LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

L@460 L AWD and Infiniti QX56 AWD to Lx or GX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 03:35 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default L@460 L AWD and Infiniti QX56 AWD to Lx or GX?

Wife and I are at the age where only I drive. I put about 10k miles a year on my 2014 LS460L AWD. My 2011 Inifniti QX56 is only seeing a thousand miles or so a year. Both have been flawless vehicles, I define flawless as no issues at all other than a dead battery. Both meet this easily.

I am leaning toward selling the QX and becoming a one car family. My wife likes having an SUV for hauling things which we does occur often at all. I am very happy with my LS. While I like the QX at its age I am not wanting to go that way for my one vehicle.

So today I got to thinking should I consider a used Lexus SUV, probably the LX but a GX might do the trick. I have not ridden in nor driven either of the Lexus SUVS. Is the LX comfortable and easy to drive day to day and on trips as my LS? I know its an SUV but love the quiet, solid reliable Lexus feel. Give me some advice those who have driven those I am considering. Thanks in advance. ALso what options are a must have on the LX or GX if you think they imightt work for me as a replacement for my current fleet?
Old 06-17-20, 05:13 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't have experience driving 2014 LS (I drove a 2008 LS before - compare to the 1993 LS it's more 'sporty feel' / 'less plush'). But I will try to say a few words on the QX compare to the LX. I used to work at an Infiniti dealership and had drove a lot of their vehicles. Compare the older QX to the newer one, definitely a lot of improvements. The newer QX56/QX80 felt more sporty and stable compare to the older generation. Seats are wider and more 'supportive'. Suspension (rear are air) feel more planted. Compare the QX80 to the LX570, I do prefer to LX over the QX. The build quality is better, LX feel much more 'solid' and complicated than the QX. QX / Infiniti in general (except the older EX 35) tend to have Cat fail around 100k while Toyota / Lexus last a lot longer. QX56/80 is built 'more simplier' (when you put both the QX and the LX side by side on a hoist, you'll see the difference. Both tech (nav / stereo) are dated IMO, BUT the Mark Levinson sounds alot better than the Bose. Knocking on the rear quarter panels, the LX sounds more 'solid' than the QX. QX does feel faster (it is faster) and more sporty than the LX though, it also pulls (haul a trailer) more weight than the LX. You sit up higher in the QX (and it's also a bigger vehicle), more boxy. Steering feel is lighter in the QX then the LX. Door sounds more solid in the LX. Anyways I prefer the LX over the QX personally. I was looking at the GX before getting the LX. The GX did feel small (like a Camry / ES350). It's even smaller than the Honda Pilot. Seats are narrower yet still comfortable. Middle row seats are 'so so' in the LX / GX (doesn't wrap your both / contour your back), but I do feel the QX middle row seats more comfy and has more leg room compare to the LX though. Don't care much about the 3rd row seats. But if you do need 3rd row seats most of the time, the QX's 3rd row has more leg room and deeper floor - more comfortable than the LX.
Old 06-17-20, 05:43 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not currently an LX owner, just avid shopper. But I did own a 2016 QX80 for 2 years until I slid it off a snowbank and rolled it. Now we have a suburban premier. When I read that you like comfort and easy driveability I can't help but wonder if the LX might not be for you. The ones I have test driven have had very heavy steering in comparison to most Lexus' overly light feeling. The suspension is also a bit on the firm side and being a massive offroading full size suv, it tends feel it in the way it rides. Which isn't bad. They ride better than our premier or a denali, just not as good as an LS or a QX80 with adaptive suspension.

A test drive would definitely be best thing to do. I think they're great, but I'm also in my twenties and looking for one for many different reasons.

Last edited by sick21; 06-17-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 06:57 PM
samosuv
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

“While I like the QX at its age I am not wanting to go that way for my one vehicle.”

Is the age of the vehicle the reason you’re considering a Lexus LX or GX? It must have low miles and should still be quite reliable. Do you like its size?

I used to drive a 2001 LX470 but gave that to my wife around 2005. I missed driving an SUV so in 2006 I got a 2003 Land Cruiser and it was my daily driver until January of this year. I got some minor damage when I got rear ended and drove a Nissan Armada for a couple of weeks. It was HUGE and I didn’t feel comfortable driving it. Fast forward to January when I picked up an LX570. It felt _huge_ also even though it may only be an inch and a half wider than the LC. I could see and knew where the corner of the Land Cruiser was. That isn’t the case with the LX and I’m only now getting more used to and comfortable driving it. Yeah, I know, I’m a wimp

A test drive like sick21 mentioned would be best. My wife’s LX470 has been replaced with a near new GX460 and she loves it. It’s smaller than her old LX but far from small. It might be difficult to find a true body on frame (I’m old fashioned) SUV that’s as comfortable as you LS. Going to an RX will probably get you there but to me, they are too much like a car

But sticking to Lexus should give you both the most comfort and reliability.

Edit: The GX460 comes with 18” wheels while the LX570 will have either 21” or 20”. There will be a difference in ride based on the diameter of the wheels. My LX came with the 21’s and an added feature in that bastard size is having fewer tire choices. I’ve recently bought five 18” take-offs from a 2020 LC and will be mounting some Michelins on them when the OEM tires on the Lexus wheels need replacement.

Last edited by samosuv; 06-17-20 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-17-20, 07:53 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Oh btw, don't know what age you are at now, but as you age, it's easier to get in / out of a vehicle if you are sitting higher. I find myself hard to get out from a Ferrari great reason not to get one LOL. Just kidding, it was my friend's.... But also if it's too high, it's hard to get in too (and get off - may fall). So something to consider.
The following users liked this post:
sick21 (06-17-20)
Old 06-18-20, 04:08 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Thanks all. I meant at my current age up above in my OP not my QX's age. I am 72. I test drove a Toyota Land Cruiser back in the mid 90s and it felt like the way you are describing a LX in terms of ride and drive. I liked the vehicle then and likely would now too but a test drive is in order. We do not need or use the third row seat in our QX so its not an issue. I am use to big tire size as the AWD QX has 22's on it. My LS is an L with AWD with a bigger tire size on it than the base LS. We use to drive to NM mountains a few imes a year fastest way to the place family has includes a 10 mile dirt road former forest service trail that is rough to most of my family but the big tires smooth things out riding over some of the dips in the washboard like sections of this road

I am most likely to just sell the QX and keep the LS long term as both are low mileage for their age. My 2011 QX has 85k miles on it after 10 yards of ownership. My LS is five and a half years old and has 53k miles on it.

Old 06-18-20, 05:10 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a 2007 LS460 a couple years back and currently have a 2011 LX. Our other car is a 2015 Q70 but I'm an SUV guy so anytime we get to use the LX I prefer to drive it. It definitely drives like a truck, most likely because of the solid rear axle but that's part of the appeal. It's not going to be a smooth ride like the LS but the height and size are a good trade off. One of my favorite features is the adjustable suspension. I swear the switches are bound to break because I use them so much. Plus the fact that it's based on such a reliable vehicle like LC I would say it's a good choice if you're not planning to change vehicle again.
Old 06-18-20, 07:05 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

My wife grew up on a ranch and a truck ride is not a word I use around her. Lol I will have to test drive it alone t see how to pitch it to her. She now thinks a Hampton Inn i camping lol. I had to work hard to get my first SUV which I did in 2008 right after I retired and took five adults on a 11k mile 6 week tiip all over the western US and Canada. She liked my first genertion.QX for that trip and I traded it in for the new Japan made model in 2010 (it was a 2011 model)
Old 06-18-20, 09:02 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

I love the 2011+ QX56 so much. I really wish they would have done a better job updating it than they have. After about a decade of owning yours, I can understand why you're looking to replace it and maybe make a little change.

Like I said, I don't own an LX yet but I've driven a few used (2017+) and they're a peach compared to the GM suvs that I'm very familiar with. But I wouldn't say its as soft sprung as our QX80 was or like a traditional Lexus. I feel its a very good balance, though. And I do believe the seats were more comfortable than the weirdly big/flat seats in the QX. Not as cushy but soft enough and well fitting.

Definitely find one to get some seat time with. I look forward to your experience and opinion.
Old 06-18-20, 10:04 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

I am very happy with my 2011 QX it has been a great vehicle. Major use for it was a trip from DFW to Angel Fire, NM a coupe of times a year. On a road trip this thing is very comfy on the highway streaking at 85mph so i can cover the 625 mile trip in under 9 hours. The big seats are roomy and easy to be comfortable in for a long trip. Then as we are approaching high mountains of NM we hit a 10 mile direct/rock road that use to be a forest service trail. It is washboard like and other famiky members wont take this road which saves about 30 miles distance and makes the shortest time to drive there too. The road is rough on smaller and typical vehicles but the 22 inch "feet" walk rihght over the bumps and valleys and it hardly jars me. We can hit snow at this altitude too, in all but middle of summer, this thing is great in the snow too well balanced weight distribution. It has AWD too and handles slick rocks with ease.

The reason I am considering giving this thing up is my wife is not well enough to drive any more and her health makes this high altitude destination non workable for us. The home there is 9500 feet up. This vehicle has been flawless to me but it not as much fun to drive around town as on the road and we are not doing roads trips much any longer. So it is the logicl one to go but hate to do so as we both love this reliable monster. Mine has the hydraulic suspension system which makes it handle road bumps without bouncing. It is a great option to have and one that does not get enough attention by the reviewers. When I got it, the package for us was over 5k though it included other features this is the one i had to have.
Old 06-18-20, 10:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I own a 2010 LS460L (RWD) and a 2010 LX 570. Knowing how an LS 460L rides...You're not going to get an LS type of ride in an LX, but I'd argue you aren't going to get that in any SUV that you consider. I drive our LX on multiple 7-10 hour road trips each year and I find it as comfortable as my LS460 (how I feel when I get out of the vehicle), but it is not nearly as quiet as the LS. The LX is an absolute tank in terms of reliability and safety which were requirements for us. Prior to owning the LX we owned a GX and I'd never be able to go back to that after having the LX (width in the LX, luxurious feel of the LX, etc). The LX is really heavy - so it can feel a bit cumbersome to drive around town occasionally. I personally don't mind it, but it's an observation.

So - having said that, I'll say my aunt recently bought a 2019 QX80. I drove that for about a week and was pretty impressed - I'd give serious consideration to that whenever we replace our LX. One thing I dislike about the LX is the lack of 2nd row captain chairs (important for us, likely not for you) and I really hate the 3rd row jump seats because they take up valuable storage space and are impractical to remove and re-install. Again, that may not be an issue for you. If the LX had captain chairs and made the 3rd row easily removable, I'd never consider anything other than an LX unless I was dead set on going electric (or to get a Range Rover, different story!).

I'd encourage you to consider looking at a Hyundai Palisade or a Kia Telluride. You're going to get a very comfortable vehicle with a high level of luxury and safety features at a really reasonable price. And the ride quality is going to be more like what you are used to in that they are both designed to be more quiet and subdued for noise and road feel. They are not meant for off-roading (not saying they aren't somewhat capable) which is where the LX and LandCruiser earned their stripes, but you pay for that heritage a bit in overall ride quality. Hope that helps, just my $.02 of course.
Old 06-18-20, 12:29 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
This vehicle has been flawless to me but it not as much fun to drive around town as on the road and we are not doing roads trips much any longer.
A QX is much better around town than an LX. It has a more smooth ride and lighter steering.