LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX vs. LC

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 04:18 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default LX vs. LC

I am currently looking at trading in my current vehicle for either a LX 570 or a Landcruiser. I was just wondering if anybody on the forum cross shopped the 2 vehicles, and if you did what was your opinion ?

After doing my personal research I believe the LX offers the following options that the Landcruiser does not : 1) adjustable suspension 2) AHC 3) real wood and real leather 4) LED head lights. 5) mark Levinson radio 6) heads up display.

The Landcruiser offers : 1) better ground clearance 2) better approach and departure angles 3) 18 inch wheels and tires - better for off roading and snow. 4) Depreciates much less- hold it's market value better. 5) Usually cheaper, if you are comparing both vehicles with 3 rows of seating.

Is there anything I missed ? The other question I have is if you buy a LX with 2 rows only, can you still get Heads up display , mark Levinson radio, and ice box in the center console ?

And does the AHC actually improve ground clearance and approach and departure angles, or does it just lift the body ?

Thank You.
Old 01-21-20, 04:39 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

On the LX, 1 and 2 are the same. Not sure if you are looking at new or used but I believe the LC now comes with AHC.
If looking used, LXs seem to be cheaper than LCs of the same year and mileage as there are a lot more of them (with the benefit of never being off-road in most cases)
The following 2 users liked this post by Ratchey:
caesosa (01-22-20), Ftcgsf (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 04:44 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ratchey
On the LX, 1 and 2 are the same. Not sure if you are looking at new or used but I believe the LC now comes with AHC.
If looking used, LXs seem to be cheaper than LCs of the same year and mileage as there are a lot more of them (with the benefit of never being off-road in most cases)
Thank you. What year did the LC start getting AHC. And what did you mean by " on the LX , 1 and 2 are the same ? ".

Thanks.
Old 01-21-20, 04:47 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf
Thank you. What year did the LC start getting AHC. And what did you mean by " on the LX , 1 and 2 are the same ? ".

Thanks.
I want to say around 2017 but am not positive.
1) adjustable suspension 2) AHC. They are the same thing. AHC (Active Height Control) is both automatically and manually adjustable.
The following users liked this post:
Ftcgsf (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 04:50 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

I want to say around 2017 but am not positive.
1) adjustable suspension 2) AHC. They are the same thing. AHC (Active Height Control) is both automatically and manually adjustable.
Thank you. I meant being able to go from sport mode to eco mode when driving- adjustable suspension.
Old 01-21-20, 05:13 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

I am currently looking at trading in my current vehicle for either a LX 570 or a Landcruiser. I was just wondering if anybody on the forum cross shopped the 2 vehicles, and if you did what was your opinion ?
I found a better deal on a Land Cruiser...flew out to get it and drove it home. I'd test driven an LX and even on 'sport' mode, the truck handled like a boat...it was also black, which doesn't work in an agricultural area and is nonsense in the summer and a pita to keep clean

After doing my personal research I believe the LX offers the following options that the Landcruiser does not : 1) adjustable suspension 2) AHC 3) real wood and real leather 4) LED head lights. 5) mark Levinson radio 6) heads up display.

The adjustable suspension is called AHC for "Automatic Height Control". The LX has real wood, the Land Cruiser has leather on the seats' seating area...not sure about the back. Both trucks have LED head and parking lights in current new trucks. My Land Cruiser is a '13, with halogen headlights and oem ballasts, and led parking lamps. I prefer halogen for high and low beams given I drive a lot on 2 lane roads with few if any street lamps. Not sure about the sound systems, but wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me either way.

The Landcruiser offers : 1) better ground clearance 2) better approach and departure angles 3) 18 inch wheels and tires - better for off roading and snow. 4) Depreciates much less- hold it's market value better. 5) Usually cheaper, if you are comparing both vehicles with 3 rows of seating. If you're curious about options, check Toyota or Lexus websites in the "build your own" pages. Not sure if you're looking at a new or used truck

Is there anything I missed ? The other question I have is if you buy a LX with 2 rows only, can you still get Heads up display , mark Levinson radio, and ice box in the center console ?

Lexus.com..."build it" section.

And does the AHC actually improve ground clearance and approach and departure angles, or does it just lift the body ?

AHC raises or lowers the body and frame in relation to the ground. That obviously improves ground clearance and app and depending angles. Lexus website has the lowdown.

AHC is available in other parts of the world on a Cruiser, but not in the North American market.

In the US, Cruisers had AHC in '06 and '07 only for North American trucks. See my first post here for 1 and 2 are the same.

Thank you. I meant being able to go from sport mode to eco mode when driving- adjustable suspension.
Sport mode refers to handling qualities, eco mode refers to acceleration and transmission shift and lockup rpm's...different animals. Either or both can be changed while in motion.
Ftcgsf (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 05:22 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hankinid
AHC is available in other parts of the world on a Cruiser, but not in the North American market.

Sport mode refers to handling qualities, eco mode refers to acceleration and transmission shift and lockup rpm's...different animals. Either or both can be changed while in motion.
excellent info ! Thank You.
Old 01-21-20, 05:54 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

One more difference: LX 570 (2016 or later) offers full speed adaptive cruise control while LC has an adaptive cruise control which disables at speeds below 25 mph. It's quite an important difference.
Ftcgsf (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 06:16 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
One more difference: LX 570 (2016 or later) offers full speed adaptive cruise control while LC has an adaptive cruise control which disables at speeds below 25 mph. It's quite an important difference.
Thank you. I am looking at used 2018. Going to be trading in my Ford Raptor. I really love the Raptor. No complaints, great truck. I just like the build quality of the LX better. I guess I'm getting old ( haha).

The other issue that bothers me is Ford Raptors used to hold their value very well, as good as a tacoma, until 2019 - my year, when ford overproduced the truck and flooded the market. Now dealers are giving them away, $ 5000.00 to $ 10,000.00 under MSRP. 1 year ago you would be lucky to buy one at MSRP. Typical of the big 3 - GREED !
Old 01-22-20, 11:14 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thank you. I am looking at used 2018. Going to be trading in my Ford Raptor. I really love the Raptor. No complaints, great truck. I just like the build quality of the LX better. I guess I'm getting old ( haha).

The other issue that bothers me is Ford Raptors used to hold their value very well, as good as a tacoma, until 2019 - my year, when ford overproduced the truck and flooded the market. Now dealers are giving them away, $ 5000.00 to $ 10,000.00 under MSRP. 1 year ago you would be lucky to buy one at MSRP. Typical of the big 3 - GREED !
Saw your other post and I was thinking you wouldn't hurt as much on the resale value of the Raptor but guess I was wrong! Yes - the Big 3 will usually flood the market....

To the LX/LC conversation, there simply are more used LX's in the marketplace so the reason I went with my 16 LX was because of price & availability. Wish the LC/LX had more 3rd row legroom (and 2nd row as well, actually) for my tall kids, but you can't go wrong with either.
LC = cheaper maintenance, (IMHO) better ride with the 18" tires
LX = more features, quieter ride

Last edited by Wandl; 01-22-20 at 11:32 AM.
Ftcgsf (01-23-20)