2016 LX570 shopping advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 07:11 PM
Jake1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 LX570 shopping advice

Hi Guys,
Went to the dealership today to test drive a GX, sat inside my wife and I notice the interior space wouldn’t work with two kids (coming from a pilot). We ended up test driving the LX and both loved it. Here’s the details.
$59K
Black on Black
No Entertainment package
Mileage 28,500
Not Certified
3 months left in 4 year Lexus warrant ($2000 for 2 years certified)
2.5 years left in power train
One owner and clean car fax.

I question two things, salesman said it came from a corporate lease and all four tires were replaced.
28K for new ones is a bit soon which means it was probably driven aggressively. What do you guys think?

TIA

Last edited by Jake1980; 06-14-20 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 07:49 PM
pkim1078
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Those grandtrek tires wear out quickly since it doesn’t have that much tread. At 30k miles we replaced ours for a 2016. Also this is a heavy vehicle so it does wear out quicker. I replaced them with Toyo open country. They have a long warranty so we shall see how they go.

that’s a very low mileage vehicle. It’s a great suv.
Old 06-14-20, 08:31 PM
samosuv
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CL, Jake1980.

As pkim1078 mentioned, Grantreks don’t last that long. Back in January, I picked up an ‘18 LX that had around 19,500 miles. Has around 21,300 on it now and the tires are more than half gone. And the previous owner was a soccer mom, literally.

So your dealer likely put on new tires because the originals were most likely too far gone.

Old 06-14-20, 08:39 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't trust carfax.. many times actual accident / repair work won't show up.. get the vehicle inspected by a 3rd party... connect scanner to chk smog / monitor readiness... y won't the dealership spend the extra $ to get it CPO'ed? have the dealership pull all service history too...
Old 06-14-20, 09:36 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by z32
I don't trust carfax.. many times actual accident / repair work won't show up.. get the vehicle inspected by a 3rd party... connect scanner to chk smog / monitor readiness... y won't the dealership spend the extra $ to get it CPO'ed? have the dealership pull all service history too...
Have a service writer give you a printout on maintenance. It will show everything from date of first delivery; it will also show any services declined by the owner. Have the truck inspected by a shop that's not a party to the transaction.
Old 06-15-20, 05:33 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1980
Hi Guys,
Went to the dealership today to test drive a GX, sat inside my wife and I notice the interior space wouldn’t work with two kids (coming from a pilot). We ended up test driving the LX and both loved it. Here’s the details.
$59K
Black on Black
No Entertainment package
Mileage 28,500
Not Certified
3 months left in 4 year Lexus warrant ($2000 for 2 years certified)
2.5 years left in power train
One owner and clean car fax.

I question two things, salesman said it came from a corporate lease and all four tires were replaced.
28K for new ones is a bit soon which means it was probably driven aggressively. What do you guys think?

TIA
Do not buy that truck.

No Entertainment Package? Most 2016 + LX’s I’ve seen have the Entertainment Package. Does it at least have Mark Levinson audio which is a must although I haven’t seen any with Mark Levinson without the Entertainment Package. Although some say options aren’t a dealbreaker, when buying used, you should always get the most for your money and the most fully optioned out vehicle that you can even if you don’t see a need for it or will use it. Even though many say afterwards that are happy they got it. Also, think about resale years down the road whenever the time may come. Far easier to sell your LX at asking price with Mark Levinson and Entertainment Package than without.

Although Certified is not a must since this is one of the most well built trouble free vehicles out there, at 59k asking price you might as well get the benefits of CPO with complimentary maintenance, unlimited mileage warranty, and eliminate the guesswork about tires, brakes, up to date services, frame damage etc. There are CPO’s available out there for 59-61k which has Mark Levinson and Entertainment Package. 28,000 miles vs 48,000 miles is nothing to sway your decision on a truck that can go easily go for 300,000 miles.

Here are some examples and the first two are 2017’s:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2401/overview?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8654/overview/

With COVID and dealers eager to move sitting inventory, you may be able to get a newer LX that is CPO with more options for less than 59k. I would email three dealers to see who can offer you the best deal with contactless delivery included.
Old 06-15-20, 06:05 AM
Jake1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by milellie11
Do not buy that truck.

No Entertainment Package? Most 2016 + LX’s I’ve seen have the Entertainment Package. Does it at least have Mark Levinson audio which is a must although I haven’t seen any with Mark Levinson without the Entertainment Package. Although some say options aren’t a dealbreaker, when buying used, you should always get the most for your money and the most fully optioned out vehicle that you can even if you don’t see a need for it or will use it. Even though many say afterwards that are happy they got it. Also, think about resale years down the road whenever the time may come. Far easier to sell your LX at asking price with Mark Levinson and Entertainment Package than without.

Although Certified is not a must since this is one of the most well built trouble free vehicles out there, at 59k asking price you might as well get the benefits of CPO with complimentary maintenance, unlimited mileage warranty, and eliminate the guesswork about tires, brakes, up to date services, frame damage etc. There are CPO’s available out there for 59-61k which has Mark Levinson and Entertainment Package. 28,000 miles vs 48,000 miles is nothing to sway your decision on a truck that can go easily go for 300,000 miles.

Here are some examples and the first two are 2017’s:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2401/overview?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8654/overview/

With COVID and dealers eager to move sitting inventory, you may be able to get a newer LX that is CPO with more options for less than 59k. I would email three dealers to see who can offer you the best deal with contactless delivery included.

Thanks for your input! entertainment package is not a huge deal for us. Kids have iPads or phone to entertainment. We drove a 2009 Pilot for 11 years without any so we would be okay without it.

This vehicle coming from a corporate lease, would it concern you?

I will check these links.
Old 06-15-20, 06:09 AM
Jake1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
Have a service writer give you a printout on maintenance. It will show everything from date of first delivery; it will also show any services declined by the owner. Have the truck inspected by a shop that's not a party to the transaction.
I can ask for today. Car fax shows the vehicle came at Lexus dealership that includes oil change at 9500 miles and again at 19k, 3rd was when the vehicle was returned at 28k. A bit of a stretch between OC.
Old 06-15-20, 06:12 AM
Jake1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by z32
salesman said, they didn’t want to because they have already put in new tires etc, which doesn’t really any sense.

thanks
Old 06-15-20, 07:41 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

I can ask for today. Car fax shows the vehicle came at Lexus dealership that includes oil change at 9500 miles and again at 19k, 3rd was when the vehicle was returned at 28k. A bit of a stretch between OC.
Do you have the VIN? You can go to https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers sign up for an account and add vehicle with the VIN. You will be able to see the full schedule of any maintenance, services and warranty work done on the vehicle at Lexus dealerships.
Old 06-15-20, 08:16 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Thanks for your input! entertainment package is not a huge deal for us. Kids have iPads or phone to entertainment. We drove a 2009 Pilot for 11 years without any so we would be okay without it.

This vehicle coming from a corporate lease, would it concern you?

I will check these links.
I understand. I didn't think I would need it for my kids either with the kids tablets etc. Yet, popping in a DVD movie in the rear seat entertainment has become useful those days batteries on tablets aren't charged or they are forgotten at home. However, my kids are relatively young. Even if you don't need it, point it is if you're gonna spend the same money on a car without it, why not get one with it? An LX with it has more value than an LX without it.

A loaner/rental car concerns me but not a corporate lease. It should have been maintained at Lexus and I don't see how anyone could "dog" it in 28,000 miles. I just think the price is too much for a 16 that's not fully loaded and not CPO'ed. The dealer is being cheap not CPO'ing this car because they know that they would have to replace other things on the truck such as brakes, fix possible interior/exterior cosmetic damage etc. and other things they aren't telling you about to get it up to CPO specs then it would eat up their profit. Then they would have to raise the price of the truck in order to make any money but then they know it won't move at that price when there are newer LX's with more options available for cheaper. So they probably invested $500 in dealer cost on some new tires and priced it at $59,000 hoping the low mileage would entice.

Does it even have Mark Levinson stereo? Even if it does, that truck is worth about $55,000 trade in. After taxes, dealer fees etc. you will be paying close to $63,000 on a truck thats worth $55,000.

Last edited by milellie11; 06-15-20 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jake1980 (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 08:28 AM
Jake1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by milellie11
I understand. I didn't think I would need it for my kids either with the kids tablets etc. Yet, popping in a DVD movie in the rear seat entertainment has become useful those days batteries on tablets aren't charged or they are forgotten at home. However, my kids are relatively young. Even if you don't need it, point it is if you're gonna spend the same money on a car without it, why not get one with it? An LX with it has more value than an LX without it.

A loaner/rental car concerns me but not a corporate lease. It should have been maintained at Lexus and I don't see how anyone could "dog" it in 28,000 miles. I just think the price is too much for a 16 that's not fully loaded and not CPO'ed. The dealer is being cheap not CPO'ing this car because they know that they would have to replace other things on the truck such as brakes, fix possible interior/exterior cosmetic damage etc. and other things they aren't telling you about to get it up to CPO specs then it would eat up their profit. Then they would have to raise the price of the truck in order to make any money but then they know it won't move at that price when there are newer LX's with more options available for cheaper. So they probably invested $500 in dealer cost on some new tires and priced it at $59,000 hoping the low mileage would entice.

Does it even have Mark Levinson stereo? Even if it does, that truck is worth about $55,000 trade in. After taxes, dealer fees etc. you will be paying close to $63,000 on a truck thats worth $55,000.
I’m not sure and will check if system is ML. They had it advertised for 65k. I think I can get it lower closer $56K. There aren’t many used ones here in Mass.

here’s the full service history
28357 MILES
03/20/2020

Repair# 767860C
Reported By: Lexus of Watertown
Service: JLL - REPLACE THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT
Description: JLL - REPLACE THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT ~|~JLL - REPLACE THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT BELT ~|~JLL ~|~28357 JLL DONE
28357 MILES
03/19/2020

Repair# 0767860
Service: 28348
Description: 28348 ~|~TMU CK IN MILES AND RECORD HERE____________ , NO RECALLS A T T_____CK FOR MISSING BOOKS, CARGO COVERS, FLOOR MATS , ASR WHATS MISSING____ RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT AND AFFIX OIL CHANGE INTERVAL STICKER TO THE WINDSHIELD_____ WIP LETTERING ON GLASS AS NEEDED ~|~ ~|~28348
Service: 28357
Description: 28357 ~|~MILEAGE OUT ~|~ ~|~28357 28357
Service: CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI
Description: CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI ~|~CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI ~|~ ~|~DID CERT
Service: MOVED TO: 767860C LINE: A
Description: MOVED TO: 767860C LINE: A ~|~MOVED TO: 767860C LINE: A ~|~
Service: PERFORM 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT
Description: PERFORM 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT ~|~PERFORM 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT ~|~ ~|~28354 DID ALIGNMENT
Service: PERFORM OIL AND FILTER CHANGE
Description: PERFORM OIL AND FILTER CHANGE ~|~PERFORM OIL AND FILTER CHANGE ~|~ ~|~28354 DID OIL CHANGE
Service: REPLACE 4 TIRES W/ LKQ OR EQUIVALENT TIRES
Description: REPLACE 4 TIRES W/ LKQ OR EQUIVALENT TIRES ~|~REPLACE 4 TIRES W/ LKQ OR EQUIVALENT TIRES ~|~ ~|~28354 REPLACED 4 TIRES
Service: REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND BRAKE DISCS
Description: REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND BRAKE DISCS ~|~REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND BRAKE DISCS ~|~ ~|~28354 DID FRONT BRAKE JOB
Service: REPLACED REAR BRAKE PADS AND MACHINED REAR ROTORS
Description: REPLACED REAR BRAKE PADS AND MACHINED REAR ROTORS ~|~REPLACED REAR BRAKE PADS AND MACHINED REAR ROTORS ~|~ ~|~28354 REPLACED PADS, SHIMS , MACHINE ROTORS,
Service: REPLACED THE REAR BRAKE ROTORS
Description: REPLACED THE REAR BRAKE ROTORS ~|~REAR ROTORS DID NOT MAKE THE CUT AND HAD TO BE REPLACED ~|~ ~|~28354 AFTER CUT OF ROTORS / ROTORS UNDERSIZED / REPLACED REAR BRAKE ROTORS / AFTER CUT WERE UNDER SIZED
Service: SET PSI , NO ISSUE
Description: SET PSI , NO ISSUE ~|~TIRE PRESSURE LIGHT REPORT IF ISSUES ~|~
20468 MILES
07/11/2019

Repair# 0743484
Service:
Description: PICK-UP AND DELIVERY - CUSTOMER RESPONSIBLE FOR GASOLINE IN THEIR OWN VEHICLE AND ALL TOLLS - PLEA ~|~PICK-UP AND DELIVERY - CUSTOMER RESPONSIBLE FOR GASOLINE IN THEIR OWN VEHICLE AND ALL TOLLS - PLEASE NOTE:: MASS DOT WILL BILL CUSTOMER DIRECTLY FOR ALL TOLLS ~|~ ~|~OKPICK-UP AND DELIVERY - CUSTOMER RESPONSIBLE FOR GASOLINE IN THEIR OWN VEHICLE AND ALL TOLLS - PLEA20,000 MILE REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, ROTATE TIRES ,REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER, SET TIRE PRESSURE, INS ~|~20,000 MILE REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, ROTATE TIRES ,INSPECT CABIN AIR FILTER, SET TIRE PRESSURE, INSPECT BRAKES, TOP ALL FLUIDS, LEXUS MULTI PT INSPECTION, CHECK WIPERS, RESET MAINT LIGHT. AND ROAD TEST. ~|~ ~|~1 20,000 MILE SERVICE COMPLETED OIL CHANGE/FILTER CHANGE TIRE ROTATION TOPPED OFF ALL FLUID LEVELS INSPECTED CABIN AIR FILTER INSPECTED ENGINE AIR FILTER RESET TIRE PRESSURES BATTERY PASSED LOAD TEST AT 12.56 VOLTS CHECKED ALL OPERATIONS OF INTERIOR AND E20,000 MILE REPLACE OIL AND FILTER, ROTATE TIRES ,REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER, SET TIRE PRESSURE, INSLEXUS LOANER : NO CHARGE FOR LEXUS, TOLLS OR MILEAGE DRIVEN PLEASE REPLACE GAS YOU USE AS COURTES ~|~LEXUS LOANER : NO CHARGE FOR LEXUS, TOLLS OR MILEAGE DRIVEN PLEASE REPLACE GAS YOU USE AS COURTESY TO NEXT GUEST $30 FEE PER 1/4 TANK FOR GAS NOT REPLACED APPLIES TO ALL CLIENTS - CARS STRICTLY PROHIBITED FROM USE AS LIVERY VEHICLES ~|~ ~|~OKLEXUS LOANER : NO CHARGE FOR LEXUS, TOLLS OR MILEAGE DRIVEN PLEASE REPLACE GAS YOU USE AS COURTES
Service: COMPLETE FULL VEHICLE DETAIL
Description: COMPLETE FULL VEHICLE DETAIL ~|~FULL DETAIL COMPLETED ~|~ ~|~1 FULL DETAIL USUALLY $229.95 GAVE CLIENT $$40.00 OFF DETAIL
Service: DO NOT TOUCH AUTO SETTINGS
Description: DO NOT TOUCH AUTO SETTINGS ~|~DO NOT TOUCH AUTO SETTINGS ~|~ ~|~OK
Service: RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT
Description: RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT ~|~RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT ~|~ ~|~MAINTENANCE LIGHT RESET FOR NEXT SERVICE COMPLETE
9859 MILES
04/26/2018

Repair# 0695922
Service: 10,000 MILE FULL SERVICE
Description: 10,000 MILE FULL SERVICE ~|~10,000 MILE FULL SERVICE ~|~10K ~|~9858 10000 MILE MAINTENANCE SERVICE COMPLETED.
Service: PERFORM LEXUS MULTI-POINT INSPECTION
Description: PERFORM LEXUS MULTI-POINT INSPECTION ~|~PERFORM LEXUS MULTI-POINT INSPECTION ~|~
Service: RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT
Description: RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT ~|~RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT ~|~
Old 06-15-20, 08:38 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To me in the rear seat entertainment on a used model is an indicator that the ML sound is included. There are very few out there with ML and without the RSES. ML was a "must have" for me. RSES was a must not.

Since most all used "loaded" LX include the RSES it's hard to draw a conclusion about the value of one without the RSES. But in the long run, any rear screens that are built in and run from a DVD will be considered dinosaurs. On other vehicles, the QX80 comes to mind, there is almost zero residual value on the rear screens versus one without in the used market. That's a hefty penalty on a 2k option. You can buy a bunch of iPads for that money.

So two things jump out at me about this LX:
1. Do you want the ML sound system?
2. This would seem to be the perfect candidate to CPO. Why didn't they CPO? Or better yet, why couldn't they?

Jake1980 (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 09:09 AM
Jake1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by closenough
To me in the rear seat entertainment on a used model is an indicator that the ML sound is included. There are very few out there with ML and without the RSES. ML was a "must have" for me. RSES was a must not.

Since most all used "loaded" LX include the RSES it's hard to draw a conclusion about the value of one without the RSES. But in the long run, any rear screens that are built in and run from a DVD will be considered dinosaurs. On other vehicles, the QX80 comes to mind, there is almost zero residual value on the rear screens versus one without in the used market. That's a hefty penalty on a 2k option. You can buy a bunch of iPads for that money.

So two things jump out at me about this LX:
1. Do you want the ML sound system?
2. This would seem to be the perfect candidate to CPO. Why didn't they CPO? Or better yet, why couldn't they?
The ML is not big deal to me at all. I just provided the service history above. And it seems like they did the CPO work but removing it as CPO to lower the price and move the car.

Here’s the vehicle. Thank you

https://www.lexusofwatertown.com/aut...43907710060148
rmawyer (06-17-20)
Old 06-15-20, 09:51 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, nice photos! Looks like you found your car. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 2016 LX570 shopping advice