LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 07:01 PM
Cntrtwnltd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Swap

This is going to sound like a strange and arguably trivial issue, but I would value anyone's knowledge or expertise on the subject. I have always liked the LX and even came close to getting one a few times over the last 10 years, but for one reason or another I shied away.

Anyway, to put it simply I am once again playing with the idea of the LX and while the latest "L-finess" design is subjective, I actually find it attractive on the LX in it's own unique way. There is one thing however that I can't stand with any car and that is 3-spoke steering wheels.

I know this may sound nuts, but when you think about it, the steering wheel is the part of the car you see, touch, and interact with the most, so if it bugs you it is hard to ignore. I could give a list of reasons of why I can't stand the 3-spoke design (which I now believe has found its way into EVERY lexus model and working its way through Toyota) but I will spare you and keep it short by saying I find them awkward and uncomfortable, especially on long trips which is what this class of vehicle is made for.

So my question to all of you is, what is the likleyhood the steering wheel could be swapped with a Land Cruiser's? I can deal with looking at the Toyota emblem way more easily then the 3 spokes. I have looked at the manuals and all of the buttons and features seem to be present on the steering wheels in both the LX and LC. They both also have heated steering wheels and since they are so similiar mechanically, part of me is hoping an easy swap would simply be plug-and-play with the wiring. I'm not concerned about the paddle shifters unless not having them triggers an electronic error.

Anyway, I know it may sound dumb, but it is something I have been thinking about for a while and I thought I'd ask. Be safe all!

Last edited by Cntrtwnltd; 05-25-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-04-24, 06:01 AM
JZsquared
1st Gear

Default Did you find a way

Originally Posted by Cntrtwnltd
This is going to sound like a strange and arguably trivial issue, but I would value anyone's knowledge or expertise on the subject. I have always liked the LX and even came close to getting one a few times over the last 10 years, but for one reason or another I shied away.

Anyway, to put it simply I am once again playing with the idea of the LX and while the latest "L-finess" design is subjective, I actually find it attractive on the LX in it's own unique way. There is one thing however that I can't stand with any car and that is 3-spoke steering wheels.

I know this may sound nuts, but when you think about it, the steering wheel is the part of the car you see, touch, and interact with the most, so if it bugs you it is hard to ignore. I could give a list of reasons of why I can't stand the 3-spoke design (which I now believe has found its way into EVERY lexus model and working its way through Toyota) but I will spare you and keep it short by saying I find them awkward and uncomfortable, especially on long trips which is what this class of vehicle is made for.

So my question to all of you is, what is the likleyhood the steering wheel could be swapped with a Land Cruiser's? I can deal with looking at the Toyota emblem way more easily then the 3 spokes. I have looked at the manuals and all of the buttons and features seem to be present on the steering wheels in both the LX and LC. They both also have heated steering wheels and since they are so similiar mechanically, part of me is hoping an easy swap would simply be plug-and-play with the wiring. I'm not concerned about the paddle shifters unless not having them triggers an electronic error.

Anyway, I know it may sound dumb, but it is something I have been thinking about for a while and I thought I'd ask. Be safe all!
I know it’s been a while but did you ever swap out a LX570 steering wheel. I’m in the same boat I can’t stand the 3 spoke had it in a RX and never got used to it. Any help would be great it’s the only thing holding me back from buying a newer LX
Old 09-04-24, 10:29 AM
BMan52
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Cntrtwnltd

The wheel itself would be easy, the problem is the interface for the control buttons. You have to make sure it is compatible.