Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 08:16 AM
baktasht
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Tesla Style Headunit for LX570

Ordered one of the Tesla style full headunits:

https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com...e0490009&_ss=r

Didn't take long to install. Split screen works really well once you get the hang of it. Both Waze and Google Maps work great. I have my Pandora & Youtube Music apps on there and they are working well too.

The built-in inclinometer and angle/tilt sensor today. It actually works really well.

Quick photo of the Air Conditioning (AC) controls:

Here's where I'm at so far with it:

The good:
* the interfaces is easy to use, laid out really well and works great
* The unit is very responsive, definitely takes full advantage of the CPU & RAM
* All of my favorite apps work so far. Waze, Youtube Music, Pandora, Google Maps, etc...
* The AC controls all work perfectly. I was very surprised actually that it all worked so well
* Installation was very straight forward and fairly easy
* There is a lot of built in options for adjustments
* GPS picks up fast and is very accurate
* Bluetooth phone conversations are clear, sound better than the OEM Lexus system did. You can use either the built in mic, or they also included an auxiliary mic that you can locate wherever you want. I tried both and the person on the other end heard me better with the auxiliary mic. So I am using the auxiliary mic. I'll post pics of where mounted it.
* It reads your speed and RPM that you can have it display. Pretty neat
* It also reads the temperature from the car's outside temp sensor and can display it. That's a nice touch

The bad (but I think mostly fixable):
* The OEM rear/front/side camera don't hook right into the new head units harnesses. I have to figure out which wires they are, splice an RCA connector on there, make sure the OEM camera ECU is getting the power & signals it needs to turn the cameras on and connect them to the new head unit. I think it's doable based on what I've found so far in the wiring diagrams, just have to find time to tackle it. It's odd, because the interface has options to view the cameras, but the harness they include has nowhere for the OEM cameras to plug into. I'm hoping I can get it to work, should have time to tinker with it in a couple weeks.
* The OEM rear flip down monitor doesn't plug into the new head units harnesses. Not sure if this one will work or not. Worst case I may have to ditch the OEM flip down monitor and either remove it completely or replace it with an aftermarket unit that will work with the new head unit.
* The harness on the new headunit has a plug for the OEM radio antenna wires to plug into. It's definitely a Lexus/Toyota plug, but not the same as my radio antenna plugs on my 2009 LX. So maybe other years have a different antenna plug than the 2009? Not sure. But either way its an easy fix with a $10 adapter that I ordered. That should be in next week, easy fix

Overall, I think it was a good purchase and am happy with it. With a few little fixes I think it'll be great
The following 6 users liked this post by baktasht:
Chauffeur (03-16-20), hzhao (10-19-20), Kev08LX (07-16-21), UncleL68 (03-25-20), wae486 (03-10-20), XscpdTexan (06-23-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-20, 08:18 AM
baktasht
Pit Crew

Ended up getting a aftermarket widescreen flip down monitor to replace the factory one. Also got a 360 degree camera system to replace the factory system. I highly recommend both, they are much better than the OEM setup, and are well worth it.

- 15.6" 4k Flipdown TV can be purchased here:
https://amzn.to/2nbd5f6

- 360 degree camera system can be purchased here:
https://amzn.to/2lCyldv

The following users liked this post:
wae486 (03-10-20)
Old 03-02-20, 08:18 AM
baktasht
Pit Crew

Full video review of the Tesla style headunit:

Last edited by baktasht; 01-23-22 at 08:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by baktasht:
hzhao (10-19-20), UncleL68 (03-25-20), wae486 (03-10-20)
Old 03-02-20, 08:19 AM
baktasht
Pit Crew

Also a quick video review of using an OBDII/OBD2 bluetooth adapter with a free app on the new headunit. Gets you the full "experience" of an advanced trip computer that you would get on most new cars:

Last edited by baktasht; 01-23-22 at 08:34 PM.
wae486 (03-10-20)
Old 03-16-20, 12:36 PM
Chauffeur
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job. Was surprised at the cost. Much less expensive than I expected.

Just curious... How's the audio sound compared to Mark Levinson?
The following 3 users liked this post by Chauffeur:
UncleL68 (03-25-20), XscpdTexan (06-23-21), zuma (05-26-21)
Old 10-17-20, 01:43 PM
TXLEX01
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Baktasht,
Checking-in to see if you are still liking the Android unit. I have a 15 LX570 and I'm thinking of getting the screen too . My vehicle has the OEM rear, front and right side camera (no left side..not sure why). Can you confirm if the OEM cameras will work with the unit or do i need to buy the 360 aftermarket camera like you did. Did you have to screw into your side mirrors to install? Besides the monitor and maybe the 360 camera, do i need to buy any other accessories to get functionality. I have the headrest dvd monitors. Where did you get your unit installed? I appreciate your help.
XscpdTexan (06-23-21)
Old 10-17-20, 09:19 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I wanted to replaced the OEM screen w/ this large screen but still hesitate because I want to keep utilizing the factory front/side/rear camera especially the front camera ( when slow down) will automatically start displaying images. It would be great if the factory cameras can continue to 'plug and play' w/ the Tesla head unit. Can you show more in depth of the aftermarket 360 camera installation?
XscpdTexan (06-23-21)
Old 06-23-21, 09:05 PM
XscpdTexan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for taking the time

Really cool unit. Any regrets or gotchas you’d recommend someone like me with an 08 LX570 consider? Did you mount your aftermarket cameras in the same locations as the OEM, particularly in front? I’m considering relocating the front OEM camera anyway to allow for a bullnose grill/skid plate on the front of mine and have hesitated buying the grill protector b/c I’d lose the front camera, and the camera is very useful and would be even more so if it were of better quality. Also, did you have to give up the Mark Levinson Reference Sound or was that not already inclusive of your OEM setup? My 08 has the Levinson and sounds great don’t want to jack around with any of that. Thanks for your vids and advice!
Old 06-24-21, 01:30 PM
TXLEX01
Driver School Candidate

I've had the unit for about 8 months and it has worked perfectly so far. I changed the factory cameras (2015 LX) to the 360 camera and it works like the factory and even looks better. Sound system still works and is slightly more tuned due to the more robust user settings.

Last edited by TXLEX01; 06-24-21 at 01:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXLEX01:
Kev08LX (07-16-21), XscpdTexan (06-24-21)
Old 06-24-21, 03:06 PM
XscpdTexan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks txlex01. Like the pics. Did your lx570 have the mark levinson surround sound upgrade or the the base system? I’m trying to find out if this will work with the Levinson without ruining the sound system but no one seems to know for sure. Haven’t gotten a response from Phoenix Electronics yet either. Thanks for your post and your pics.
Old 06-24-21, 03:19 PM
TXLEX01
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have the Levinson surround and it works with the Tesla style unit with no issue. Only thing is you have to play with the settings during set-up to get everything to sound how you like but it works perfectly.
XscpdTexan (06-24-21)
Old 06-24-21, 04:57 PM
XscpdTexan
Driver School Candidate

Nice! Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-16-21, 06:13 AM
Kev08LX
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

@TXLEX01 I too bought the tesla unit, have you noted occasional act up on these unit? For example: the system auto switch from Youtube to Video.
I misplayed the manual, can you help me with the Master code to the Advance Setting menu?
Nice front grill there buddy. How is the fitment ? I have been watching that mod for some time but I afraid of these aftermarket parts. I bought the fog covers like yours but the fitment was so bad, I went back to the stock chrome pieces (I tried 2 sets).

everytime I look at a black LX, I doubt my decision picking up the Silver

Last edited by Kev08LX; 07-16-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 03:15 AM
TXLEX01
Driver School Candidate

Every once in a while, I've noticed the unit can randomly reboot or video player can randomly shut down but this isn't too different than some of the random stops I've seen with other Android devices.. There is a Facebook group called Tesla Style Firmware and Headunits that is very helpful and if you search the page, you can find almost every answer about the screen.
The aftermarket grille and fog light cover have held up well and I haven't had any issues. I went to a body shop that specializes in aftermarket mods to install, so not sure if that makes a difference.
Kev08LX (07-23-21)
Old 07-23-21, 06:44 PM
Kev08LX
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thankyou sir for pointing me to the right direction. I certainly can make great use of that Fb group.
A little off topic, I think your blackout truck would benefit greatly with a pair of retrofitted headlight. They really modernize the look of the older LX. Their startup dance sequence is such a head turner. I have them for 1 year now and I still love these headlights. I bought a backup set because I cant see myself going back to the OEMs.

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Headunit for LX570