LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

30K mile service cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 04:03 PM
brywhite
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 30K mile service cost

My local Lexus dealer quoted $613.32 for the 30,000 mile service on my 2016 LX570.

I guess they do the following:

Change oil
Change oil filter
Change air filter
Change cabin filter
Change brake fluid
Inspect brakes & measure rotors
Rotate tires
Add Fuel Injection Cleaner to gas tanks
Visual inspection

When the service advisor quoted the price, I was like, seriously? lol
Does this seem like a fair price? What did you guys pay?
Old 11-01-19, 07:14 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

It's a Lexus. And the price of service at future recommended mile intervals will only go up from this Your service quote seems about right to me, based on my experience with 5 Lexus vehicles. Some Lexus owners save money by having their service done at Toyota dealerships. I've never done this.

It may seem high, and a mechanically savvy owner could do all that you list. I personally would not relish doing the brake fluid change or the tire rotation. The oil filter change isn't quite as straightforward as on any of my other vehicles, but still doable. Luckily, I live only a few miles from my county recycling facility so it's easy to dispose of used oil and brake fluid.

At least you will be able to get a loaner while this service is being done. My BMW and my GM dealer do not provide this - they have car rental company offices on site where you can rent a car for the day.

And, there is the issue of documenting service you perform yourself. with the necessary detail to maintain your car warranty.. Plus, at sale time, any service done elsewhere will not show up in the Lexus computer system, and may have a negative impact on trade-in value.
The following users liked this post:
stevil (11-02-19)
Old 11-02-19, 07:47 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

That's about right (some premium service will run over 1000-2000). Even at Infiniti, 30k service range from 450-2k (in the Bay area).
Old 11-02-19, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds a bit too high. And perhaps needless.

Originally Posted by brywhite
My local Lexus dealer quoted $613.32 for the 30,000 mile service on my 2016 LX570.

Change oil
Change oil filter
Change air filter
Do it yourself, takes less than 2 minutes.
Change cabin filter
Do it yourself, takes less than 2 minutes, all you have to do is change the cartridge in the glove compartment
Change brake fluid
Not needed on Land Cruiser but on LX at same mile or time interval. Total scam
Rotate tires
Not mentioned in the owners manual. TOTAL scam
Visual inspection
WTF is this even? Total scam

Old 11-02-19, 05:41 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Change oil
Change oil filter

Change air filter
Change cabin filter

Change brake fluid
Rotate tires
Visual inspection

Stuff in red is required. Brake fluid is time based (very 3 years IIRC). Stuff in blue you can/should do yourself because the dealer will screw it up and probably break the recirc door when changing the cabin filter. Look it up on youtube so you can see how easy it is to change the filters. You might need to wash your hands thereafter.

The brake and visual inspection should be part of the courtesy multi-point inspection. The fuel injector cleaner is ADP (additional dealer profit), is useless and not recommended by Lexus.

Be careful what you ask for for servicing at the dealer. Check your owner's manual carefully for what is required, what you can do yourself and what you want the dealer to do. Then ask the dealer what (in this case) an oil change, brake flush and tire rotation costs. I think you'll find the oil change is $80, the brake flush $150 and the tire rotation $20 - so $250. Add $30 for the two filters on Amazon and you're at $270
Hunter4 (11-21-19)
Old 11-02-19, 08:26 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Change oil
Change oil filter
Change air filter
Change cabin filter
Change brake fluid
Rotate tires
Visual inspection

Oil change, filters, brake fluid and tire rotation can be taken care of at a reputable Indy shop with OEM parts for around $300 (if not less).

Get a courtesy paper funnel from your local gas station and here’s your fuel system cleaner:
Amazon Amazon

And dealerships legally cannot void your warranty for taking your car for service elsewhere or servicing yourself. Google Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
2013lx570 (11-19-19)
Old 11-03-19, 09:36 AM
stevil
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...LX-570-WSG.pdf

page 51 shows what it entails.

$600 doesn't seem bad if it is done at a dealer. I feel like I paid more for my RX in 2010. They will also record it in the service history. Good for resale value IMO. My 30k is next for my 16 LX but it’s “free” because it’s L certified.

Last edited by stevil; 11-03-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-03-19, 12:22 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would try to find an independent shop who knows the 200 Series LX's. I found an independent Toyota / Lexus specialty shop in Denver that I trust and paid $677 for the full 90K service which includes a lot more than the 30K service. Another reason for going independent shop is I knew I wanted the AT Fluid changed at 90K and the dealer said they would not do it.
I bought my LX with 84K miles.

Last edited by LX5280; 11-04-19 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-03-19, 02:50 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Default I'd agree with the indy shop...

...after all, that's where master tech's go once they hit the ceiling working for a dealer.

I use LTS Motors in Boise. There's more knowledge there than at the 2 local dealers combined. They've got no issues in using my parts, as long as they're in a bag with a Lexus or Toyota parts label.

Last edited by hankinid; 11-05-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-05-19, 07:12 PM
wasupdu
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's $400 for an oil change according to my dealer for the Macan and Cayman (each). I would never pay that, so I've learned how to do it in 45-60 minutes with A LOT of downtime. The Lexus dealer charges about $100 for the LX with synthetic oil, but it's still an incredibly easy DIY if you have 30 mins.
Old 11-06-19, 03:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Total ripoff, pass. If you live in a decent size city there will be a decent Lexus Indy.
Old 11-08-19, 06:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If you trade it in, it really does not matter bc they will check your car out to make sure all are ok and STILL low ball you. If you had services done elsewhere OR even if you do the services yourself it will suffice PROVIDED you have good documentation. Probably it will matter if you are selling private party but still the EXTRA money you spent at the dealer will not be "recoverable" to any significant extent.

I do a lot of simple maintenance services myself, like oil changes, I take multiple pictures of EVERYTHING including the oil jugs I'm putting in, new/old oil filters, odometer reading, and receipts. I take the pics with my cellphone and with GPS time stamped and then I email the pics to myself and get time stamped again. Actually I enjoy working on my own vehicles. Some will say my time is worth more than the time I spend on working on my own vehicles, but it's something I enjoy doing. So it's all good.

I take the used oil to one of the chain auto parts stores or Walmart. They CAN NOT refuse bc (at least in CA) you've already paid for recycling fee when you bought the oil. Sometimes if their "containers" are FULL, then they can't do it. This is VERY rare and had only occurred one time in the many years that I've been changing my own oil.

Also since LX570 is already higher than a typical car, changing oil is not too hard. No need for a Jack (put the LX height at "H"). Just need to remove the "panels" under the car.

Originally Posted by stevil
https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...LX-570-WSG.pdf

page 51 shows what it entails.

$600 doesn't seem bad if it is done at a dealer. I feel like I paid more for my RX in 2010. They will also record it in the service history. Good for resale value IMO. My 30k is next for my 16 LX but it’s “free” because it’s L certified.
Old 11-08-19, 08:26 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
If you trade it in, it really does not matter bc they will check your car out to make sure all are ok and STILL low ball you. If you had services done elsewhere OR even if you do the services yourself it will suffice PROVIDED you have good documentation.
You can always tell the dealer that's lowballing to FO (maybe in nicer terms) and just leave. Bet you $100 bucks they will up their price for your trade before you get out the door. It's worked for me several times.
Old 11-08-19, 11:09 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Change oil
Change oil filter
Change air filter
Change cabin filter
Change brake fluid
Rotate tires
Visual inspection

Park Place Lexus in Dallas did this (except the air and cabin filter - I did that myself) for $385.
Old 11-09-19, 07:56 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I know. I usually get higher for selling private party. Takes time though.

Also when buying at the dealer, it is always better to NOT bring up any trades UNTIL the FINAL selling price is set with the vehicle you want to buy.

It's a FUZZY math game.

Originally Posted by AJT123
You can always tell the dealer that's lowballing to FO (maybe in nicer terms) and just leave. Bet you $100 bucks they will up their price for your trade before you get out the door. It's worked for me several times.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-09-19 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 30K mile service cost