, 04:46 PM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

The CV joints make sense to me, do you have the part # by chance?
Old 11-25-19, 05:20 PM
lexusss10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL and I'm afraid no. This reminds me of that commercial..."Do you know a good plumber?" Why YES! (; "Great, get me his name, #, availability." ); I'm afraid you would have to research that for your specific car on your own. Be sure to provide your VIN # too. Even on the same year, model, VIN can denote changes. It won't be hard to find. Also, I'm not saying 100% it the CV joint- but good chance. You do want to be sure. If you are not handy, take it to a mechanic first to verify. If you are, this is easily a fun DIY weekend project. Have the mechanic balancing the tires and check all the drive components. This would be my first step before getting involved with the CV joint. If the boot (inside of wheel area) appears ripped and/or that joint noticeably seems loose, then yes, I would replace ASAP. Also, have them check the wheel bearings. For the part, again, I would go OEM- call any Lexus dealer. Even if I had an old part #, it could have been superseded with design updates.
Old 11-25-19, 06:27 PM
Gordj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a ‘08 Landcruiser and I don’t know if it is the same in the LX but there has been a resonance in the truck since it was new. There was much discussion on various forms about this resonance with “cures” varying from changing transfer case to replacing the u joints or the exhaust. If it is a resonance issue like the one in my LC I wouldn’t worry about it. Over 200,000 miles on mine with absolutely no change in the resonance and no indication of anything wearing out. If “resonance” sounds like an apt description I would learn to treat it just like the crawl control noises, after you quit worrying you won’t notice it.
Old 12-28-19, 07:47 AM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

Bingo!
Had the front shocks replaced and that took care of the problem (i hope). During the replacement, everything that could go wrong did, strut tops, link assy, support sub-assy, cushion shocks...also found a lousy caliper, so they replaced the rotors, breaks, and the one busted caliper. Three weeks to get all of the parts and repairs finished, thank god Toyota of Bellevue provided me with a brand new Camry to drive... Merry Christmas to me ($2000)

Old 12-29-19, 06:12 AM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

Got excited before a good test drive!

Unfortunately after driving over a couple of mountain passes yesterday the vibration problem hasn't been solved...
Old 02-20-20, 06:19 AM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

Drain and filled a total of 14qrts of ATF WS fluid, and it made a huge difference; the shifting is much smoother, and my problem is solved...
Old 03-31-20, 06:16 AM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

My ongoing problem is still haunting me!
Self-diagnosis number 21: The original owner of my LX purchased it new with 22-in rims and tires (125k with the 22's on it), any chance that the oversized wheel's could cause the front wheel bearings to go?

Has anyone done there front bearings and would like to share the process?
Old 03-31-20, 09:47 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

DO a road force balance on all 4 tires? If vehicle pulsation only happens while vehicle is in motion at certain speed (or above), it'll be something that's rotating. Also chk bushings on drive shafts.
The following users liked this post:
caesosa (04-03-20)
Old 04-01-20, 07:22 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by GOCOUGSWSU
Self-diagnosis number 21: The original owner of my LX purchased it new with 22-in rims and tires (125k with the 22's on it), any chance that the oversized wheel's could cause the front wheel bearings to go?

Wheels will not make a difference, assuming around the same tire diameter as OEM.

I've not done front wheel bearings on a 200 series...search a little in ih8mud.com.
Old 04-02-20, 08:00 AM
GOCOUGSWSU
10th Gear

Pic of the old wheels and tires....Do you think the 22's with low profile tires could have any effect on the wheel bearings? The new wheel bearings and 39mm socket have been ordered so hopefully, it will help!
Old 04-03-20, 09:59 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GOCOUGSWSU

Mine have a little over 100K, and front bearings are on the list.

Front wheel replacement info from ih8mud.com
Old 04-12-20, 03:59 PM
electro992
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a TSB for this, L-SB-0022-09. Link
Old 04-13-20, 09:57 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by electro992
There is a TSB for this, L-SB-0022-09. Link
...and the process is all over the truck.

Quick Reply: 2010 odd noise/ vibration / hum at 2000 rpm's