LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Does 8 speed auto always look for high gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 02:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Does 8 speed auto always look for high gear?

Hey guys,

LX570 will be my next vehicle. I'm still chewing on '13-'15 vs '16+

I've read road tests that say the 8spd transmission in the newer ones is always just looking for high gear, which makes truck feel slightly sluggish. On contrary, the older one with the 6speed I've never read a complaint. In fact, all I hear/have read is how good the pickup is on those.

Depending on the severity of this, it would be a deal breaker and I'd go for an older one with the 6 speed.

I couldn't give a **** less about mileage on these, and I feel like that's all the 8spd "upgrade" was for, and I keep reading that all it does is try to get to highest gear ASAP.

My buddy made a good point that it's probably adaptable, but I can't find any data on that. I want a transmission that knows to hold an upshift, screw fuel economy.

May I ask some of you to share your personal experiences?
Old 07-31-20, 04:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Hey guys,

LX570 will be my next vehicle. I'm still chewing on '13-'15 vs '16+

I've read road tests that say the 8spd transmission in the newer ones is always just looking for high gear, which makes truck feel slightly sluggish. On contrary, the older one with the 6speed I've never read a complaint. In fact, all I hear/have read is how good the pickup is on those.

Depending on the severity of this, it would be a deal breaker and I'd go for an older one with the 6 speed.

I couldn't give a **** less about mileage on these, and I feel like that's all the 8spd "upgrade" was for, and I keep reading that all it does is try to get to highest gear ASAP.

My buddy made a good point that it's probably adaptable, but I can't find any data on that. I want a transmission that knows to hold an upshift, screw fuel economy.

May I ask some of you to share your personal experiences?
Prior to buying a '13 Land Cruiser in 2015, I test drove a local '11 LX with the 8-speed...seemed like the thing hunted for the right gear...a lot. Toyota had a TSB that affected the 8-speeds...have not driven one that has the TSB.

I have no issues with the 6-speed. Shifts are firm and immediate, which is what I need in the mountains and/or pulling a trailer. Shifts are firmer in the PWR mode whether I shift manually or let the transmission do it. OD is nice with Idaho's 80 mph limit...tach says 2200 with speedo a little over 80.

Fuel economy is the last thing I worry about.
The following users liked this post:
AJT123 (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 04:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hankinid
Prior to buying a '13 Land Cruiser in 2015, I test drove a local '11 LX with the 8-speed...seemed like the thing hunted for the right gear...a lot. Toyota had a TSB that affected the 8-speeds...have not driven one that has the TSB.

I have no issues with the 6-speed. Shifts are firm and immediate, which is what I need in the mountains and/or pulling a trailer. Shifts are firmer in the PWR mode whether I shift manually or let the transmission do it. OD is nice with Idaho's 80 mph limit...tach says 2200 with speedo a little over 80.

Yes I don't want too many gears. LS460 8spd is same way, always shifting, one of the reasons I've never bought one. My LS430 with 6 speed is perfect number of gears.
Old 07-31-20, 06:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid

The 8 Speed was a 2016 intro on the LX, 2011 would still be a 6.

I doubt either tranmission is bad, but at least with the 8, if you really cant get the with the economy program, you can simply be in sport mode and punch it.
Old 07-31-20, 06:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The 8 Speed was a 2016 intro on the LX, 2011 would still be a 6.

I doubt either tranmission is bad, but at least with the 8, if you really cant get the with the economy program, you can simply be in sport mode and punch it.
Yes that would work, good idea. However, sport doesn't change around the suspension or anything else either does it? I don't want any of that mess, I want plush and luxury.

I don't think either is bad, but I think 8 gears is too much in general and I'd rather have the 6 speed hold gears properly, gas mileage be damned.

Like I said I drove an LS460 with 8spd, didn't care for it.
Old 07-31-20, 07:30 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Yes that would work, good idea. However, sport doesn't change around the suspension or anything else either does it? I don't want any of that mess, I want plush and luxury.

I don't think either is bad, but I think 8 gears is too much in general and I'd rather have the 6 speed hold gears properly, gas mileage be damned.

Like I said I drove an LS460 with 8spd, didn't care for it.
"Sport" changes suspension settings from cushy to firmer. I have a Land Cruiser, so I don't have 200 series LX info, but an owners manual (available also online) will give you that info.

On the cruiser, "PWR" speeds up shift changes and drops you into direct drive faster than regular. It saves your brakes on mountain down hills and holds the speed very well.

No effect on suspension...and no ideal what it's called on the LX.
AJT123 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 06:09 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default S v S+

Per Lexus, "S mode dials up powertrain response and dials down power steering assist to yield a sportier driving feel, and, to that, SPORT S+ mode adds firmer damping control from AVS to prioritize handling agility."

So there is no change to suspension is S mode. I don't notice any change in the steering feel but do notice, and like, the responsiveness of the throttle. All that lag goes away.
AJT123 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 09:36 AM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Switching between 'Eco/Sport' changes throttle response / engine / tranny management.... nothing to do with suspension firmness. There's a separate switch that adjust suspension firmness behind the shifter.
AJT123 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 02:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by closenough
Per Lexus, "S mode dials up powertrain response and dials down power steering assist to yield a sportier driving feel, and, to that, SPORT S+ mode adds firmer damping control from AVS to prioritize handling agility."

So there is no change to suspension is S mode. I don't notice any change in the steering feel but do notice, and like, the responsiveness of the throttle. All that lag goes away.
So I take it you own one with the 8spd?

You're saying it doesn't rush to get into 8th gear in sport mode?

I have a pwr swtich on my LS430 which livens it up a little bit, downshifts quicker and holds gears longer.

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

I do want the '16+ just because of the upgraded look. Those 21" wheels are the best looking Lexus rims I've ever seen. And the thing just looks sick especially from the front.
Old 08-01-20, 02:46 PM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I take it you own one with the 8spd?

You're saying it doesn't rush to get into 8th gear in sport mode?

I have a pwr swtich on my LS430 which livens it up a little bit, downshifts quicker and holds gears longer.

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

I do want the '16+ just because of the upgraded look. Those 21" wheels are the best looking Lexus rims I've ever seen. And the thing just looks sick especially from the front.
Yes, I have one with the 8 speed. It definitely holds the gears longer and is faster to downshift in S (or S+.) I tend to use S more around town and not at speeds high enough to get to top gear so I can't really answer your question about rushing to 8th gear. I just don't recall. I definitely like the responsiveness.

There is one single **** in the center console that allows selection between the 4 modes: Eco, Comfort, S, and S+

Have you driven the 8-speed?
AJT123 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by closenough
Yes, I have one with the 8 speed. It definitely holds the gears longer and is faster to downshift in S (or S+.) I tend to use S more around town and not at speeds high enough to get to top gear so I can't really answer your question about rushing to 8th gear. I just don't recall. I definitely like the responsiveness.

There is one single **** in the center console that allows selection between the 4 modes: Eco, Comfort, S, and S+

Have you driven the 8-speed?
No, I haven't. I haven't even driven one period. (I know...lame.)

If you're telling me you're satisfied with yours and the 8 speed transmission, that is good. I want real owner advice not car mag articles.

Thanks for info!
Old 08-01-20, 06:02 PM
samosuv
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Earlier this year I decided on a 16+ LX and am happy with it (handling, comfort, acceleration, etc.). I also was looking for the most up to date safety features and must admit that looking identical to a 2020 model (sport package notwithstanding) was a plus. Buying a new 2020 wasn’t in the cards.

And similar to what closenough posted, I can’t comment on rushing to 8th gear either. Seems just fine when I accelerate to the flow of traffic (or faster) on our freeways too.

This is my first 200 series. I still have a 100 series Land Cruiser that was my DD for about 14 years.
AJT123 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 07:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by samosuv
Earlier this year I decided on a 16+ LX and am happy with it (handling, comfort, acceleration, etc.). I also was looking for the most up to date safety features and must admit that looking identical to a 2020 model (sport package notwithstanding) was a plus. Buying a new 2020 wasn’t in the cards.

And similar to what closenough posted, I can’t comment on rushing to 8th gear either. Seems just fine when I accelerate to the flow of traffic (or faster) on our freeways too.

This is my first 200 series. I still have a 100 series Land Cruiser that was my DD for about 14 years.
100s were great also. There are tons around here. The ONLY, and I mean only, ***** in 100s armor is that it was underpowered. I've had experience with those, they're screwed together like a Rolex.

It sounds to me that you guys are saying that LX570 it doesn't generally get into 8th gear around town, yes? That's good.
Old 08-03-20, 05:12 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

I previously owned a 16 LC and presently own a 18 LX -both had the 8 speed- the transmission in the 16 felt less polished that the 18. I'm not sure if it is the lexus version of the software behind it or if they have refined it over the two year period. I can tell you that the 18 LX is butter smooth and never hunts. Whether you are driving around town spirited or driving like a Prius you'll be happy.
AJT123 (08-03-20)