Off Colored Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 08:17 AM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off Colored Plastic

LX owners,

This morning on a cloudy day, I noticed that my front bumper, side step, and rear bumper seemed discolored? (2013) My paint color is Starefire Pearl, and I have not noticed until today. Even had a coworker who pulled up next too me that I enquired to take a look, he too could see it

My question is if anyone else has notice discoloration over time. I wax every few months, and other than in the parking lot is when my vehicle sub stains substantial amounts of sun.

Could this be due to the road salt or just normal discoloration? Any one else noticed that on their vehicle? The vehicle was rescued from the North as towards the road salt — had to perform rust remediation on the Underbody. 🤬
Maybe I had too much coffee this morning and I am hyper sensitive. But, on the positive note, this maybe the point that I begin to transform my vehicle into an off-road rig. I was waiting until I hit the 100,000 mile mark, being that I only have 58,000 miles on the rig.

Thank you in advance. First post.
Old 05-21-20, 11:25 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

White is a color that tends to turn 'yellow' overtime... I was told you'll need hard wax and buff once in a while...hand wax won't do it. I never own a white colored vehicle though (only black / grey / silver / green). When you apply wax, make sure vehicle body panels are cool and never apply under the sun. My MY15, almost 60k now, only waxed once throughout my ownership...and the paint still shins nicely and I don't notice and color mismatch. You able to take some pictures (both far and close up) under shop lights and not bright sun?
Old 05-21-20, 12:07 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Was it ever re-painted? That color is hard for most shops to match.
Old 05-21-20, 01:10 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Was it ever re-painted? That color is hard for most shops to match.
That was my original thought. The vehicle was involved in an accident; however, it was a Lexus dealer that performed the repairs. According to the report, the owner was rear ended a few months after purchasing.

Sadly, that would not explain the bumpers and sidesteps being off color. Unless they replaced them all, or re-painted the whole vehicle.

If they were unable to match the paint, they did a good job. Because it took me a while to notice, maybe it was just the right amount of lighting to show the color difference. Now that I noticed it, I cannot un-notice.

When I get a chance, I’m going to clay bar as the areas that I can, and apply a new layer of wax. Hopefully that will blind together.
Old 05-21-20, 01:11 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by z32
White is a color that tends to turn 'yellow' overtime... I was told you'll need hard wax and buff once in a while...hand wax won't do it. I never own a white colored vehicle though (only black / grey / silver / green). When you apply wax, make sure vehicle body panels are cool and never apply under the sun. My MY15, almost 60k now, only waxed once throughout my ownership...and the paint still shins nicely and I don't notice and color mismatch. You able to take some pictures (both far and close up) under shop lights and not bright sun?
I’ll try to attach some photos after work.
Old 05-21-20, 04:03 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SloanSav
I’ll try to attach some photos after work.

Was difficult to get on camera, but here’s the best one. See almost a gold or yellow tint on the front bumper. Ignore the fitting of the bumper, have not had the time to fix.
Old 05-21-20, 09:07 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That color and alignment of the bumper seems off. I got a white 2014 with relatively similar miles and there is no discoloration other than some sun damage of the black molding pieces. Regarding the rust you stated in earlier post, depending on the habitat of the LX it significantly exposes car to rust. Took a good few months to find ours, many we liked had rust in the undercarriage that we had passed on. Ended up buying one that’s lived it’s life in So.Cal, rust free.

I hope this picture helps.

The following users liked this post:
SloanSav (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 04:22 AM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
That color and alignment of the bumper seems off. I got a white 2014 with relatively similar miles and there is no discoloration other than some sun damage of the black molding pieces. Regarding the rust you stated in earlier post, depending on the habitat of the LX it significantly exposes car to rust. Took a good few months to find ours, many we liked had rust in the undercarriage that we had passed on. Ended up buying one that’s lived it’s life in So.Cal, rust free.

I hope this picture helps.

Man. That’s upsetting about the color distortion. Sadly, the alignment of the bumper was my fault pulling out of my steep driveway, the bumper dragged backing out. Learned that I have to let the suspension move fully into normal before backing out.

So weird that all my front, back, and side steps are discolored. Wish I noticed and waited longer to pull the trigger.

As for the rust the dealer knocked $1,000 off and was already priced low for the Atlanta area. May have not been worth saving a few dollars.
Old 05-22-20, 12:35 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Iirc, you may be able to get a replacement via Lexus or Toyota, if Toyota used the same paint code. That's the way it works with hitch covers, mirror bodies, and rear bumpers.
Old 05-22-20, 12:42 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
Iirc, you may be able to get a replacement via Lexus or Toyota, if Toyota used the same paint code. That's the way it works with hitch covers, mirror bodies, and rear bumpers.
Upon further inspection, I’ve found over spray on part of my head lights were tape didn’t not cover. So I believe my vehicle was repainted the wrong color, and was not reported to carfax.

I am waiting for the General Manager at the dealer to call me back, since this should have came up in their inspection. But, it didn’t even come up in the Lexus Pre-sale inspection.

Maybe my local Toyota dealer can match the paint and repaint the bumpers, or I’ll just live with it.
Old 05-22-20, 12:46 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

I’m sure the dealer has a paint meter, what have you, to see if my vehicle was repainted. Which is weird for whatever reason the vehicle was repainted, the damage never extended to the bumpers. Or the vehicle was repaired, repainted, and purchased the wrong color code for the bumpers. Or purchased from the a junk yard.
Old 05-24-20, 02:15 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it's been repainted base on your photo.

On a side note, even with factory paint job, when comparing sheetmetal panel and plastic like bumper. They do not always match. Metal and plastic bond/cured differently. Color matching pearl/white is not easy.
Old 05-26-20, 09:39 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah it's the repaint that didn't match / blend right. If it annoys you, have it redone
Old 05-27-20, 05:07 PM
SloanSav
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by z32
Yeah it's the repaint that didn't match / blend right. If it annoys you, have it redone
It’s the extant of the repaint that stresses me the most. Especially since the front bumper, rear, and the side steps do not match.

I am having a cordial conversation with the dealer, but of course, chances are slim to none. Plus they are claiming ignorance to the repaint. Their theory is that the previous owner had the bumpers and side steps repainted before trading in. But that doesn’t explain the over spray I discovered behind the head lights.

My OCD seems to take over during these times, and buyers remorse that I should have waited longer and not chased the best deal.

A local paint shop has a paint reader where they will be able to find areas that were repainted and not. I will update on the findings, plus put on a lift to see any signs of a major accident. Which may be best if I did not know the extant.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 06-01-20, 09:35 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear about your findings. Take it to an experienced body shop and they will be able to go over each and every panel that’s been repainted and readjusted. Unless it’s a certified pre-owned from Lexus, simple repaint of bumpers aren’t a major deal that the dealership needs to disclose. It’s a used vehicle and difficult to know specifics of the vehicle’s history. It may be worth a try to get the dealer to repaint some of those parts once you find out which parts were in fact repainted due to a previous collision and just have them to do it with quality. These trucks are tanks, unless there is frame damage, I wouldn’t worry.