LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Windshield crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20 | 08:23 AM
drich2905
Driver

Default Windshield crack

Just wanted some advice from the group. Got my first rock missile to the windshield on my 2014 LX yesterday and the crack is getting worse every day.

I've heard to always get a Lexus branded windshield and does it matter if I go to the dealership or a good reputable glass installer in town ( I'm 2 hrs from closest dealership)?

My deductible is $500 and I don't want any horror stories on my end so please offer suggestions of what to watch our for and how you would proceed.

Thanks

Last edited by drich2905; 01-29-20 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-29-20 | 08:44 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drich2905
Just wanted some advice from the group. Got my first rock missile to the windshield on my 2014 LX yesterday and the crack is getting worse every day.

I've heard to always get a Lexus branded windshield and does it matter if I go to the dealership or a good reputable glass installer in town ( I'm 2 hrs from closest dealership)?

My deductible is $500 and I don't want any horror stories on my end so please offer suggestions of what to watch our for and how you would proceed.

Thanks
My glass insurance typically defaults to Safelite, but when they came out years ago to fix our LX, the installer noted he'd never done one before and I politely passed.

I simply called the local Toyota/Lexus dealer and asked who did their glass. Turns out it's a neighbor about a mile from me. He also does MBZ, Porsche, etc. Insurance covered all but $200 which I paid in cash. He did a fantastic detail-oriented job. If you're insisting on an oem windshield, make sure the glass label says "Lexus". You're not obligated to have your truck at the dealership...my installer simply waits for a warm day and does the installation on the driveway.

Things to watch for are wire connections for the wiper de-icer, and you'll probably need a new sensor for the automatic windshield wipers.

hth
Old 01-29-20 | 03:28 PM
drich2905
Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
My glass insurance typically defaults to Safelite, but when they came out years ago to fix our LX, the installer noted he'd never done one before and I politely passed.

I simply called the local Toyota/Lexus dealer and asked who did their glass. Turns out it's a neighbor about a mile from me. He also does MBZ, Porsche, etc. Insurance covered all but $200 which I paid in cash. He did a fantastic detail-oriented job. If you're insisting on an oem windshield, make sure the glass label says "Lexus". You're not obligated to have your truck at the dealership...my installer simply waits for a warm day and does the installation on the driveway.

Things to watch for are wire connections for the wiper de-icer, and you'll probably need a new sensor for the automatic windshield wipers.

hth
Is there any reason why I should request an OEM windshield?
Old 01-29-20 | 04:37 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Is there any reason why I should request an OEM windshield?
Thicker glass, and some hud settings may need calibration.
Old 01-29-20 | 04:40 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Some insurance companies cover it with even lower deductibles all the way down to $0. Windshield deductible is separate and different than collision deductible. Talk to your insurance company first!! There's a good chance there are no aftermarket windshields, this is a high end Lexus and nothing but OEM available. As mentioned, many glass installers will come to you at home or work to do the job. If OEM vs aftermarket becomes an issue, go by cost to you. You may find OEM is CRAZY expensive. Good luck.
BTW, you may have a heating element in the glass near the wiper blades. Be sure the new glass has it if the old one does.
Old 01-29-20 | 05:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swfla
BTW, you may have a heating element in the glass near the wiper blades. Be sure the new glass has it if the old one does.
I'd respond by saying you DO have two heating elements in the windshield...on the bottom on each side. It's not a matter of if, OP's MY is a 2014.
Old 01-29-20 | 06:20 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hankinid
I'd respond by saying you DO have two heating elements in the windshield...on the bottom on each side. It's not a matter of if, OP's MY is a 2014.
Thanks for clarifying. Perfect reason for OEM. Sometimes, aftermarket glass doesn't have this feature. Also if you have HUD, another reason. OP, let us know the outcome so others can learn from your situation. Thanks
Old 01-30-20 | 09:19 AM
drich2905
Driver

Thanks everyone, I'll post what happens
Old 01-31-20 | 08:49 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Don't forget new wiper blades on that smooth new glass!
Old 02-02-20 | 08:55 AM
pkim1078
Pit Crew

Yeah like others said check your insurance first. We have windshield protection so we only had to pay $100 deductible for a $3200 windshield (oem) at the dealer, which includes calibration. We did this a few months ago. Everything went through with our insurance. This is for a 2016 LX.
Old 02-03-20 | 12:06 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

There are lots of stories of LX's and Land Cruisers having non-OEM glass replacement ending up with water leaks. I would push your insurance really hard to get OEM glass in your vehicle. And it is always better to go with an independent instead of Safelite. They have screwed up too many of my cars with their "repairs", breaking trim clips and not replacing them.
Old 02-09-20 | 06:01 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone, I'll post what happens
How did it turn out?
Old 03-04-20 | 10:26 AM
drich2905
Driver

Default Update on windshield

The new windshield is finally in place. The installer was an independent glass auto guy but the one my body shop recommended. He came to the house and did a great job, it took about an hour.

As suggested I double checked my State Farm policy and I didn't have a windshield clause so we had to run it through collision with $500 deductible. I did get the glass guy to price a Lexus branded windshield which was a $1000 more. I was not willing to pay $1500 out of pocket so we stayed with the brand the installer recommended and he will stand behind everything.

During the install he did replace the pad. For the rain sensing part and also put some new trim pieces instead of installing some of the old ones. I didn't pay attention to which ones so I'm not sure.

I think the total windshield was about $1000 with my paying my $500 and the insurance company picking up about $400 which was a contract price for State Farm.

Old 03-04-20 | 02:04 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Sounds like it turned out OK. But you did a great job of checking all the possibilities and that should be a good feeling.
Old 03-04-20 | 09:25 PM
grabber2
Racer

My windshield on the LX was hit by a rock on hwy that had a similar crack like OP. Just replaced it last week with aftermarket AP Tech windshield in the independent shop for $350 total. It was a better choice for me than through my $500 deductible insurance.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack