LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2016 LX570 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 07:47 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 2016 LX570 Transmission Problem

I recalled someone with the latest gen. LX having transmission problem. I guess it is my turn, but I could not find the related thread. Basically, on cold starts, I would shift into Drive and drive up to the Stop sign. Stop for about 5 to 10 seconds and gave it some gas as a normal departure. Upon departure, I feel and hear a thump from the bottom of the car as if someone bumped me from behind or something in the car slid and hit the back of the car. It is as if the tranny disengaged at the stop sign and slow to react after the engine rpm has increased. It only happens at departure.

Also a few weeks ago, I was towing a boom lift weighing about 4500 lbs. Everything is normal until I reach 35-43 mph. The car starts to jerk back and forth every time I gave it some gas. While coast not problem. Also, the thump on departure into first gear was also very noticeable.

The car is currently at Sterling McCall dealer, and they checked everything without issues. Nothing loose inside, and the spare tire is tight. Does anyone have similar issue or have other recommendation for the dealer to check out?

Last edited by Bimmer32; 03-09-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 10:41 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 361 Posts

Have dealer check Lexus TSB #L-SB-0118-17...all I could find on transmission tsb's for a 2016.

Last edited by hankinid; 03-09-20 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 03:11 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I will have to come in tomorrow and test drive it with their technician. I don't have much hope. In the worst case, they will come back and say it is to spec.That is such a lame excuse that I hear from the dealer service team.
Old 03-26-20, 02:10 PM
AlexDr15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the TB code should fix the issue.. I was having the same problem in 1-2 shifting and they updated the transmission ecu. Everything seems fine now. I hope it works for you.
Old 03-27-20, 09:26 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

For what its worth, I had the TSB done and it improved but still noticeable.
Old 04-23-20, 02:23 AM
Pazorell83
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed the same glitch during cold days, I've been using the M mode and manually shifting during those times, I'll be also looking into the tsb and get it fixed.
Old 04-11-22, 09:48 AM
jimmy1507
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
I recalled someone with the latest gen. LX having transmission problem. I guess it is my turn, but I could not find the related thread. Basically, on cold starts, I would shift into Drive and drive up to the Stop sign. Stop for about 5 to 10 seconds and gave it some gas as a normal departure. Upon departure, I feel and hear a thump from the bottom of the car as if someone bumped me from behind or something in the car slid and hit the back of the car. It is as if the tranny disengaged at the stop sign and slow to react after the engine rpm has increased. It only happens at departure.

Also a few weeks ago, I was towing a boom lift weighing about 4500 lbs. Everything is normal until I reach 35-43 mph. The car starts to jerk back and forth every time I gave it some gas. While coast not problem. Also, the thump on departure into first gear was also very noticeable.

The car is currently at Sterling McCall dealer, and they checked everything without issues. Nothing loose inside, and the spare tire is tight. Does anyone have similar issue or have other recommendation for the dealer to check out?
Hello. Please let me know if you have solved this problem. My car is also having the same problem as you described.
Old 05-09-22, 10:55 AM
jimmy1507
3rd Gear

Default Uppp

I am suffering with this problem, my car is having the same problem as yours. but don't know how to fix it. Pls help me

Last edited by jimmy1507; 05-09-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-16-22, 09:57 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

if your car is out of warranty like mine, I would look into the TSB and see if the dealer will do something about it. In my experience only, Toyota dealers in the city of Houston suck when it comes to troubleshooting issue such as this. Others may have better luck. The bottom line is; you have the issue and it has been confirmed with hit and miss solutions based on the experiences discussed here. I put mine in manual mode for the limited towing that I do.

But here's my rant (stop reading if you wish). Lexus isn't the company of the 1990s any more. If I were to get another SUV, it would not be a Lexus unless the services where I live improves.
Old 11-17-22, 09:48 AM
RebootIS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having the same issue. Anyone gotten this "thunk" fixed and care to share what it was? My ECU is updated to the latest available software.
Old 11-21-22, 10:00 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

No sure how many miles you put on your truck. If not a lot, just keep driving it, and drive it harder. Don't baby it. Give it some gas. I tthink some issues will iron itself out over time with more use. My transmission does have that problem any more. I think the tranny takes some time to warm up operating temperature, and make sure it goes through the gears. I'll exercise the gears manually, and when I put back into auto mode, it seems to be a little better. This may not work for you, but it 's worth a shot.

Last edited by Bimmer32; 11-21-22 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-23-22, 09:58 AM
RebootIS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to share an update with you guys from the dealership today. They had their top tech look at my car for the "thunk" and he thinks it may be the drive shaft binding up. Here's a cool video from the tech from my car and what he did to possibly fix it:

I'll let you know if this fixes the issue once I pick up the car later on.
The following users liked this post:
islandbeef (11-23-22)
Old 11-23-22, 02:02 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RebootIS
Just wanted to share an update with you guys from the dealership today. They had their top tech look at my car for the "thunk" and he thinks it may be the drive shaft binding up. Here's a cool video from the tech from my car and what he did to possibly fix it: https://youtu.be/siaXS8dZ7BE?t=75

I'll let you know if this fixes the issue once I pick up the car later on.
For reference, how much were you quoted for the repair? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-22, 04:31 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads
Senior Moderator

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

The slip yoke @ the front of the driveshaft looks really dry. There is a grease fitting in the video. I'd start by lubing the driveshaft. This is very problematic on 4runners & tacomas. The lube tech's now a days do not know what lube stands for.
Brief explanation:
When you come to dead stop the front squats down & the back goes up from the braking force. When to you take off it forces the back end down causing the clunk. When the drive shaft is properly lubed, when you stop the back goes up & back down w/o being hung up in the air on a dry slip yoke.
Amazing it took their best guy to figure this out, this issue dates back to the 1980's 4x4's.

Last edited by Supra Dr; 11-25-22 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 03:29 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I actually greased the fittings this Monday there is one at each u joint and in the middle 3/4 mark of each driveshaft. The u joint by the transfer case will require a needle fitting to get to besides that the rest are a normal zerk fitting. This should cost like $50-100 at a shop its a 5-10 min job. Also the truck needs to be in neutral jacked in the air so you can rotate the shafts to get to the joints.

Quick Reply: 2016 LX570 Transmission Problem