LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 A/C drain clogged

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 07:24 AM
brucelx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LX570 A/C drain clogged

After reading dozens of posts on Lexus A/C drain problems, I am surprised that I'm still not getting how to unblock the A/C evaporator drain on a 2010 LX570. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, like so many others, the car smells like my kids left their soccer gear in the car for a month after a tournament in the rain. Seriously, I'm super worried about the health impact to my wife and family being subjected to untold molds and bacteria blowing in their face. Its odd that there is never water drips on the pavement after using the a/c, but also never wet carpet inside. A/C cleaning processes and new charcoal cabin air filters work for about a day, then back to the same smell regardless of using fresh air or recirc.

After following several post instructions, I think I may have found the drain. However, either I'm looking at the wrong part, or the LX570 has a bit different drain setup. Under the car I found a black plastic piece just above the transmission housing near the firewall that you can barely see from the driver's side through the 4wd shaft and wiring. It was an oval about 3" long x 2" wide that was mounted with two 10mm nuts. (sorry I couldn't get a pic) It appeared to be sealed and its shape had a line down the middle with two sealed cavities on either side of the line. (almost like you could 'pinch' it - if you could reach it). I tried all kinds of extension ratchets but couldn't undo the nuts without lowering the transmission.

Was this the A/C drain? Any recommendations on how to unplug it?

Has anyone succeeded in putting a permanent fitting in the a/c housing for regular cleaning of the evaporator (such as BG Frigi-fresh)? Once I get the drain working, would this work to reduce the mold, bacteria, and bad smell?

Thanks kindly for your help.
Old 11-01-19, 08:20 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

This may help...200 Series Evapator Drain Blocked...

The evaporator drain is located near the end of the transmission. BE SURE to set the air input to RECIRC mode BEFORE changing the cabin filter. That means the curtain over the filter is up and NOT down covering your view to the filter.
Old 11-04-19, 06:16 AM
brucelx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evap drain. Black plastic oval with a slit in the center. Driver side in the transmission tunnel

Thanks for the link, though it seems its not a sunroof leak and there is not damp carpet or padding. I'll try to get a remote camera to take a pic of the potential drain location I referenced (above the transmission bell housing at the floor under the A/C area). Hopefully someone has experience with clearing or adding a drain for this LX570.

Last edited by brucelx; 11-09-19 at 11:41 AM.