LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Roof Cross Bars Wind Howling. How to reduce?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 08:20 AM
Joshib
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Roof Cross Bars Wind Howling. How to reduce?

Hello Everyone,
I own a new 2019 Lexus LX that can with every option under the sun. I have the Lexus original factory cross bars that make a lot of wind howling noise even at low speeds - like 50 mph. I moved the front cross bar further back hoping that will fix it. No dice. So I am looking at these spoiler like device made by Yakima or Thule but having an issue on how to fit it. Do I stick this between the rails - 45 inches apart or over the rails - 48 inches apart. Anyone done this and can provide a picture or more info? And lastly do you have any other solutions. Thanks in Advance.
Old 06-08-20, 01:38 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Toyota recommends the front bar all the way forward, and the rear bar all the way aft.

If you still get howling, you might open the sunroof all the way and look for possible issues with the gasket.

I'd call the spoiler manufacturers and ask as to installation procedure, some print a 1 page sheet that's model specific.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
swfla (06-08-20)
Old 06-09-20, 08:17 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Toyota recommends the front bar all the way forward, and the rear bar all the way aft.

If you still get howling, you might open the sunroof all the way and look for possible issues with the gasket.

I'd call the spoiler manufacturers and ask as to installation procedure, some print a 1 page sheet that's model specific.

Steve
That was the solution for me.
Old 07-07-20, 06:06 PM
Joshib
9th Gear

Angry Original Roof Cross Bars Howling

I still have the cross bars howling even at 30 MPH.
I got up higher on the ladder and noted that the side rails have 3 sets of predrilled holes and my Cross Bars are installed in the front and rear holes. Anyone else have a solution before I make Lexus take these bars back. I cannot believe they would sell a vehicle with these on howling like that.
pictures here

Enlarge to see predrilled holes.
Old 07-07-20, 06:50 PM
nayak1
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's the installation procedure for your reference. I installed an OEM cross bars on my 2018 model but no howling issues with any speed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus LX570 Cross Bars.pdf (616.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 07-07-20, 07:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Correctly installed, they will NOT howl. Double check EVERYTHING in the procedure that @nayak1 posted.

Did you install the cross bars, did your dealer, or were they a port-added option?
Old 07-08-20, 07:11 AM
Joshib
9th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by hankinid
Correctly installed, they will NOT howl. Double check EVERYTHING in the procedure that @nayak1 posted.

Did you install the cross bars, did your dealer, or were they a port-added option?
Hello Gentlemen,
Nayak1 - Thank You for the instructions, I will check them to what’s currently installed.
Hankinid- I do not know if these were dealer or port installed. This vehicle was a dealer exchange. They were on the car and Listed on the car’s original window sticker. However I am going to make sure they are installed as per instructions.

Thank You Gentlemen.
Old 07-08-20, 12:02 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

When the cross bars were STD equipment the EPA fuel economy rating had to be
tested with them in place...all standard equipment, tire sizes etc. You have all noticed
that the bars are now an accessory and thus Not mounted when EPA tested.
Since the cross rails reduce MPG, cause wind noise even when optimally placed
and limit your ability to clean and dry the roof, why not just take them off until you
are moving Christmas trees?
Old 07-08-20, 02:23 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mcomer
When the cross bars were STD equipment the EPA fuel economy rating had to be tested with them in place...all standard equipment, tire sizes etc. You have all noticed
that the bars are now an accessory and thus Not mounted when EPA tested. Since the cross rails reduce MPG, cause wind noise even when optimally place and limit your ability to clean and dry the roof, why not just take them off until you are moving Christmas trees?
Optimally placed, as you put it, will NOT cause wind noise. Nor do they limit your ability to clean and dry the roof.
Old 08-06-20, 08:57 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I just had this same issue after taking mine off to wax the roof. Your rear bar is facing the wrong direction. The elongated (Swooping) part of the bar should be facing rearward for the back bar. The front swoops forward for the front bar. When I installed wrong I immediately noticed and it sounded like a window was open while driving. Below is a pic from the instructions - notice where the lock and direction of the elongated side.
Old 08-06-20, 08:58 AM
jsch222
Advanced

I should also note that once I changed back to the correct way they are silent.
Old 08-06-20, 10:55 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jsch222
I should also note that once I changed back to the correct way they are silent.
Reminds me of the Army acronym "RTFM".
The following 2 users liked this post by hankinid:
jsch222 (08-06-20), samosuv (08-06-20)
Old 08-06-20, 04:28 PM
Joshib
9th Gear

OMG, Thank You - Even though my rear bar was correct, it was the front bar that was installed incorrectly. Naturally, I am disappointed that Lexus Techs could not follow simple instructions and though this car had been driven by the dealership manager, their solution was to take it off. NO more howling. I bought this vehicle in February with 600:miles and was a dealer swap with another Lexus dealer and this was the poorest dealer pre delivery prep I had ever experienced.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joshib:
jsch222 (08-06-20), mcomer (08-29-20)
Old 08-06-20, 05:42 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joshib
OMG, Thank You - Even though my rear bar was correct, it was the front bar that was installed incorrectly. Naturally, I am disappointed that Lexus Techs could not follow simple instructions and though this car had been driven by the dealership manager, their solution was to take it off. NO more howling. I bought this vehicle in February with 600:miles and was a dealer swap with another Lexus dealer and this was the poorest dealer pre delivery prep I had ever experienced.
Glad it is fixed! Enjoy the rig